Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

SITE MAINTENANCE

The iBoats Forums will be down for maintenance starting at 1 PM MST on 12/16/2017. The estimated amount of downtime is 3 hours. Thanks for being a part of the iBoats community!
See more
See less

Emergency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys - We've been hit with these spammers with links to the sports streaming site **********.

It's good that you are flagging the threads when you come across them and we appreciate the help.

It's bad when we have 4 and 5 flags for the same spammer thread and from a Mod standpoint, we have to weed through the flag reports to find the spam threads. Personally, I've dumped 10 or eleven threads so far today and I'm sure more are coming.

What's really bad is I mistakenly banned Redfred1. I have some work to do fix that.

Here's my request - If you see any of these spammers linking to sporting events, please hold off flagging them. We have have dumped far more than you have seen and with a cleaner thread list, it is far easier for us.
    BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Okey Dokey, no more spam reporting by me
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 SeaDoo GTX
    Raw Water Pump Maintenance
    Merc Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

This only temporary. When this passes and hopefully the SOB's get tired of being banned soon, we can get back to normal.

If you do see misplaced posts, multi-threads started, etc. - the normal things that should be flagged, please do.

Thanks guys.

Comment

You got it!
        Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

All spammers should be hog tied and placed on a fire ant hill
          1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

@ahicks
            @dingbat

We appreciate it, but see Dons 1st poist.

You both flagged some of the same spam.

We are trying to keep up w banning and deleting it.

Spammers are using a water cannon to fill the boat and we're bailing as fast as we can, albeit w a little red dixie cup
            Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

My guess is the two folks were not notified because you have to wait for the names to show up before you complete typing, otherwise is jus an @ symbol of such. Some times I have to backspace across the names a couple times before it starts to show up.
              07 SeaDoo GTX
              Merc Adults Only

Comment

The thread title is over-reaction, but I was more than a little PO'ed when I accidently banned Redfred1. Thanks for putting up with these SOBs! <- I do mean spammers.

Let me show you what we Mods see after kicking and deleting these turds and it is only the Sailing section. The 2 white posts are valid and the pinks are the spam. And it doesn't include some of the later posts today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spam.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	10478146

Comment

You do have your work cut out for ya, and sorry I help cause some of it.

Wonder if since many have "live stream" in the link could add some code to turn them to ******** like what happens when some links are used?
                  07 SeaDoo GTX
                  Merc Adults Only

Comment

Whats bad is they spoof IP addresses and I don't know how they validate with spoofed emails, so we can't use either the IP or emails to stop them from signing up.

Unfortunately, using the censoring filter doesn't stop them from clogging the forum with junk.

I threw an idea to Admin after finding something that may work, but nothing positive yet.

Comment

If for no other reason then tying up bandwidth when they post repeatedly or us trying to ban and delete them, its a huge drain on iboats network.

Thanks Dodge, the notify failure/problem is a regular occurance when posting from my phone. I'll try again, but the server very rarely populates the names as you describe when on my droid, which is how I use 99% of my time online.

ahicks
                      dingbat

Edit: got 1, again for the other
                      ahicks
                      Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

After the edit, both notifies are working for ahicks,

Jeez....

Thanks for the dependability vB5.....

Comment

Originally posted by jbcurt00 View Post
                          After the edit, both notifies are working for ahicks,

Jeez....

Thanks for the dependability vB5.....
                          It will be interesting to see if editing in a users name after the post was posted will actually summons them as it seemed to me in the past doing an edit, they never made an appearance thereafter.

Fun Times

Did it notify you?
                          Last edited by GA_Boater; September 2nd, 2017, 08:09 PM.
                          OEM Quality Gear Lubes And Greases Available @ iboats.com - BOAT SPECS - FORUM GUIDELINES - Volvo, OMC & Merc Stern Drive Technical Information For DIYers. - OEM VOLVO PARTS POWERED BY iBOATS.COM - All OEM Parts / Parts Lookup Now Available Through iboats.com -

Comment

GA_Boater, No your edit did not summons me....I only noticed your edit when I saw the updated post you made. Couldn't possibly be a another VB5 issue....Could it??

Finally, the spammer picked the right sport to promote. ; Click image for larger version

Name:	hurling.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	10478434
                            Last edited by Fun Times; September 3rd, 2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X