iBoaters Helping iBoaters - Photobucket Recovery Suggestions ONLY

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
iBoaters need your help. As many of you know, Photobucket has locked the door for using them as a hosting service for forums. Various threads have had posts about different hosting services, ways to resize photos for direct photo attachment which avoids 3rd party hosting and other ideas.

This thread will be to consolidate all these in one place. Any posts other than providing help will be deleted. The thread needs to be usable until things settle down and only helpful posts will be permitted.

Please help and stay on topic. Thank you.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

How to download photos from Photobucket.

Open your Photobucket account. I created a PB_backup and sub-directories on my hard drive mirroring my PB albums as shown below.

...........Photobucket pbalbums.PNG

..........,......................PC Directory mirror.PNG

Next in PB open an album, Boating in this case. Click on Download Album
choosealb.PNG

A reCAPTCHA window opens. Go through the human verification until you get a green checkmark to verify you are not a robot and click on Download. download.PNG

When PB begins the generate the Download zip file, it displays a wait screen.
dlwaitscreen1.png

If the file runs for a while and doesn't finish, close and and wait for the email. The email says the file is available for 12 hours.

Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
No Title

When I edit my thread to get rid of the PB meter, how do I get the image thumbnails to populate? In edit I have two options, upload attachment, or by URL. I want my edited post to look like my thread replies. Keep in mind I'm uploading images from my iPhone.

See below. I want a thumbnail, not a link.

Attachments

• photo270060.PNG
    photo270060.PNG
    143.9 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Is there an option on your Iphones browser to request desktop version?

I think its a function of using the mobile iboats site. The server recognizes your on a mobile device and pares down the site. The site looks drastically different on a desktop vs my S6 Samsung (or the previous S6) Android. But the browser menu has a request desktop version choice and some features that arent normally available are in the desktop version.

My mobile also doesnt have it, but when I'm looking at a list of uploaded (but not yet posted) pix on a desktop, there is a Insert chouce listed besides each pix. Clicking that inserts the pix into a post similarly to inserting the code from a 3rd party site.

Perhaps your Iphone has a similar desktop view? Or get a mobile browser that does..... FireFox did I think. But now I just use whatever the resident browser for S6 is..... Chrome, IIRC...

GA_Boater

When I edit my thread to get rid of the PB meter, how do I get the image thumbnails to populate? In edit I have two options, upload attachment, or by URL. I want my edited post to look like my thread replies. Keep in mind I'm uploading images from my iPhone.

See below. I want a thumbnail, not a link.

Chuck - I snipped an edit of your post, but one thing Mods can't do is edit photo attachments, so other than remove, I can't change to a Thumbnail. On your iPhone when you upload do you have any insert options? I'm on a PC and I might have to try this on my tablet. All my phones are dumb.

One of the things we need to do is come up with a reliable way to upload from phones. We've been working on it, but the PB mess has made it more important.

thumbnail.PNG

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Wow,

I have never seen anything like this on iboats before! yikes!!:eek:

That said, my wife and I are working on a solution to the problem that uses a graphical interface for people to host their photo's since PB went retard until iboats comes up with a system that works for this situation, we pretty much have unlimited resources to host stuff on our servers, but it seems some are getting really frustrated with this whole situation.

One thing I will say if your thread is over a few months old, it is probably not worth worrying about, the amount of traffic on this system is immense and to restore images to an old thread is far more work than really needs to be done.

Just chill out, I am sure there are a few of us that are working to come up with a solution, don't get impatient, there is always a different direction that can be taken.

Hell, right now I can set up FTP accounts and offer image hosting, but I have worries about how many know how to resize images for the web and know how to use a FTP client...

Chill guys...

:facepalm: :joyous:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Easy... go to imgur.com

Let photobucket have zero photos on their server.

Imgur is also blocking 3rd party images on some of the various forums around the internet and has been for a couple of years now.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Chuck - I snipped an edit of your post, but one thing Mods can't do is edit photo attachments, so other than remove, I can't change to a Thumbnail. On your iPhone when you upload do you have any insert options? I'm on a PC and I might have to try this on my tablet. All my phones are dumb.

One of the things we need to do is come up with a reliable way to upload from phones. We've been working on it, but the PB mess has made it more important.

Yeah I saw that, but only after I went back in to edit the original edit. I can tap any of those hot buttons but nothing happens. I'm just worried that I don't have a good solution to reinsert images to replace the broken links. I'd really like to fix my thread.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Is there an option on your Iphones browser to request desktop version?

I think its a function of using the mobile iboats site. The server recognizes your on a mobile device and pares down the site. The site looks drastically different on a desktop vs my S6 Samsung (or the previous S6) Android. But the browser menu has a request desktop version choice and some features that arent normally available are in the desktop version.

My mobile also doesnt have it, but when I'm looking at a list of uploaded (but not yet posted) pix on a desktop, there is a Insert chouce listed besides each pix. Clicking that inserts the pix into a post similarly to inserting the code from a 3rd party site.

Perhaps your Iphone has a similar desktop view? Or get a mobile browser that does..... FireFox did I think. But now I just use whatever the resident browser for S6 is..... Chrome, IIRC...[/QUOTE]

No desktop view. I don't own a PC. Maybe I'll try on my iPad. It actually has a different view than my iPhone 7 for some reason.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Same result on the iPad. Tapping the insert button has no action. Remove will remove an attachment. I don't see any way of getting the thumbnail image or inserting in the post.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
While all threads on iBoats are valuable, the topics in the Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum hold particular archival value, since there is nothing more useful when trying to rebuild a boat than to find someone who has documented a restoration of the same model or type of boat. For that reason, I'd encourage folks who are documenting their restorations to take the time to resize the pics for uploading directly to iBoats.

Mod EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
This thread will be to consolidate all these in one place. Any posts other than providing help will be deleted. The thread needs to be usable until things settle down and only helpful post will permitted.

Please help and stay on topic. Thank you

Its a HOW TO topic, not a what not to do, or why it WAS a bad idea to use 3rd party pix hosts. Well covered in now closed topic about it. Extremely well covered....

Helpful suggestions for what can be done NOW

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Another option..Set up a Blogger account

https://www.blogger.com/about/?r=2

It is owned by Google and you can create blogs by just posting pictures and then use the links to these picture to post elsewhere if you want.

I am going to be experimenting with this option.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have used this service for several years now and it is pretty easy to use, it is a 3rd party hosting service, but easy to set up an account, easy to upload to and they provide all of the code you need to put pictures in threads..

https://postimages.org/

briangcc

Commander
A couple options I could think of...

Sign up for a web hosting service with your own domain name (ie. www.briangccboatrestorations.com). Most give you a decent amount of storage these days, some with unlimited transfers (ie. bandwidth). Some have very nominal fees associated with them. Not free by any stretch but not $400/yr and you may get your own email address so you can move away from @hotmail or @gmail, etc. Godaddy, 1&1, etc are some of the hosts out there with very pocket friendly plans. 1&1 is running a deal right now with basically $1/month on their lowest tier for the first year - domain name extra.

For more advanced users, install IIS or Apache on a Windows PC to host your photos and use a service like noip.com to give you a net (www) address. Post the photos using the new address. I would suggest reviewing your contract with your ISP (internet service provider) to make sure there isn't a cap on uploads during your billing cycle. Your PC would need to be on at all times so make sure you have a good antivirus suite installed. The free plan does require you to confirm your PC name every 30 days per their website, small annoyance for something free.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Godaddy, 1&1, etc are some of the hosts out there with very pocket friendly plans.
You definitley want to check with GoDaddy before you go that route. I have heard their TOS does not allow 3rd party hosting.

I have a website and sometimes host my pictures from there as well but not all web hosts like you to be doing 3rd party hosting from their servers so you have to check first.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Only see the first one.

I wonder of we should create a separate thread for testing.