Photobucket (outrageous charges)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just realised/thought about it.... PB are still getting all those data requests. Everytime someone opens a thread containing a PB hosted image, their servers are still getting a data request... and now instead of sending back the requested data, they are sending those speedo thingys. So, what have they achieved? Nothing the way I look at it...Joke's on them.... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
You realize the speedo picture is less thn 8KB right? So instead of a 400KB download, they have reduced it to 8KB. Net win for them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Nope, didn't miss that Bruce, it's a good point. See, 75% of their clientele were free folks. That leaves 25% as paid folks. 100% of these people can no longer post photos to 3rd party. Nearly all of these folks are pissed off and 0% will cough up $400 for their crappy subscription.
I am going to say this for at least the 5th time here. They DO NOT want you to do the subscription. That's why they put it high to get the 0%! They want to be out of 3rd part posting all together. They could have charged $10,000 to get the same result.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'm going to try to fix the some of the broken images in my threads this weekend. Does anyone have a favorite program they use to resize their pics for uploading to the forum? My computer is a windows 8.1 machine if that makes a difference.

Download the opensource (means free) GIMP https://www.gimp.org/ (Every Linux distribution [also free] comes with it)

While they might ask for a donation when you first install, they don't try to sell you anything.

Another good one is ImageMagick Available for Winblows, MAC [trucks only] and the Linux's, Android, IOS etc.....

The authoritative ImageMagick web site is https://www.imagemagick.org. The authoritative source code repository is http://git.imagemagick.org/repos/ImageMagick. We maintain a source code mirror at GitLab and GitHub.

Another edit.....Looks like you can photohost on Comcast (if they're your ISP) and Dropbox to name a couple......

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
If you downloaded your albums from PB, the pics are already resized. Mine where anyway.

GA, how long did it take to create the download file in PhotoBucket? I have 412 pictures in one album. I started it and it was still creating an hour and a half later. I just canceled it, Maybe everybody and their brother is using that feature and causing it to run slow? They said they would email me when it was done.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
I am going to say this for at least the 5th time here. They DO NOT want you to do the subscription. That's why they put it high to get the 0%! They want to be out of 3rd part posting all together. They could have charged $10,000 to get the same result.

You missed my point bruce....

The point is, if they are interested in being in business (any kind of business really) they shouldn't screw their customers. They completely jacked their entire customer base.

Now, if they wish to go out of business entirely, they made a good step forward. Although it would have been way easier to simply close the doors right off.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Now, if they wish to go out of business entirely, they made a good step forward. Although it would have been way easier to simply close the doors right off.
I am sure we'll all be watching!!
:pop2::pop2:
:pop2::pop2:

This is probably a good time to move on with this thread......

Cheers Y'all!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
GA, how long did it take to create the download file in PhotoBucket? I have 412 pictures in one album. I started it and it was still creating an hour and a half later. I just canceled it, Maybe everybody and their brother is using that feature and causing it to run slow? They said they would email me when it was done.

The biggest album was about 250 pics. The first time I started, it seemed to be taking forever and I stopped it. The next time it seemed to be only a few minutes. PB is probably getting slammed with downloads.

One nice thing is after PB starts to build the zip file a notice is displayed saying no need to wait. An email is sent to the email addy on file saying the zip file is available to download for 12 hours. Clicking the Download button in the email starts the down load and using the Save option allows you to choose a destination directory.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You missed my point bruce....

The point is, if they are interested in being in business (any kind of business really) they shouldn't screw their customers.
So..how much were you spending for your PB account?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Oh Yah, certainly not iboats fault. Just moving on is all. I put a tremendous amount of work into documenting my projects, and I won't be going back to make all the repairs. I won't be starting over either. So, moving on guys, cheers!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Anybody remember GAs request? How about we ALL move on and post workable solutions for moving forward?

At this point, PB and our loss is what it is. Unlikely anything will change where we stand now w PBs decision, whatever prompted it, the business model that failed or what THEY are doing now....

Frankly, I dont care 1 bit what they do moving forward. It will have no impact on me, my iboats experience what so ever....

If they succeed w new ventures, capture new customers, keep their free storage (but NO 3rd party posting) customers. Or sink to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, it makes no difference to me.

As an MSN and MS computer products user, I intend to use MS Onedrive moving forward. Seems Watermann is happy w the service and its use.

If iboats updated forum stuff works as intended/planned, I may change my pix posting choice.

I'll go back thru some of my own topics to repost pix, but the shear volume of 20K posts will mean a bunch of my posts will likely forever have a speedo of doom. Fine by me, its PB thats at fault, I followed the permissible use of my PB acct.

Doesnt mean I plan to vocalize my displeasure w the TOS change or their handling of its rollout any further, or brow beat them about it.

For me, PB is a black hole on the internet, and it has consumed the last of its space in my life. Good riddence.

I encourage any and all frustrated w whats happened, why PB made the change or irritated at the poorly handled TOS rollout, let it go and move on. There is plenty enough to worry about thats important in our lives. Focus on that and find a new to you pix posting method that works for you.

To do otherwise, impinges on your pursuit of happiness.

Hopefully that pursuit includes boats, working on boats, using boats and talking about boats AT Iboats, the best darn site online for it.

Think of this as the 6Million dollar iboats challenge: WE can rebuild it better then it was before :becky:

iboats_tim et al will likely hope it isnt actually a $6M challlenge :llama:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys, give it up!

Some threads are just so old or have too many pics to restore. If you aren't going to restore pics in your threads, fine.

If you are going to fix them, fine.

If you are leaving the forum because of this PB issue, also fine. We'll keep the light on for you because ALL forums have this problem, not just iBoats.

We have been bitching and crying for more than a week and guess what? PB is still blocking photos and all the pity parties won't change that situation. Ante up 400 bucks or accept the challenge and live with it. Move on!

This thread will have no more groaning about something we have no control over. No more calling for PB to go out of business.

There have been some good ideas and different ways to make up for PB pulling the rug out from under the world. Please help out in this thread. - iBoaters Helping iBoaters - Photobucket Anonymous.

This thread is closed

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The biggest album was about 250 pics. The first time I started, it seemed to be taking forever and I stopped it. The next time it seemed to be only a few minutes. PB is probably getting slammed with downloads.

One nice thing is after PB starts to build the zip file a notice is displayed saying no need to wait. An email is sent to the email addy on file saying the zip file is available to download for 12 hours. Clicking the Download button in the email starts the down load and using the Save option allows you to choose a destination directory.

This worked great. When I logged in to PB all my photos were checked. Created an album and downloaded it. Made a folder on my computer in pix, moved the downloaded file there(zip file), then clicked Extract All. It created another file in my folder and I was able to see all my PB pix. Then deleted the zip file. Only took a couple minutes for the whole process for a 360 files..... Eazy Peazy.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.