Photobucket (outrageous charges)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I have just noticed today that Photobucket will be charging.... Wait for it.... $399 PER YEAR for us to upload photos we wish to use on forums etc.

Personally, I think this outrageous, and I won't be paying them a single cent. Had they asked $40/year, or a flat fee of $100, then I would have, but $339 every year? No, not going to happen.

Most ISPs these days allow members to upload to a storage space, depending on the ISP, of anything from a few hundred mega to a few gig.... I will be utilising that for all my photos that I display here. I shall download all the photos I have on PB that I don't have already on my drive, and tell them, in a very 'non-family friendly' way, exactly what they can do with they overpriced services....

I suggest everybody who can, do the same thing.

Cheers and regards,

Chris.......

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
That worked, or at least I can see the pic.

Last edited:

achris

I've started the conversion. It may take some time, and I'm not the only one.

jbcurt00

Staff member
That worked, or at least I can see the pic.

I can too....

It seems somewhat random, I dont use 10% of my 'allowable' free storage, and as far as I can tell, the bulk of my posted pix are still showing up, no blocked content.

Mod EDIT: well, seems, I misspoke, until this post, I hadnt gotten the throttling reorext image from PB.

Certainly something needs to be done. Massive PITA if it torpedos even half of the PB hosted pix here... and I use it on all the forums I frequent. Carp :deadhorse:

Last edited:

achris

I've moved everything off PB, loaded it up to my ISP space and changed the links in my signature and as many of the stickie posts I have that I have found (if anyone sees any that I missed, please PM me), and deleted my PB account (and made them aware that youtube actually pays people to upload stuff!). Told them what I thought of their money-grab in the process, which was very cathartic.

Chris..........

bunnymoney

Seaman
So, since I don't have a PB account the reason I can't see photos tagged with the 3RD PARTY HOSTING is not caused by me?

southkogs

Staff member
No - Photobucket has made a big change. Can't tell if they've been bought or not, but their terms of service have changed. I've got the throttle box starting to show up, and have started removing my images from Photobucket. Gonna' dissolve my account and move on.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah they got around to all of us now it seems... well that sucks... all 3 of my threads and sig pics are now gone and replaced with the meter. The link embed is still active. What a load.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I moved all my pics back to my computer for now, I didn't have that many on PB, only stuff I was linking here and other places, I haven't deleted my PB account yet though. Now to find another place to put them.

dozerII

Admiral
Waiting to see what happens to mine I upgraded my account 3 years ago and have been paying them $4.99 per. :rolleyes:

Watermann

I went to my PB and can see the thumbs of the linked pics but when I click on them to download the pic back locally I get that same meter on my PB page even after I severed the 3rd party hosting. Seems they figured out people were taking their pics back and have now stopped that. I can open any of the pics that were not 3rd party hosted but the ones that are have been locked. The only way to get them back is to hit share and email the pic to yourself, the pics are being held hostage... what a huge pita!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Waiting to see what happens to mine I upgraded my account 3 years ago and have been paying them $4.99 per. :rolleyes:

Sorry but that aint gonna work either! They want the $399.99 plan if you want to host photos to 3rd party. I've got photos spread out over 7 different forums so yeah this blows dirt.

If someone has a solution I'm all ears. I believe most of my photos are all saved on my computer other than some that where only take to be uploaded to use on the forums.

achris

My solution is to utilize the storage space my ISP provides as part of my Internet service. If you right click on the photo of my boat in my signature you can copy image link and paste it to Word to see where I'm storing it.

Chris. ...

Watermann

Looks like MS One Drive will link pics here... for free... test...

y4ml1W7o8UdFJD1vhkKT0GYQwuqkyL8zQYeltOXy67ndYFH6kMV5UyNzzIid6nXH4EHapG3xkOjA1KMwpNKHWwnUzW8vquuH2TM-A9ei6SpBRhmdTsYEoKGDRGjrPzn5MN8s61qEQYEDWcluIRqO32PNQpfsYsM_V02d3f6Iu0R3PAcvdvxK8QfoCYjMzrL8dsZz4O3QZVmzCHnr_3swjwghA

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
For a long time, i was able to post photos straight into threads here. that seems to not work any more. Problem is, I cant remember how I did it.

edit: well, this worked.
20170423_193744.1.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I stopped using photo bucket years ago but for different reasons.

I now just shoot lower resolution pictures (under 700kb) and then upload to my laptop into the appropriate directories and then upload the ones I want to post on my thread direct. That has served me well and cost zero. And I have them on here without any third party involvement. And I still have everyone in different directories to look back on on my laptop as well. And since I do backups, I have no worries if either copy crashes. .

But everybody has to do what they like the better for them. And I am certainly not trying to sway anybody to follow my setup.

When I see any photo linkage place offering free storage, I have to think to myself, how are they doing that and making money. I mean think about how much storage those places have to maintain as well as the cost to update the software as well. And then between the advertisements they all eventually will go to for income, and now locking everybody's pictures up and holding them for ransom, I get that answers. Should be a law against that. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.