Is there a way to force New Members to fill in more Profile info?

tpenfield

Staff member
All too often we see new members join up, post a question or issue. . . Folks then try to help them, and often refer to their member profile for background information, like where they are located (country/state) what type of boats the have or previously owned, etc. Yet many of the new members leave their profile information blank, so it becomes an area of frustration when trying to gain additional information that can help the respondents address the question or issue.

I am wondering if the registration process can be changed so that some additional information is required rather than optional :noidea:

I think it would be helpful.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
All too often we see new members join up, post a question or issue. . . Folks then try to help them, and often refer to their member profile for background information, like where they are located (country/state) what type of boats the have or previously owned, etc. Yet many of the new members leave their profile information blank, so it becomes an area of frustration when trying to gain additional information that can help the respondents address the question or issue.

I am wondering if the registration process can be changed so that some additional information is required rather than optional :noidea:

I think it would be helpful.

I agree that at a minimum their location should be listed. Forcing to list type of boat, etc may be hard as lots are looking for a first boat and don't have one to list.

southkogs

Staff member
I know we talked about this in the past, but the only place I could find was a topic from 2011. Lemme' bump this to iboats_tim and see if there are any ideas or limitations.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I say we taser them into submission

I think I'm turning into the old guy with the garden hose yelling at the kids "get off my lawn"

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You have to weigh in the pros and cons of forcing new members to fill out information. Some can see it as too much information give out and therefore refuse to join because of that. I understand what you are talking about, but need to approach this carefully to not appear to ask too much info. Some prospective members may think it is too invasive to offer up information. JMHO

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I would think that during the registration process would be an ideal time to strongly suggest certain profile fields get filled out in order to better provide assistance.
If you make the fields mandatory, what's to keep them from inputting inaccurate information?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe if a reason for the extra info would be offered, that would be a good way to get more fields filled in. Make it optional, but add verbiage to explain why it would be to their benefit. Just an idea. :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
GM, they dont read the rules when they sign up what makes us think they would read any suggested wording.

Tnstratofam

Commander
GM, they dont read the rules when they sign up what makes us think they would read any suggested wording.

:sad: I agree. Evidenced every time an old dead thread gets posted in by a newbie. Although some long time members do this as well.:facepalm:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Well I have to agree with you. I 'm sure I didn't either first off. BUT, If you force them to at least read the text to go to the next step, it could help. :noidea:

southkogs

Staff member
Another consideration is one that I find myself doing rather often ... when the site starts "requiring" too much information from me, I stop registering. I don't know the market research numbers on that, but it's a thought ...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I set my first social media type website up way back in '96, if you try to require more than a username and a password, people won't register, give them the option to just register with a username and password, you are going to get a very active community, try to require more information, you will get a dead community.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I have no prob putting in my zip code when asked, or a state and a country. Leave it at that and we should be ok

Maclin

Admiral
One tactic is to wordsmith an email reminder to ones that do not fill it out, reminding them of all the benefits of having key pieces filled in. That is if they choose Yes on Send me the Emails...!

southkogs

Staff member
An iBoat Forums Map was started a while back. People can put there location in HERE ... it's kinda' cool.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
That is if they choose Yes on Send me the Emails...!
seems like it is now default on many places to auto sign up; i'm assuming in the EULA no one ready before they click on. I remember when i used to be able to un check that box, now I hardly see them but get tons of email i have to unsubscribe to.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Not difficult to ask the questions if you have questions rather than having to check a profile then make assumptions. I am not putting anymore info than I have to. I choose not to take part in social media that discusses personal information, I am am a very private person. You can search my name online and you will find little to no information I intend to keep it that way.

southkogs

Staff member
That's cool, what's the procedure to dial a country where you are located ?
Upper left you'll see "ADDITIONS" - click that and drop down will appear.

Use the "+" and "-" at the bottom right to zoom in, and click and drag to navigate to where you want the marker placed (mine is placed at an intersection near where i live). Then use the ADDITIONS to place your marker.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Southkogs,

Thanks, I'm alreafy there. Was wondering if it would be a good idea to place a "World Member Locator" button on Iboats main page, say side of New Topics, Today's Post, Mark Channel Read buttons. We all know who we are, but not where each one is located. Don't know if already exists a button located somewhere ?

Happy Boating