I can't figure out this site !!!

rphillips

Seaman Apprentice
Kind of new here, trying to send a private message to a member, but can't get it out. I push private message, next page is who it's to, then subject, then message. At bottom it has 3 boxes cancel, preview, post. that doesn't look right, most places have a "send" box, this page doesn't. I tried the post box, but nothing happened, tried it 3 or 4 times. I found instructions for private messages, in the help section. One place it said to put in who my message was being sent to, then push "enter" when I'm on that page there is no "enter box, just cancel, preview, post. Tried to send message to "help" dept., that didn't work either. Now when I go to messages, it says I have no sent messages, nor do I have anything in my inbox. I feel kind of silly, it must be simple, but "What am I missing??"" thanks, Rick P

alldodge

Staff member
Easiest I found is first click on person name
Then press "private message" this will put the persons name in the To box
Enter subject
Enter message
Select Post

test.jpg

You can type the name but must wait for the website to bring up a list for you to select

southkogs

Staff member
Like AD, I usually find the person in a topic, click on their name on the left side of the thread and then hit "PRIVATE MESSAGE" in the image he posted above.

You can type the name but must wait for the website to bring up a list for you to select
^^^^ this is really important, so I'm making sure you saw it. If you look at the image above, your name has a little blue "x" by it. If that isn't there VBulletin hasn't recognized the member and isn't really sending your message anywhere.

"POST" is the same as "SEND."

:welcome:

rphillips

Seaman Apprentice
I thought that's exactly what I've been doing, found a post from guy I wanted to send to, clicked on him. Page came up with his name & little blue x, if I click on that x the name goes away, then need to re enter name, blue x comes back. Still showing nothing in my sent box, Doesn't that mean no messages have gone out? Maybe he doesn't want to respond, so nothing in in box, but shouldn't the message be in my sent box. Thanks, I'll try again

rphillips

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks AllDodge, received the test message in in box, still nothing in sent box. I gave it another shot

rphillips

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks jb received & replied to your private message. now 2 in in box, from you & AllDodge Still nothing in my sent box.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Dont Reply to my PM this time.

Start fresh from your Messages page and try to send me a PM directly rather then as a reply to my 1st PM.

And did you read my whole PM? Didnt answer 1 of the questions. Please do via the 2nd PM, not here.

Thanks

rphillips

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry jb, I wish I knew more about computers. The first time, you said reply, I didn't hit reply, I just clicked on your name & sent you a PM. This time I did hit reply. My reply is now in MY Inbox, but still nothing in sent box.

Fun Times

Staff member
clicked on him. Page came up with his name & little blue x, if I click on that x the name goes away, then need to re enter name, blue x comes back.
I think you know this but just in case....When creating a private message to someone, you want to leave the blue x up next to their name...There's not much need to click the x at all as you'll want to leave the username up that you want to talk to. The X is more for quickly removing a username when say there are multiple names being used for the same conversation.... You know in case you don't want them involved anymore in this particular conversation.:whistle:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
JBcurt, Somehow my PM in box is full, but I do not see any messages, so I am unsure how to clear it out.