Editing Posts & Including Links

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm a newbie to iBoats. I've noticed two things: 1) only seem to be able to edit your own posts right after posting them - when you go back later after they've been read, they can't be edited...also, don't think we're allowed to post quotes from other "none-iBoats" forums, but posting links in general work. Am I correct on both?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Quote is just a tag. If you type "["QUOTE=From www.CNN.com] whatever you want here "["/QUOTE] (without the quotation marks), you will be able to display what you want as a quote tag. like this...

From [url said:
www.CNN.com]I[/url] can say whatever I want here since it is just a tag

Editing the posts used to have no time limits at all. The forum management noticed that some of us abused this feature somehow. It was decided to restirct it to 1 hour only, I think.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm a newbie to iBoats. I've noticed two things: 1) only seem to be able to edit your own posts right after posting them - when you go back later after they've been read, they can't be edited...also, don't think we're allowed to post quotes from other "none-iBoats" forums, but posting links in general work. Am I correct on both?

You have 1 hour after posting to edit. The feature was abused when we had an infinite edit time. A 5 minute limit was imposed and we quickly realized 5 minutes was too short, especially when proofreading a long post. In the best interests of forum harmony and usefulness, the 5 minutes was increased to 60 minutes and seems to be working well.

As far as quotes from non-iBoats sources - Often quotes are from iBoats competitors and naturally the primary retail business is protected in the forum. Links to competitors are modified for the same reason. If the retail business suffers, this forum, will disappear.

Many other noncompeting links and quotes are allowed. There are other subjects which result in editing or deletion which are covered in the forum rules. Click on the Forum Help link in the sig below and look at the rules if you have any questions.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi GA, while I'm asking about posts...is there a way that orginal posters are responsible for/supposed to close their topics...or does that happen automatically or by a moderator after a certain length of time with no activity on the post?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We don't close threads unless the guidelines aren't followed.