Is there a tutorial on how to upload a picture to a post ?

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm having trouble taking a pic from....say ...."my documents"...and including it in my posts...
Is there some help for that?

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

thanks.....let's give it a try....this picture is 460 Kb or so....

Attachments

• photo260447.jpg
    photo260447.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 0

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks ...it worked!!
I think that my camera may be taking pics that are more KB than the site can handle....I'll have to look into that....maybe that's the problem because this pic worked....It's an old shot with a different camera....
thanks for the help

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It isn't that the forum can't handle large photos. The administrators choose a size limit which allows pictures without overwhelming available storage on the servers.

If you try Option 3, using a photo hosting service and pasting the Image code, pictures are automatically resized. A side benefit is while the pictures are small in byte size, they are large in viewing size. Give it a try.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I use to have the same issues. And I started out taking pictures with my digital camera, then down load them to my computer, and then used a mspaint type program to resize them, and then upload them to the thread. BUT, I changed all that by simply lowering the camera's resolution to a lower capability. And now I can down load the camera to my computer because I have different directories to keep them for myself. Then I upload them as needed without any problems.

I know a lot of iboaters use secondary photo storage places to upload their pictures and then copy the Image code to their project thread. And I did that for a while. But when I went to the photo storage place to clean it up for easier viewing, all the copied pictures were gone on my project thread on these forums. So If you go that route, make absolutely sure you never ever move them once you upload them or they will be lost on here. Just informing folks.

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I may be able to change the resolution too....havent looked at the camera instruction pamplet.....hope I can...
Dont like having to go to a 3rd party, etc....
Thanks for the suggestion.

jbcurt00

Staff member
There are advantages to each of the 3 methods shown in the tutorial.

IMO, the largest benefit to using a 3rd party site is it allows nice, big pix to be embedded IN your post w accompanied text descriptions like this:
Whatever-Floats-Your.jpg

Not my goat ^^^ and no goats were harmed in the making of this meme

Instead of a reply, how ever lengthy, w all the pix as attachments at the bottom, that must be opened to be viewed.

But use any method you choose.

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Which one would you recommend......hypothetically, of course.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i use option 3, or a variation of it using the IMG code. it allows me to add a pic I find on a web server somewhere

1d5a328bb8762b9d247e92f43eea8724.jpg

not my boat, not my goat, not my mote

jbcurt00

Staff member
Which one would you recommend......hypothetically, of course.

I use and recommend (even lrior to being a Mod) option #3 for the reason Scott and I mentioned. It work across all of the forums I frequent.

Once I started using Photobucket (there are other 3rd party sites) I made folders to put the pix in so thats where I upload them, a specific folder. Works just like using an old MS Dos based computer, have to find the pix in the folder to ise it, and if I move it, the previous references to that pix are lost as GM mentioned. So I dont move them.

Unfortunately, server hardware and memory do fail. Never had a loss using Photobucket because of that. However, pix and info uploaded to iboats was lost after a software upgrade that failed and we experienced a cascading failure of server memory storage trying to reciver the forum from the upgrade failure.

I dont know which loss is greater, but if you dont move the pix after posting the links, Photobucket works and works well. Also it auto-resizes the pix so they are small enough to be posted to the forum. No need to change your camera settings from max, resolution nor minimize them in anyway to fit the max size limits Iboats has set.

My last reason for using a 3rd party site is to maximize the free space in iboats servers. Storing pix links, and loading pix when I view an iboats topic, uses less storage memory then storing a bunch of pix as attachments does. It does take a little longer to load a page w a bunch of embedded pix, but.w a computer, device and internet connection that uses 5yr or newer tech, its a virtually negligible lag, IMO

Try using a 3rd party site, you might not prefer it, but you might...... If you dont, quit using it. If you post pix from it though, dont move them or close your acct. Just stop using it.

IMO, posting pix in most cases is more important then how you post them. If you have lots of rebuild questions for motors or the boat itself. I think the benefit of embedded pix is invaluable.

Good luck w your project, and however you post them, post pix..