No Caps with new sentences

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey guys, not a major problem and not sure who's end it's on but my tab stopped capitalizing automatically at the beginning of each sentence. This doesn't happen with my emails or anything else I use. It is surely annoying but not life threatening. This started happening a little over a month ago? Maybe longer than that but it started out of the blue. Anything you can do on your end to check? I have checked all my settings and nothing seems to work. I have auto Caps turned on and in fact have turned it off and on several times, restarted several times, all with no success. I have an android Tablet if that info helps.

southkogs

Staff member
I'm wondering if that's not a browser issue. I'll have to check my iPad out later, but that doesn't sound like a feature of the VB editor. I just tested it a little on this end, and neither of my browsers do it on the computer.

What browser are you using?

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Chrome? not exactly a computer dude. I click on chrome and then iboats bookmark. I don't know if chrome is a browser?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yes Chrome is a browser.

Probably a Chrome/tablet problem. Works on my phone as I type this. Even. When. I added. Extraneous. Periods. And. Only. Inserted. One. Space. After. The. Period.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'll look for an update to chrome and go from there. Thanks guys.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well no luck there. No updates available for chrome. I guess I will have to figure this one out on my own. I don't want to erase and reinstall Chrome, all my bookmarks would be lost. We'll see I guess.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or you can simply type the way you were taught, and use the shift key to get capitol letters........

or switch to firefox or chrome canary

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Type the way I was taught? C'mon Scott. If I have power tilt/trim, I'm not going to tilt my motor by hand. lol. The point is that something isn't right and it should be. I will investigate Firefox because the spell check now is the absolute worst as well. It will make something like "l'm" into " I'more". I spend half my time rereading everything I type to correct the spell checks errors. With the Caps not working, I think Chrome has just fallen out of favor with me. Maybe the spell check is my machine but I don't have either problem on my phone and both my phone and Tablet are Samsung. I'll play around a bit and let you all know, thanks again guys.

BTW Scott, seems your caps aren't working either, or was that just your way of poking fun?:confused:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
No Title

eheheh coming from the guy who has worst spelling and grammar ever ...

Attachments

• photo256227.jpg
    photo256227.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256228.jpg
    photo256228.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
On my laptop (Chrome) I have no spell-check on iboats, it will capitalize the first word though. So I need to use word and then copy and paste. The problem is punctuation and spacing may change when I paste it into iboats, so I need to go back and edit it a couple of times to do corrections, sometimes I give up, or miss things and just leave it.

southkogs

Staff member
Had to do some looking but I think I've got the generals figured out: It's more device specific than browser. "Double tap space bar to add period" is the feature, and it's in the keyboard preferences of whatever device you're working on. (it's turned on for my iPad, but off on my Mac - so didn't matter which browser I was working with, it mattered which device)

Do a quick web search on how to toggle the feature on for your device, and you should be able to switch it back on.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for all the info guys. I wI'll delve into it tonight when I get home. It is something that just sort of showed up one day so I imagine it is something I hit on the key board by mistake. I'll look around the Web to see if I can find out how to undo. I am typing this from my Samsung phone with no issues either with spell check or caps. Weird, I wish I enjoyed this sort of stuff but it has never interested me. It has, annoyed me rather than intrigued to be honest. I can't seem to spend more than a half hour on a computer problem without wanting to throw the thing across the room. Lol. Thankfully my brother has his BA in computer science so all I do is give him a call. He is an IOS guy as far as tabs and phones so he wouldn't be much help here I would imagine.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Test. Test. I downloaded a new keyboard and it seems to have solved the problem. It seems that the latest update has a bug in it and lots of people are having the same trouble I am having. I figured I'd try this keyboard for a while and wait for Samsung to get its act together. The predictive seems a lot better too. Thanks again guys.