Messages tab says i have messages when I don't

iboats_tim

User
hey mickyryan, can you turn off automatic subscription in your settings (under notifications) and let me know if that solves the issue?

iboats_tim

User
Hey GA_Boater, do you get the notification bubble each time there is a new post on a subscribed post? Does the notification clear when you review your subs? I'm wondering if this is what is happening here

Fed

Commander
My ability to dismiss a message permanently still seems to be based on which device I subscribed to the thread with, see post #8.
All my subscriptions are made with my computer and dismissing with my tablet or phone still allows them to come back even though there are no new messages.
Begs the question, if my computer blows up I might be stuck with ghost messages forever.

Mickyryan, have you ever used more than one device to access the forum?
FWIW I don't sync my devices or google or chrome, perhaps if I did this wouldn't happen but I find syncing blows my mind.

Hope this helps.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Seems like I used to have this issue on my Droid Maxx. I don't have any issues now. Still can't edit & fullsize uploaded photos with my phone but that's completely unrelated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey GA_Boater, do you get the notification bubble each time there is a new post on a subscribed post? Does the notification clear when you review your subs? I'm wondering if this is what is happening here

I don't subscribe to post's or threads. I rely on my memory and the little blue icon saying I posted in a thread. I used to and it was too much to keep up with because I post in many threads.

Fed might be on to something about using multiple devices. I do sync Firefox across 4 machines and don't have the problem, but as I said I don't sub. Some cookies are stored locally on user's devices and some flag are maintained solely in the forum user parameters, iboats_tim I'll have fire up one of my other PC's or tablet and see if that might be the case.

mickyryan - Do you use more than one device?

aspeck

Staff member

I will answer that ... no ... I get an email, but I don't get a notification bubble.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
mickyryan When you say the preview is still visible, is this from clicking on Inbox in the message center?

iboats_tim We don't get notification bubbles for anything anymore, even though it's selected when looking at profiles using Mod tools.

OK - What I've learned so far;

I subbed to two threads and in Message Center under Subscriptions, Posts I now have a 2 in the box to show how many subs I have.

When a post is made in a subbed thread, I get a message notification up-count for each new reply. I got one a red number for aspeck's reply above.

In the Message Center, once I view the notification and dismiss it, the message counter goes down. The notification is visible until I leave the Notification in the message center, but the counter changes once it's dismissed.

Here is my Message Center with the 2 subscribed threads and Notification count of 1 and the post that caused it. The message counter is also at 1 until the notification is dismissed, which also removes the count by Notifications.

I have no idea if any of this helps. I used two different PC's with two different OS's, so it isn't cookies.

Fresh Notification;

subtest.PNG

After dismissing and refreshing the page;

subtest2.PNG

iboats_tim

User
Thanks for doing some research on that, Don! Tonight I'll run some maintenance on some of our back-end data and see if that helps. It's possible our notification data needs to be cleaned up.

Thanks, Tim.

This edit is a test, but what I thought I was missing is OK.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
that works its the inbox preview that wont disappear even after all messages have been deleted