Request for location...

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Forums used to show members' locations when they posted, which I thought was nice. Any way to display that information again when members post?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
nola mike, If you click on the commentator's handle/name, and they filled out such info, you can see where they are located. Otherwise there is no way to know.

jbcurt00

Staff member
iboats_tim might be able to shed some light, but IIRC, w the 'upgrade' to vB5, the location line item under a poster's name/rank/join date, is no longer listed by default or even available.

But if they've listed a location in their profile, then clicking their user name, as gm280 mentions, you can view their profile and possibly find a location.

You can also look at the user map posted here:
iBoaters...Where are you!!!! - Members Map

southkogs

Staff member
... I put mine in my signature when that feature went away.

iboats_tim

User
jbcurt00 is correct. For some reason or another this option was done away with in VB5. I'm not sure why...

I've never seen that members map before--pretty neat!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't really understand why we need to know where each of us is?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I don't need it. LOL
I need it. My name's tricky like that. I think it's nice to have an idea of where people are from, where they're doing their boating, etc. Yeah, there are ways to find out, and people can put it in the sig, but that takes effort.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Why Joe?

In the almost 30 years in the military I lived in almost 100 countries.
Right, but where you are can change what kind of boating you are doing and changes opinions. A cruiser without reverse air is fine in MN not so much in my neck of the woods. What kind of boat does one suggest for the great lakes is different than the TN river at knoxville or the Columbia at Astoria. Or recommendadtions on where to buy stuff or maybe other members to reach out to local to them or a good shop. Lots of things .

southkogs

Staff member
I doubt that we NEED to know, but it is nice to know. Particularly when we have someone from out of the country, I think it helps. You can often figure it out, but sometimes they seem to be too normal to be from some other weird place ... like Canada :D

j/k :canada:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have to agree with redneck joe. The user's location being posted with their rank, etc., was really handy and it does make it much easier to pose question or offer answers if you have some idea where the person is located. I know it's possible to look them up on the map or click on their user name to see if they've listed a location in their profile, but neither of those is particularly convenient. The absence of the poster's location is not a big deal, but it would be nice to get back. Always a shame when an 'upgrade' results in software that's less functional than it was before.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I wish I could see the locations. When I click on someone, usually has no info. There are times I could personally go and help someone but I don't know where they are.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IMO, location could be helpful, but getting functionality line items 'back' are a much bigger priority.

iboats_tim is doing a lot behind the scenes hoping to improve the forum, its user interface, the store and its ease of use. So far, theres already been improvements, esp w speed and reliability..