"are you sure you want to leave this page" pop up

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I am getting this annoying pop up when I am going from one Iboats forum page to another or doing a search. It is intermittent, but happens more often than not.. I believe this is a internet explorer pop up that is used when a user is filling in a form to keep from losing work and data, but I bet it has to do with cookies and advertising on the forum. Has any new advertising protocol been put in place that could cause this, or a new ad that is using data storage and is similar to a form? I am tired of having to agree to every page change.

Ron

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Most of the time, that is a function of a browser over the forum, as suspected it is because you have filled out a form or search parameters and it is just confirming you want to leave and it is a reminder you will loose data.

I run the same software this website runs and I have no ability on my forums to turn it off, now I may be able to write a script to do it, but incorporation in this type of system would be a large undertaking.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
What made me ask about it is that it is a new thing that happened when I switched to IE rather than Firefox, but it took several weeks to show up after the switch and has been quite a bother for about a week. I seem to have put a dent in it by turning off (opting out of using AdChoices) online behavioral advertising for several of the advertisers here. I still see the ads, but now they will not be collecting information to "personalize" what I see. I think rapid switching between pages was interfering with the data collection as if it was an unfinished form, but who knows.

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
iboats_tim - Ideas?

I have not seen the leave page message in this forum. On some sites there are traps that don't want you to go and as soon as I see one, the tab is closed because I'm not interested in what they have to say is I don't have a choice.

But I've not seen it here.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I never see it. I downloaded Ad Block Plus, ABP, a long time ago.... Works wonders...... It's a free download......

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think this was a trap ad, just the IE browser trying to be helpful after it was triggered by something in some of the ads. After my first post on this subject I got rid of the intrusive behavioral advertising for 4 of the data collection companies out of the 76 that were using my browser. Now it may have gone away. (Knock on wood.) CV16, click on the adchoice icon at the top right hand corner of the ads and follow the directions. You will still see the ads which help pay for this great forum, but the behavior tracking is stopped by opt out cookies. For example. if you have been shopping on EBay, you may no longer see suggestion ads based on what you browsed on Ebay on the Iboats forums next time you log in. Brave New World, eh?
Ron