Pictures on iBoat server

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I have been using direct to server posting for my topic, keeping under the 700k limit by reducing photos before posting. It seems to be working fine and I am satisfied with the process. The photo help topic seems to recommend using photobucket or some other external link as the preferred method. I find that really problematic since a lot of very interesting topics are now either unreadable or make no sense since the external picture links are broken. This is even true for some current frequent participants who have not even fixed their signature picture links. This is a real shame since it is information that took some time to create now lost probably for good. My question is whether the method I use has some upper limit or firewall on the server that will start removing earlier pictures when I get there? Could someone either review this for us or point us to a place where this is discussed? The photo help topic does not cover this that I can find.

Ron

jbcurt00

Staff member
Some, not all, but some of the broken links are due to the person that posted the pix, moved it in their 3rd party host site's folder system.

Some older broken links are due to the forum software/server crash about a year and a half ago.

IMO, 3rd party host is a better option, and my opinion didnt change when I became a mod. Auto pix sizing, pix IN a post rather then attachments that have to be opened, and ease of quoting a post that has a pix. If i quote you, the pix doesnt carry over to the post sometimes.

toneeees may be able to answer limits for uploading, but to the best of my knowledge, old pix arent removed as they age or to add room for new pix.

Its all computers, so long term, other problems may cause a loss, but only when something goes haywire.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
IMO, 3rd party host is a better option, and my opinion didnt change when I became a mod. Auto pix sizing, pix IN a post rather then attachments that have to be opened, and ease of quoting a post that has a pix. If i quote you, the pix doesnt carry over to the post sometimes.

Its all computers, so long term, other problems may cause a loss, but only when something goes haywire.

When I open my topic, I see the pictures I posted rather than an attachment link that has to be opened, though I know what you mean, since I have seen that in others topics. Am I just seeing my pictures since I am the author, and others have to click on the blue attachment links for my pictures? In that case I would tend to agree with what you prefer. Still, I do not find it too much trouble to arrange pictures and text in my posts using direct posting.

southkogs

Staff member
I do a little of both, depending on how "ready" with an image I am. I like the way the hosted photos link in better, but it's mostly a "6 of one, half-dozen of the other" issue.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I totally agree 100% with oldhaven. And that is why I will resize every picture I post, to post to the thread instead of third party site. I found out that as I was using a third party site for early on threads, when I cleaned up the third party site to group like pictures to certain libraries, I was loosing the links in my threads and therefore I stop using a third party site posting. I now have set my camera to take properly sized pictures and can post direct without any resizing efforts. And if I need more intricate shots, I just use macro zoomed in my shots. It works for me and the threads with pictures should work together for however long iboat forums are around.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the replies, it makes more sense now. I still wish some members would be more conscientious about their external links, but I guess life sometimes makes for different priorities than we expect. The sudden stoppage of some threads probably means sad stories we would rather not know about.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use Dropbox to post my pictures. I downsize them before I post. I use the resizer that lets you right click on the picture to downsize them. Can't get any easier than that.

https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Last edited:

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I use Dropbox to post my pictures. I downsize them before I post. I use the resizer that lets you right click on the picture to downsize them. Can't get any easier than that.

https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Nice and easy resizer. Works well and now I need not use the windows edit utility. I wish it would do rotations, but it will help most of the time. Thanks Bruce.

toneeees

Administrator
I just checked, and so far we have about 19 Gigs of media stored and over 8 million file downloads. If it ever comes that you reach the max allowed per user, I would just update the storage capacity.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I just checked, and so far we have about 19 Gigs of media stored and over 8 million file downloads. If it ever comes that you reach the max allowed per user, I would just update the storage capacity.

Thanks to iBoats for hosting this important resource, and for planning to support its future use. This is the answer I was looking for. We should all pay attention to toneeees signature, as I will over the course of my restoration.

toneeees

Administrator
Thanks to iBoats for hosting this important resource, and for planning to support its future use. This is the answer I was looking for. We should all pay attention to toneeees signature, as I will over the course of my restoration.

Thanks for the kind words. If you are located in the US, check out our giveaways section. We may be giving away something that would fit perfect on your boat!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW toneeees I would have never thought that 8 gigs would take care of everything. I was honestly thinking terabyte sizes. Wrong again, as usual. I honestly have to thank iboats and all who control and manage such things for these forums. I honestly would have never ever tried to revive such an old boat without such a place to go to for help, assistance and ideas. :thumb:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have been using direct to server posting for my topic, keeping under the 700k limit by reducing photos before posting. It seems to be working fine and I am satisfied with the process. The photo help topic seems to recommend using photobucket or some other external link as the preferred method. I find that really problematic since a lot of very interesting topics are now either unreadable or make no sense since the external picture links are broken. This is even true for some current frequent participants who have not even fixed their signature picture links. This is a real shame since it is information that took some time to create now lost probably for good. My question is whether the method I use has some upper limit or firewall on the server that will start removing earlier pictures when I get there? Could someone either review this for us or point us to a place where this is discussed? The photo help topic does not cover this that I can find.

Ron

I think about this often, too. One of the best things about iboats, other than getting to meet all the great folks here who give so willingly of their expertise and time, is the archival value of all the posts, even those going back many years. I think about just the Restoration section and how much value there is to anyone trying to restore a boat. There is info there that you just can't find anywhere else, much of it highly detailed.

I worry about the longevity of posts/threads that rely on third party photo hosting sites. There are conveniences in those sites, but if the site every goes away, or changes URLs or linking conventions, or if the user allows the account to lapse, the threads using that 3rd party hosting will be compromised. There may still be useful info in those threads, but when the pics are no longer linked correctly, for whatever reason, it can be frustrating trying to follow the discussion/restoration.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Ya, I agree JASin. I would like to drown that cute photobucket "photo not found" kitten. (Well, not really...)

Ron

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WOW toneeees I would have never thought that 8 gigs would take care of everything. I was honestly thinking terabyte sizes. Wrong again, as usual. I honestly have to thank iboats and all who control and manage such things for these forums. I honestly would have never ever tried to revive such an old boat without such a place to go to for help, assistance and ideas. :thumb:

I agree GM80, this site rocks with the wealth of knowledge to keep these old boats alive. My Admiral wants mine on the water next summer. Just gonna have to live with the Ski Nautique one more summer.