getting an invalid certificate warning... not sure what's up

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Been getting a warning re. bttrack.com, as described in some info I copied from a google inquiry (below). I don't know if this is an issue or not -- sounds scary, but maybe not something to be concerned about??? (Safari pop up image didn't copy -- just as well, too large.)

Thanks.

vvvvvvvv (quoting)

Originally Posted by
Hey gang-

Trying to log into Tivo.com right now to update my Credit Card info. Both Safari and Firefox on my Mac are giving me Untrusted Certificate warnings on www.tivo.com.

These errors occur when I click My Account under the "My Account" tab, but before providing my login info. (Definitely not going to do that now.) The Safari one is even more onerous because it appears that some site named "bttrack.com" is involved. Anyone else seeing this?

0A876E8B-2EFB-49BB-8F25-C01C11ADC77C@westell.com

no issues for me have you tried clearing temp internet files?

Doing a little research and I think I know what is causing the Certificate Error. It appears it isn't Tivo.com itself, but rather the Facebook badge and associated tracking code that is embedded in the Tivo website.

There is code in the Tivo website that places the Facebook badge at the bottom...all common stuff. But the Facebook badge is itself making a call to bttrack.com. That is the site that Safari is warning about...and apparently it is running with an unsigned or untrusted certificate. Really really sloppy stuff on the part of Facebook.

All in all I'm inclined to believe this is probably harmless...but it sure looks scary and I still couldn't recommend logging into Tivo.com until this is fixed.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yes, Moving around between forums, or within a forum. Did a google search to try and get whatever info I could. I routinely clear the Safari history, but get the popup(s) when I return to iBoats. Have been able to click on the "cancel" option and proceed normally, but the pop up returns when I move around....

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
think a day or so ago. no prior issues. I just keep clicking on cancel (not sure what "continue" would get me). Haven't been able to find any reference to a certificate in keychain; guessing that might be because I haven't allowed it(?)

edit. thought that Facebook reference was kind of interesting -- not the Tivo site itself in the google discussion. Thinking maybe something like that could be going on with iBoats.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Curious -- Take some action on this? Knock on polished teak, I'm not getting the warning message now. Life is good.

toneeees

Administrator
It may have been related to the forum ad that was causing things to free up. We contacted the supplier and they fixed their script.