repeated lockups on iBoats: unresponsive scripts

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks guys, you all are doing great at helping us find the problem. It appears to be one of the ads, I will talk to our Advertising department and see if they can view any new ads that were added to the rotation.

I downloaded ADP for firefox and it appears to have helped. definately one of the side bar ads

on a side note, I cant right click on the spelling errors and select the properly spelled word anymore. get a small window that says Paste and Add Table. this is a recently new broken item

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
on a side note, I cant right click on the spelling errors and select the properly spelled word anymore. get a small window that says Paste and Add Table. this is a recently new broken item

That one is not new for me Scott, that has been happening since the switch over, sometimes the right click works and sometimes I get the Paste and Add button. But it has been happening quite a while now on my setup.

Another one that has happened probably half the time I load a page is the Yellow box at the top of the page that says working and the spinning busy icon symbol, sometimes have to just reload and other times, I have to open a page in a new browser window to see if my message has posted.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I downloaded ADP for firefox and it appears to have helped. definately one of the side bar ads

We've been complaining about that one for a while, Scott. It seems to show up if you are doing a quote and a couple other things. .I think VB has a fix in the next update. Please don't blame me if it doesn't work. :pray:

southkogs

Staff member
... on a side note, I cant right click on the spelling errors and select the properly spelled word anymore. get a small window that says Paste and Add Table. this is a recently new broken item
Not that this makes it "okay," but that should only be happening when you use the quote feature. There's a glitch in that portion of things ... typing a post with no quote in it, you should be able to right click your spell check.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not that this makes it "okay," but that should only be happening when you use the quote feature. There's a glitch in that portion of things ... typing a post with no quote in it, you should be able to right click your spell check.
Sometimes what I do is just post it with all my spelling errors and then go back and edit the post and the spell check works fine.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes what I do is just post it with all my spelling errors and then go back and edit the post and the spell check works fine.

Speeling - Except when the correction choices are peeling, s peeling, sleeping, peelings and speiling. :doh:

Interesting, it does work as it should on the edit. Never noticed that. Thanks, Bruce - Good find.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I was just browsing the forums with Adblock disabled, and for about 20 minutes it worked OK and I thought the problem had disappeared. Then, about two minutes ago, I got the dreaded locked up Firefox, followed by the unresponsive script message.

Back to Adblock Plus for me. Just thought you might want to know the problem persists.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Speeling - Except when the correction choices are peeling, s peeling, sleeping, peelings and speiling. :doh:
It also doesn't help the people that are working on their "breaks" instead of "brakes"! Not sure why that one bothers me so much.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
We've been complaining about that one for a while, Scott. It seems to show up if you are doing a quote and a couple other things. .I think VB has a fix in the next update. Please don't blame me if it doesn't work. :pray:

wouldnt blame anyone but the idiots at VB. I still say we force them to listen to "its a small world" or Helen Reddy, the Las Vegas Years until they fix their issues.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have this version, without the upgrades that have been custom wrote since they installed it and after years of running forum software, whoever wrote the base code for this system, must have been drinking when they did it!

toneeees

Administrator
We may have found the bad ad, I've told the ad manager, he is going to disable what he can to see if that solves the problem.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I just browsed for about 10 minutes on Firefox without Adblock, and all is well.

I hope the resolution involved the administering of a good beating to whomever wrote the offending javascript code.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I cant right click on the spelling errors and select the properly spelled word anymore. get a small window that says Paste and Add Table. this is a recently new broken item

This one is not new for me, but it seems to be intermittent. Sometimes I can get a right-click spell-check menu and sometimes not, getting what you describe, (like now) but it's been doing it or several months..............I don't know exactly when I couldn't use spell check anymore, but I believe it might have coincided with a Firefox update a few versions ago.

So did something happen in the way Firefox (or other browsers) handle HTML5 or Javascript etc?

toneeees

Administrator
Glad it's running okay again.

The spell check issue has been around for a long time now, and I'm not sure why they haven't fixed it. I'll do some more research on that issue today.