Map making/ plotting a trail on a map

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
I just made a new trail thru this patch of woods, and I would like to figure out where in this woods the trail is. Once I enter the woods, I have no clue where I am on the property, I just have to follow the trail. I was thinking about printing off a satelite picture from google maps, and using a compass to plot it. I would start at the corner, and note my direction, and measure the distance I walk. Then I would know how long that distance is on the map, and draw a line in that direction.

I tried using google timeline feature, to have it tell me where I was. But it does not seem that accurate, the woods may have been blocking service, and it kept thinking i was 2 blocks away. Is there an app to do this? or do i have to do it the old fashioned way?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Use an app like "map my run" or Strava. I use Strava myself for biking and hiking. You can see your course on the website after you upload is or just download the gpx file and load it into google earth.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I can export the track from my GPS and pull it into Google earth ... I've never had it more inaccurate than about 30ft; more often than not it's spot on. I can do the same sort of thing with the Navionics App I've been playing with.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I think the forest interferes with the gps signal.

That shouldn't bother it that much. What are you using to take your position?

I used the GPS/compass app on my Iphone to look for my survey markers and found their position with relative ease. Finding the actual marker/ rock/ pipe after all these years was a bit harder.

southkogs

Staff member
I think the forest interferes with the gps signal.
Possibly, but the kids and I used to geocache quite a bit in the woods.

I do some SAR work, and most signals will cut through the trees well enough. Cell phones typically will for sure ... valleys and mountains can screw ya' up though.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
I downloaded the map my run app, but it cant get a GPS signal anywhere. Google must be hogging the signal. I dont get it.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Back in the day guys just had a "Basic" map, compass and a hip chain for plotting a route. GPS does not like to work in thick foliage.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I still use a compass, grew up with it and although I have a couple of GPS receivers, those old school tricks I learned in the Military still work just fine.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I still use a compass, grew up with it and although I have a couple of GPS receivers, those old school tricks I learned in the Military still work just fine.
360=6400, silva ranger my best compass ever

nwcove

Admiral
I just made a new trail thru this patch of woods, and I would like to figure out where in this woods the trail is. Once I enter the woods, I have no clue where I am on the property, I just have to follow the trail. I was thinking about printing off a satelite picture from google maps, and using a compass to plot it. I would start at the corner, and note my direction, and measure the distance I walk. Then I would know how long that distance is on the map, and draw a line in that direction.

I tried using google timeline feature, to have it tell me where I was. But it does not seem that accurate, the woods may have been blocking service, and it kept thinking i was 2 blocks away. Is there an app to do this? or do i have to do it the old fashioned way?

with all do respect......"Once I enter the woods, I have no clue where I am on the property,"? i would avoid entering the woods! relying on electronics to find your way gets many people lost, sometimes ending in tragedy.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
I mean I still have my sense of direction, I just dont know how far into the woods I am. Like I dont know if I half way to the bridge that crosses the water, or a quarter of the way. I know I should be half way across the plot of woods (everything in South FL is square). So this is a perfect square of woods, oriented exactly N/S. But when your hacking a trail, 100 feet feels like a half mile. On google maps, it says this woods is a 1500 ft by 1800 ft rectangle, but it feels never ending once your in there.

I was actually using the tree moss trick, it grows on the north side of trees. I entered the woods on the south west corner, and was making a trail to the north east corner. It just took forever to reach the established trail.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Moss grows on the shady side/ north side is an old wifes tale.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
yea, your right, and the shady side is usually the north side, since the sun is down south. (Here in the northern hemisphere) Prob not as dramatic down in fl, since the sun gets further north here than in MD