Rifle with a bad Recoil

dozerII

Admiral
I know there are lots of hunters and rifle owners among us boaters. Last year I got back in to hunting after selling all my rifles about 30 years ago. I didn't want to spend a whole bunch to begin with so I purchased a Savage Axis 270 stainless steel model. This rifle is very light and the recoil made it almost impossible to get much of a group when firing. I was to the point with it, I was going to sell it and buy something heavier and more stable, when a fellow hunter suggested putting a muzzle brake on it as he had done. His rifle he took to a gun smith and spent over $500 having it done and was truly impressed with the results. $500. was more than I paid for the Savage and I felt it was not worth it to to go that route, so I started doing some google searching and found a great little machine shop in Colorado that is awesome to deal with and custom made a clamp on brake for my Savage for $100. U.S. I installed it today and then went out to the range and all I can say is wow what a difference. The recoil is I would say 50% less and the barrel doesn't lift anymore. The only thing I found is the rifle is considerably louder from behind and wearing hearing protection is a must. If you have a rifle that kicks like a mule and want an inexpensive fix (EDIT out website/email address for a shop in Fort Garland, CO that specializes in clamp-on muzzle breaks. If you want to know who they are, google them or PM dozerll for the website and info) , great people.

Last edited by a moderator:

alldodge

Staff member
Will give this some consideration. Have a 25-06 that kicks like a TN mule even with a recoil pad. Trajectory is great and flat but man I just cannot take all that recoil like I use to

dozerII

Admiral
Will give this some consideration. Have a 25-06 that kicks like a TN mule even with a recoil pad. Trajectory is great and flat but man I just cannot take all that recoil like I use to

I read almost all the reviews on there site and never found one less than 5 out of 5, a couple of retired Marines.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am surprised a .270 and a 25-06 would have such a recoil, I own both and don't have any problems with either of them, now I do have a small single shot 20/.22 gauge that kicks the crap out of me, that I did a magna port on that made a world of difference. I do use Limbsaver recoil pads on all of my guns because they are really that good.

southkogs

Staff member
I am surprised a .270 and a 25-06 would have such a recoil ...
It's funny how rounds can be like that. I don't know the .270 round at all, but I have a Remington .300 Savage that will really belt you. But I've shot a friend's .300 Winchester (don't remember who made the rifle) and it wasn't nearly as punchy.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It's funny how rounds can be like that. I don't know the .270 round at all, but I have a Remington .300 Savage that will really belt you. But I've shot a friend's .300 Winchester (don't remember who made the rifle) and it wasn't nearly as punchy.

The .300 Savage, is just that a Savage, That thing has always kicked like a mule, Savage has never known how to design a stock correctly, their drop and comb has never been right on their stocks, I have shot .50 Barrett's that shoot better than the .300 Savage. My .270 rifles have always been great to shoot, I have an Interarms Mark X that I and my Dad split the cost on that I bought on a Blue Light Special at K-Mart when I was 12 years old, that is a dream to shoot and my Dad gave me his pre 64 Winchester Model 70 .270 when he decided he couldn't go hunting any longer that shoots real nice as well. Now you want a nice shooting rifle, my .300 Weatherby is a dream to shoot, but it has a double recoil spring set up in the stock, that makes it feel like you are shooting a .22 rifle.

That said, some of these companies have had some really bad stock designs over the years.

dozerII

Admiral
The .300 Savage, is just that a Savage, That thing has always kicked like a mule, Savage has never known how to design a stock correctly, their drop and comb has never been right on their stocks, I have shot .50 Barrett's that shoot better than the .300 Savage. My .270 rifles have always been great to shoot, I have an Interarms Mark X that I and my Dad split the cost on that I bought on a Blue Light Special at K-Mart when I was 12 years old, that is a dream to shoot and my Dad gave me his pre 64 Winchester Model 70 .270 when he decided he couldn't go hunting any longer that shoots real nice as well. Now you want a nice shooting rifle, my .300 Weatherby is a dream to shoot, but it has a double recoil spring set up in the stock, that makes it feel like you are shooting a .22 rifle.

That said, some of these companies have had some really bad stock designs over the years.

I think you nailed it on the stock MT, that and the fact it is a composite stock and the whole rifle with scope only weighs 7lbs.

southkogs

Staff member
The .300 Savage, is just that a Savage, That thing has always kicked like a mule, Savage has never known how to design a stock correctly, ...
The stock is a Remington. The bullet is a .300 Savage. Crazy part is the .300 Win Mag is supposed to be the hotter round ... but the .300 Savage is a shoulder killer.

I have shot the Barrett .460, and got a real education in muzzle brakes that day. I've shot a couple of rifles with muzzle vents to act as recoil compensators as well. I'm amazed at what a good muzzle brake can do, but I can't quite find a significant advantage in those "compensator" vents.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay a subject I spend years reading and reloading for. There are a lot of things you can do to reduce felt recoil on any rifle. First, when at the range to ZERO in your hunting rifle, use a small piece of carpet. Yes take a 18" by 10" or so piece of carpet and fold it in half and put it between the rifle and your shoulder. You will absolutely be amazed how little felt recoil you will feel. Way less then half. And equally so, use a bench rest to zero your rifle always. That way you can actually eliminate any body movement to verify the rifle zero. And for the record, what you are actually doing when zeroing a firearm is adjusting either the iron sights or scope to where your rifle actually is shooting. In other words you shoot the rifle, and then adjust the scope to where the rounds impacted the target. Once zeroed, then you can comfortable shoot more rounds without flinching... Then when in an actual hunting situation, you will absolutely never ever feel the one or two shots you take at the game...honest! I shoot everything from 22 rim fire to 300 win mag without any issues ever. And everybody I helped zero their rifles were extremely amazed at that little carpet pad. It allows you to concentrate on the actual target and forget about the pending recoil. And for the record, any type muzzle brake, of any design, does two things. First it does make any rifle louder because it ports the high pressure gases back towards the shooter to help reduce felt recoil. The rearward forced gases actual moves the rifle forward to counter act the recoil. And that is how it reduces felt recoil. Secondly, it also reduces the actual velocity of the bullet from muzzle to down range at any distance. And that IS because the gases are ported out and not assisting the velocity of the bullet. You don't get something for free. You can actually measure that reduction with a coronagraph. So you have to get used to the new drop issues for long range shots. I have reloaded and shot tens of thousands of rounds of ammo over my life time. And I can usually make any rifle a tact driver with proper reloads and little things done to the rifle... :thumb:

alldodge

Staff member
Shot a hole lot of guns in my days and while I haven't tried the 300 mag, my 25-06 Remington 700 bolt action BDL still gets my attention real good. Oh well from in many years ago till now same thing, guess I'm just not man enough

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ My dad has a 7mm Mag like that. Sucker'll shake your teeth ...

RGrew176

Commander
My sons Romanian AK-47 has the most kick of any weapon I have shot. It has more recoil than my Mosin-Nagant which shoots a larger 7.62x54R round compared to the 7.62 x 39 round the AK shoots. I have a Chinese SKS Type 56 which shoots the same round as the AK and the recoil is almost nothing when compared to the AK.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is really odd, there have been so many versions of the AK, some are great to shoot and some are bastards to shoot, but all of them really have character.

The one thing I can say about all of them, they are all deadly!

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
My sons Romanian AK-47 has the most kick of any weapon I have shot. It has more recoil than my Mosin-Nagant which shoots a larger 7.62x54R round compared to the 7.62 x 39 round the AK shoots. I have a Chinese SKS Type 56 which shoots the same round as the AK and the recoil is almost nothing when compared to the AK.

Im the proud owner of a pristine never issued mosin-nagant and I agree on their kick but in new condition they are also a tack driver.My p17 enfield (30.06) likes to thump also.Man I sure miss my Brno ZZK Safari .375 h and h mag ,waaaaaa!

thumpar

Admiral
I have a .22lr that kicks harder than my Ar15. Not that either kicks that much but you would think it would be the other way around. My Mossberg 835 (12ga ulti-mag) will leave a bruise.