Nascar Race #20 - The Brickyard - Spoiler Alert

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This week we journey to Indianapolis for the 21st running of the Brickyard 400, now officially known as the Crown Royal Presents the Jeff Kyle 400 for this years event. Along with the Cup race, the XFINITY boys will be racing on Saturday. MRN is providing us with the weekend schedule;

indy.PNG

NBC is carrying the X-Men on Saturday, but they switch to NBCSN for the Cup on Sunday. Just what is NBC broadcasting Sunday afternoon to cause a shift to the cable channel? Oh, the end of the Tour De France and The Global RallyCross Series. TDF - More cheaters than Nascar and a REPEAT of the rally thingie. I am so :confused:

The 46 entrants include Josh Wise after a 1 week layoff from his old team and Chase Elliott in one more Cup practice before taking over for Jeff Gordon next year. The bubble riders with no provisionals are Elliott, Sorenson and of course, Jeb Burton. Elliott, Blaney and McDowell with miss the race if If qualifying is cancelled.

Indy weather may cause some bother on Sunday, but the rain chances fall off in the afternoon and evening, The forecast, Friday-Monday;

indywx.PNG

News and Notes
  • Water bottles - The powers to be say they will discuss littering the track. Maybe they will make a decision before a full bottle weighing a couple of pounds blasts through a windshield. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't.
  • There is garage talk about MWR switching to Chevy and Toyota expanding teams.
  • A new aero package specific to Indy will be used this week. Also teams can change engines prior to qualifying without penalty -That's a big twist.
  • More written warnings to teams from New Hampshire. Ho-Hum.
  • TV ratings were down for New Hampshire. 7 of 8 races on cable have fallen ratings, with the lone exception of Kentucky maintaining a even keel over last year.
  • New Hampshire only had 2 "mystery" cautions. Are water bottles invisible?

iboats Fantasy Live
Our New Hampshire winner and collector of :first:s is FlaCowboy. He has five of those things now! Also Cowboy is the overall leader by a bunch. New Hampshire was very, very good to our CowPoke. :D

Get your changes and update made for your FL teams before the green flag drops on Sunday. Good luck!

The Humpster.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
What do you folks think about the 9 inch spoiler? Will it cause a Big wreck having the cars bunched up...? :eek:

I believe the Xmen are running the same set up today :car: should be interesting

GA_Boater

I don't know if the 9 incher has been tested other than the three practice sessions yesterday. It looks like more of Nascar's changes on the fly and the drivers don't seem very happy with it.

After the first round of qualifying, Wise, Burton and Sorenson will miss the race. Smoke topped the 1st session. Waiting for the 2nd round to finish.

GA_Boater

Q'ing is over and Edwards is on the pole. Logano, Ragan, Stewart, Larson, Harvick, Bowyer, Jr., Shrubby, McMurray, Menard and Johnson round out the top 12 spots.

On the tall spoiler, the guys are saying it's hard to finish a pass because the biggun is taking away air from the passing car. The spoiler is so high that a clear section is in the center so they can see out of the rear view mirror.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I don't know if the 9 incher has been tested other than the three practice sessions yesterday. It looks like more of Nascar's changes on the fly and the drivers don't seem very happy with it.

After the first round of qualifying, Wise, Burton and Sorenson will miss the race. Smoke topped the 1st session. Waiting for the 2nd round to finish.

There's a shock on everything you said...

I don't care for mid season, or any part of the season, changes..... Wait til next year instead of changing on the fly...

bassman284

Commander
Wow. Kathy Sego. I don't remember ever rewinding the DVR to hear the anthem again, but I just did.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I can honestly say, I am not all that impressed with the High Drag Package, I am thinking it is just going to be known as the "Drag" package once this weekend is over!

What I am really surprised with this last couple of years, as racing has always been about going faster and now everybody is trying to slow everything down!

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Kyle Busch likes the new package now. He passed Ryan Blaney on the last lap to win the X-Men race.

I don't know that he likes it, but he was able to take advantage of Blaney's mistake, You can't run in front of a Veteran driver and make a mistake, Blaney let Kyle get to him and pressure him, same thing Dale Sr. used to do to the other drivers.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Change is part of racing - Always has been and always will be. But what is the R&D center doing? Look how long the ill-fated Car of Tomorrow took to develop. It took 7 years, including 2 years of testing! Now they are doing changes from race to race with little or no testing prior to race weekend.

I have no problem with change. Just do it during the off season. Unless cars are taking flight every other race.....

Kyle Busch likes the new package now. He passed Ryan Blaney on the last lap to win the X-Men race.

Good for him.......

Raechel and I are heading to the track again tonite. Different speedway. ABC Speedway in Ashland...... Bring on the dirt!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No boxing last nite. A lot of the heat races looked like hot laps. Super Stock feature wasn't too bad. Me and my daughter both agree we like Proctor Speedway better... They race tonite........

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I heard they averaged 170 at one point. What are the straight line speeds? Those rear spoilers are tall. It appears they're going slower.....

GA_Boater

I just got home after being out and being caught up by the funeral procession for Marine Lance Corporal Squire "Skip" Wells of Marietta, Ga., one of our 5 service members killed in Chattanooga. He was buried with full honors today at the Georgia National Cemetery here in Canton.

I must say I never expected the number of people paying last respects to this young man. RIP

Back to the race. with 15 to go - What happened? I see Gordon is flirting with dead last.

GA_Boater

Harvick isn't getting good restarts.

G-W-C coming up after Bayne spins with 3 to go.

GA_Boater

Shrubby wins and only 23 points out of 30th. FlaCowboy wins again. :blue: LOL