very very old electric trolling motor, no name that I can find

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
I found an extremely old electric trolling motor at a flea market, can anyone help me identify it and / or value it? The motor is a round ball underwater with a propeller on it. At the top is a rheostat with 2 arms out the sides of which each power cable passes through. It weighs about 50 pounds. It's really a strange looking unit. The guy really doesn't want to sell it, but maybe I can talk to him with a little knowledge and twist his arm...........what a neat piece of boating history to have in your living room or den. Thanks, Geedo

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
Seems to be missing some trim and a small bolt on skeg, one of the transom mount arms is broken off too.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't remember the name of that motor, but I actually have a page from a 1906 Sears and Roebuck catalog that has an ad for a "Trolling Motor" that looks very similar to that motor, the price on it was $6.95 plus shipping FOB

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
Wow, great.....now I will do a little more research, thanks, Tim .......any more information will be very appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you wouldn't have told me that it was an old trolling motor, I would have thought some outer space probe... :facepalm:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you wouldn't have told me that it was an old trolling motor, I would have thought some outer space probe... :facepalm:

It looks like something out of the old serials we used to see before the main feature at the movie theater!

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
Ha, you guys are a lot of help. Maybe this motor powered the Mayflower......or one of the Viking's ships. I offered the guy $200 and he said he's having too much fun with it to sell it right now. I'll see him again in Sept. Maybe he'll be tired of hauling it around by then. If anyone knows more about it please reply......thanks again, Geedo.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
$200 dollars? I 'm certain I wouldn't have offer that in fear that he would have taken it. But if you think it is worth it, then it is worth that to you. Other then a conversation piece, I don't know what else you would do with it. But that is just my opinion and by no means to offend you...

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah your probably right.......I have way too much stuff already. In a couple years the auction will surely be grand.