Mulberries - Millions of 'em...!

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Anybody got a good recipe for mulberry _____ ? I've got two trees in my back yard that began spontaneously some years ago. Now they're full grown and each summer they literally cover the yard beneath them with mulberries - except for those "used" berries which the robins deposit all over the cars and the boat.

So far I've not come across any of my friends who can use them. But they're berries..! They've got to be good in jam or pies or something!

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
We had a large mulberry tree in the back growing up. Mom would make mulberry cobbler with them. Yummy....

aspeck

Staff member
MULBERRY PIE

Pastry for 2 crust pie
4 c. fresh mulberries
2 to 4 tbsp. water
1 c. sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tbsp. butter

Preheat oven to 425?F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon.
Mix lightly through mulberries and water. Pour berries into pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust which has had slits cut in to release steam.
Bake until crust is nicely browned and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust (about 35 to 45 minutes).
Serve slightly warm, not hot.
Serves 8.

aspeck

Staff member
MULBERRY JAM

Measure out 4 1/2 cups mulberries. Clean them and run through food mill. Add 1 package raspberry Kool-Aid and the juices of 1 lemon. Bring to a boil, add 1 package commercial powdered pectin. Add 6 cups sugar, stir, bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Put in sterilized jars and seal with paraffin.

aspeck

Staff member
Red, White, and Blue Cake

Cake:

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Topping:

1 cup strawberries, blueberries, mulberries, etc.
4 tablespoons sugar
splash of cola
Cool Whip

While the cake is being prepared, combine the berries, sugar and cola and allow to sit in refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 350?F.

Combine the ingredients for the cake and beat together.

Transfer batter to a cake pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.

After cake is finished, let cool for about 15 minutes and top with Cool Whip. Drain the juice from the berry mixture and spoon berries on top.

Refrigerate for about an hour before serving.

Enjoy!

aspeck

Staff member
Lots of uses for Mulberries ... be creative...