Nascar - Daytona #2 - Coke Zero 400 - Race #17

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This weekend we return to Daytona International Speedway for the second and final race there this season on a rare Sunday night. The X-Men are running Saturday night. Gotta wait one more week for the Trucks. Here is the Schedule from MRN;
d2.PNG

There are 45 entries, with Jeb Burton and Brendon Gaughan in the role of Bubble Boys and they must make the race on speed, no gimmee's for them. In the event qualifying is canceled, they head for home because of driver and owner points. Actually lack of points.

Speaking of cancellation, weather just might pay a role. The forecast from Weather Underground, including Monday and Tuesday just in case;
dwx.PNG

News and Notes
  • NBC returns to broadcast the rest of the season, Most races will air on NBCSN - There go the TV ratings.
  • Sonoma again returned lower ratings over last year.
  • Gordon's iconic rainbow paint scheme will return for the August Bristol race. Most of Gordon's success happened while driving the rainbow car for sponsor Dupont.
  • Nascar is working with Roma Downey and Mark Burnett to create a scripted drama. "The series will weave exciting dramatic stories within the backdrop of this beloved sports franchise." :puke:
  • Nascar is looking into two incidents from Sonoma. The first is when DiBenedetto was on the wrong end of a "pit maneuver" (too much "Cops")by a safety vehicle. Why pit road was open while safety crews were in the pits is anyones guess. The second incident was the penalty issued to Gordon when a crew member tossed a spring rubber back over the wall after removing it. I think the letter of the law is too strict, it was meant for larger items
  • Another new rule change - Again! The timing tower will control the red/green lights showing pit road is closed or open. This is the result of 19 drivers in the X-Men Chicago race race entering pit road after Nascar said it was open, The switch man was on a potty break and didn't turn on the pit open light.
  • Nascar and the RTA owner's group are talking about franchising or NASCAR offering a select number of licenses that guarantee starting spots. If this happens, forget about the little guy dreaming of starting a team and competing on equal footing with the big boys. This is a step back, in my opinion.
  • Finally - Will there be more road racing in Cup? Or a road race in the Chase? Stay tuned.

iboats Fantasty Live

The FL Sonoma race was a score for 64osby, picking up his third :first: trophy of the year. Congrats, 64.
aspeck has a tight hold on the overall leader board, picking up a few more points over Fla Cowboy.

Don't forget to make any changes to your roster before the race. Good luck iboaters.

The Humpster.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Good. Done with the Waltrips.... Lol Hmmmmmm, the same 2 on the go or go home list.....

aspeck

Staff member
Come on, Musky, light a fire under Jeb! It pains me to see how much confidence Smoke has lost. I am not sure he will ever be able to get his mojo back. Only time will tell.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As I said last year, I believe Tony has been worn out by everything that has happened in the last couple of years, I won't be surprised to see him move to a full time team owner in the future and let the driving duties go to the younger drivers.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well qualifying has been officially canceled, Jr. got the pole by being the fastest in the first practice yesterday at 202.XX MPH, the race could be very interesting tomorrow night!

GA_Boater

Yep - The top 12 in the starting line up from the first practice yesterday - After Earnhardt Jr. are A. Dillon, Bowyer, Menard, Bayne, Gilliland, Allmendinger, Ragan, McMurray, Kahne, Hornish and Johnson. Missing the race are Blaney and McDowell.

Also as the result of Keso causing Shrubbie to crash out of the first practice yesterday causing one of the biggest practice crashes in years, a total of 10 cars will be starting at the back. In addition to Ky. Busch - McMurray, Bayne, Hornish, Hamlin, Biffle, Edwards, Newman, Annett, and Truex unless they get the primary cars repaired.

Looking at the Daytona radar, the X-Men might not get the green flag at the 7:50 PM scheduled start time. And the Cup race might be delayed due to thunderstorms tomorrow evening. The good news is Juan Pablo won't be running into a track drier tomorrow. :eek:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Just started watching. I see they're in a rain delay. Did they talk about and/or show c-flags during pre-race? I saw on social media that fans were going to snub their nose at NASCAR. I don't want to go political, so a short answer would suffice....... ;)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I watched most of the day and did not see any flags of that nature.

As far as talking about it, didn't hear any conversations about the flag.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I wanna know why the Firecracker 400 isn't being run on the 4th? Tradition holds it is scheduled to run on the first Saturday in July, which is today.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I also want to know, why they showed David Pearson, Richard Petty, Fireball Roberts saying they won the Coke Zero 400!? There was not a race called the Coke Zero 400 when those guys ran!!!! They won the Firecracker 400!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I watched most of the day and did not see any flags of that nature.

As far as talking about it, didn't hear any conversations about the flag.

Thanks MT.

GA - Should be called the Coke Zero Firecracker 400. Tradition? Pfffftttt. Long gone...... Put up enough money and they'll call it "The Humpster 400"...... :)

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I also want to know, why they showed David Pearson, Richard Petty, Fireball Roberts saying they won the Coke Zero 400!? There was not a race called the Coke Zero 400 when those guys ran!!!! They won the Firecracker 400!!

Gotta agree, MT. Petty never won a single Sprint cup race, or a Nextel race for that matter.

GA_Boater

Thanks MT.

GA - Should be called the Coke Zero Firecracker 400. Tradition? Pfffftttt. Long gone...... Put up enough money and they'll call it "The Humpster 400"...... :)

I like that. You gonna sponsor? LOL

GA_Boater

Man, 14 laps and 3 cautions already. This is going to take all night if it doesn't start raining again.

GA_Boater

12 involved I think. What - About 12 laps to go when it happened?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Big One #2, caused by the leader who blocked too late.....