Well I think I have found my new(old) boat!

kristiismean

Recruit
Very Sharp, Very good looking. I would Love an older wooden boat, but I would not give it the care that it needs....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That a cool. old woodie, MT. The windshield brace with the grab rail is classic. Hope the water test goes well.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
MT, that is one sexy boat!!!! There is a place that specializes in wooden boats near my house and I like to go over and check them out once in a while. Let us know how it turn out.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well, it wasn't quite what I expected, lots of seam leaks, it has set in storage for a few years and the engine on it was not quite what he thought it was. We have what is called the "Whitefish Woody" festival on Saturday, so I might go to that to see what is out and about.

At the price he is asking, I am not all that comfortable with it. He is really firm on his price, but I am thinking I can find a C. Craft for that price, it would not be my primary boat and I am thinking I might really want to hold out for that direct drive. It was fun, but not quite what I expected.

I am disappointed.

Last edited:

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I pass on a lot of boats and feel disappointed.........right until I find the next one.:rockon:

There's lots of them out there. You'll find one....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry, MT. Sometimes the pics just look so appealing. You might see one with a for sale sign tomorrow.

southkogs

Staff member
I get in that same pattern MT ... too many of 'em just ain't what's in the ad. Hence the reason our CL thread is 477 pages long :glee:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well, I am not so disappointed, I have been looking for close to 30 years now, it was a nice boat, just not what I was expecting, of course I may be chasing something I will never find.

Jeep Man

Commander
I'm sure there was a number of things that were not as expected MT, but as to the leaks, it has been my understanding that wooden boats have to be set in slings in the water for a period of time to allow the wood to expand, resulting in the seams tightening up. This is normal for wooden boats. My cousins who have a woody put about 6" of water in the boat for a few days every spring before launch.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah our marina owner restored his grampas wood boat and it leaked bad for a couple weeks as I recall. He was checking on it every hour or so first couple days, even with slings under it.

MT this would be everything you are looking for. This thing is perfect. It took him a year to find the manifold. Oh and copper exhaust pipe.

IMG_20130817_113819_412_zpscdc7c587.jpg

82rude

Rear Admiral
nice little woody.simple solution for seam leakage which is common ,is to do what I did and that's to glass the bottom and use epoxy resin.not one drop of leakage in years.its particularly good for trailered boats that don't the natural sealing of water parked boats.filling the boat up with water or sinking in a foot or two of water for a few days are common old style ways of swelling the wood also.