Nascar - Turn Left And Right This Week - Race #16 At Sonoma

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
After a week off for Father's Day, the Race To The Chase resumes on the Sonoma Raceway road course. The Cup guys say this is the better of the two road courses they get to play on twice a year. I think many of the drivers like the twists and turns when road racing. The X-Men and Trucks are off this week. Here is the schedule from MRN;

sonoma.PNG

The road course races bring out the ringers, but the only one I see in the entry list is Boris Said. There are 44 entries, so one team will get to watch the race from the hillsides overlooking some of the best action in Nascar.

The weather looks good for the Toyota/Save Mart 350 and the entire weekend. Partly cloudy and 81 for Sunday.

News And Notes
  • Jr. got engaged. You couldn't have missed that, could you?
  • SHR seems to be working hard to keep Danica under contract, which runs through at the end of the year. She will also lose GoDaddy as her primary sponsor at the end of the season.
  • A new aero package will be used at the Kentucky race. And there are indications that at least one more race will have a track-specific aero package.
  • Nascar issued written warnings to 4 teams for failing inspection multiple times. No penalties are pending. Ho-Hum.
  • Kyle Busch is beginning to look like he won't make the Chase. He has to average a 12th place finish in the remaining 11 races to get to the predicted 30th place in points.and win a race. It's still possible, but the snowball is melting fast.
  • Kevin Harvick has been nominated for the 2015 Best Driver ESPY. So far this year he has 2 wins, 10 1st or 2nd place finishes out of 15 races and he is the 1st driver since 2001 to lead 1200 laps through 15 races. I think he is worthy.
  • Last week Erik Jones became the youngest to win two Nascar national races in a single weekend. He won the Truck race this past Friday at Iowa and on Sunday he took the checkers by winning the XFINITY race at Chicagoland.
  • The teams of Clint Bowyer and David Ragan have swapped crew chiefs at MWR.
  • FS1 TV ratings fell again for the Cup race at Michigan. :eek:
  • NBC has announced to broadcast team which debut at Daytona on the 4th of July. Rick Allen, Jeff Burton and Steve Letarte will call the races. The race show hosts are Kyle Petty, Dale Jarrett and Krista Voda. The pit road reporters are Marty Snider, Kelli Stavast, Mike Massaro, and Dave Burns. Nate Ryan will contribute news and Rutledge Wood, late of The History Channel's Top Gear and currently host of History's Lost In Transmission (I wish it is was lost. period), will be doing color pieces to fill dead air time.
  • How about another Cup road race? I'm up for it. ISC, the track ownership group owned by the France family and owners of Nascar, is in negotiations for a 3 year deal to operate the Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca. Nascar says they will not race there because the track isn't a good fit for Cup, XFINITY or Trucks. If there is money to be made, one of them will race there, in my opinion.

iboats Fantasy Live
In the last race two weeks ago, Jip pulled off the win to garner his second :first: of the year. Way to go Jip!

The overall leader is still aspeck. His lead over FlaCowboy is a hair over 140 points.​

Get your changes made before the race start and good luck everyone.

The opinions expressed are mine, all mine. :D

Humpy_Boater

GA_Boater

So who got the Sonoma pole? AJ Allmendinger did. The rest of the top 12 - Ku. Busch, Kenseth, Larson (set a new track record in session 1), Gordon, Bowyer, Stewart, Mears, Ragan, Keso, Ky. Busch and Truex Jr. Gaughan is gone again.

How about this Cup tidbit? For the first time ever rain tires are in reserve, cars have wiper systems and a rain light on the back. Looking at the weather, none of that stuff will be used tomorrow.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
IMO...Iknow...no one asked for it but I am gonna give it anyway...:laugh:
Why would Nascar have "rain tires" in reserve for a race where the drivers will be making Right Hand Turns...??? :eek:
C`mon Nascar...if the drivers are gonna try rain tires do it on a track where the drivers are only turning to the left where most drivers are more comfortable...:rain:

boatman37

Lieutenant
i love the road courses. wish there were more. keep an eye on mcmurray too. he grew up on road courses but i would love to see jr get a road course win. others i will be pulling for are truex and dinger

GA_Boater

IMO...Iknow...no one asked for it but I am gonna give it anyway...:laugh:
Why would Nascar have "rain tires" in reserve for a race where the drivers will be making Right Hand Turns...??? :eek:
C`mon Nascar...if the drivers are gonna try rain tires do it on a track where the drivers are only turning to the left where most drivers are more comfortable...:rain:

XFINITY races in the rain on road courses. A good driver can turn left and right. LOL

Just like dodging rib bones! :joyous:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
How about this Cup tidbit? For the first time ever rain tires are in reserve, cars have wiper systems and a rain light on the back. Looking at the weather, none of that stuff will be used tomorrow.

That's too bad. I would like to see all that "stuff" being used........

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The Shubster wins.....

Jeb, what on earth were you thinking?????!!!!! Be like Juan????

64osby

Admiral
Saw the last 10 laps, trying to figure out what happened to Truax.:confused:

What did Jeb do???

GA_Boater

I was out and about, so listened to PRN. Not that I could see Fox Sucky 1 anyway. :mad:

From what I heard, Truex is ticked at Ragan. "I hit him down there in Turn 7 on accident and kind of doored him and I think he got pissed off and turned me on purpose," Truex Jr. said.

Yep, the Shrubster won the race. I don't think it will be enough to get him in the Chase. Ten races left to move into the top 30 in points is still gonna be hard to do.

It looks like 64osby is this weeks winner and aspeck put 50 points on FlaCowboy in the overall race. The final results on Tuesday.

Next week the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona and the X-Men, too. Still have to wait one more week for the next Truck race. Fox is done broadcasting for the year and coverage switches to NBC (OK)/NBCSN:)blue:).

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Haha, no..... Came into the pits and "tried" pulling into his stall by crossing in front of safety truck. Truck spun him....Lol

GA_Boater

Haha, no..... Came into the pits and "tried" pulling into his stall by crossing in front of safety truck. Truck spun him....Lol

Musta worked - His 2nd best finish this year, 32nd. Why was a safety truck on pit lane? The pits shouldn't be open with safety equipment in the pits. Of course the pits should be open when Nascar tells everyone they're open, regardless of whether the guy turning the green pit light on is awake or sleeping like last weeks X-Men fiasco.

GA_Boater

Got the final results. Our winner for Sonoma is 64osby. He has his 3rd :first: of the year. Congrats, 64. Road courses are always a good win.

aspeck is the overall leader with a slight increase over FlaCowby.

Daytona is next up on Sunday.

64osby

Admiral
Road courses are like playing the Roulette wheel.

Boris The Ringer didn't Ring.

boatman37

Lieutenant
good race. ragan was pretty aggressive the whole race. just wish there were more road courses