Kids napping in covered open bow?

hostage

Lieutenant
Anyone ever use their open bow with the bow cover still on as a place to have a young child nap? I love my cuddy, but I am wondering if this is a possibility.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Oh heck yeah...many times when the kids were smaller. It was like a little fort for them.

hostage

Lieutenant
jkust, you seem to be the only person on this forum :)

A big reason I was holdling off on a boat is we are going to have baby in November. The cuddy was a planned nap area, though with an open bow + cover, that might change that.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Doesn't the cuddy get really hot in there anyway? I'm presuming you don't have AC? We'd just put the baby in the car seat and put them the shade wherever the shade happened to be.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Oh yeah...it's my slow season at work. Everyone is out of the office in the summer.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Yep, our kids hang out in there. Sometimes we put the bow cover on and they hide out in there from the wind or if they get chilly. Not quite as secluded as a cuddy, but it serves the purpose.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
kids did it all the time in the SeaRay for either cold weather ( was usually first boat to pull into JJ's in sister bay in March) or when it rained.

hostage

Lieutenant
Wife shot down the idea of upgrading to a bow rider in preggo hormonal rage ><

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stick with the cuddy. It's probably safer for newborn anyways but what to do I know. We had our kids sleep under the bow filler cushions. Threw a folded up towel under neath and pointed some battery powered fans into the space. They never slept long though but it's amazing how a 20-30 min power nap can change their mood.

When they were babies, we went on a nice long slow cruise. Even with their pfd on, it would put them out in no time. My wife would hold them or put them down on the seat next to her.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
A cuddy is nice with babbies, but as toddlers and children after swimming they can nap anywhere anytime. The bow with cover works great, make sure you're stereo is wired correctly so you turn off the front speakers.

Funny story, my friends 5 year old was napping on the bow floor of my 18' boat, along came a wake from a 50' boat. I successfully rode over the first one but the second one came crashing over the bow dousing her with a wall of water. Didn't wake up.