Windows 10??

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
I got an icon that I can click and get Win 10 but am hesitant. But at the same time I hate Win 8.1 with a passion so I am really tempted try it. Has anyone else made the change yet and what do you think of it?

rogerwa

Commander
It won't upgrade when you click on it. It will just tell them you want it.. I believe it becomes available July 29th or something like that. If you elect for it, it will download the distribution to your machine and you will have the opportunity at that point to install or not. I am on Win7 and opted for it. I don't know if I will upgrade or not, but at least I'll have the choice when it is released.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have been running the technical release for 5 months now, it is a nice OS and will be easy to run, if you like what you have, don't upgrade, if you don't like what you have it is worth looking at. I actually like 8.1, but I have also installed a small program so I have the regular desktop with a start menu, which is what most people don't like, it was to much of a change , we were all raised with the start button and desktop. I have run the small program to make 8.1 run like 7 for a couple of years now and see very little difference between it and 7.

Windows 10, is going to be a comfortable upgrade so people can get familiar with it what we had in the past again. I don't like the fact, they will be moving more and more to having the OS running on the cloud and not on your computer.

aspeck

Staff member
MT, I have done the same with Windows 8.1. It was a pain setting up the way I liked and was used to and there were some things that I had to learn to do differently. I hated it for the first few weeks, but I am okay with it now ... because I have it as close to 7 as possible.

angus63

Captain
Had 8.1, downgraded back to 7. Didn't like new trick being an old dog. Opted for 10 and will decide to install after I check it out on a work PC. My daughter loves 8.1 so I may spend an evening picking her brain to get more comfortable with the new format. Change is inevitable, but so is my stubbornness.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I guess I'm one of the few who likes 8.1. I didn't make any changes to it....... And I made the jump from XP. It's my understanding that 10 is supposed to be more user friendly....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I guess I'm one of the few who likes 8.1. I didn't make any changes to it....... And I made the jump from XP. It's my understanding that 10 is supposed to be more user friendly....

Didn't you get a touch screen model?

thumpar

Admiral
I have also run the beta in VM and like windows 10. On my desktop I hate windows 8 but on the 13" tablet PC it is ok. When I ordered my last laptop I made sure it was windows 7 but will be going to windows 10 on it.

dolluper

Captain
Windows 10 free

Seems Microsoft wants everyone using windows 7 and up to sign up to get a free upgrade to windows 10.....If you notice a four square box in your taskbar and click on it your reserve request and info will be there.....It's for phones ,tablets,PC's anything that has windows 7 and up ...You reserve the upgrade download and wait for it....it's true not a scam but is a 3 gig download so it could cost you on a phone

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My wife has the windows icon in her tray, none of my computers have it yet, I don't have auto updates turned on, on the computers I run, she has auto updates turned on, so if you are interested, you need to turn auto updates to get the notification to reserve your copy.

Twidget

Commander
At work the majority of our computers are XP based, with a few Windows 7. When I was building my new computer and needed a copy of Windows, the head of the IT department told me I should go with 8.1. The logic was that we would be supporting it anyway, so I might as well learn to do the 8.1 dance. Now MS says I could have skipped 8.1 and used 7 all this time. :facepalm:

Having said that everyone I know that has used the Win 10 betas is really impressed. This includes an Apple/Linux guy who generally detests anything Microsoft related.

bassman284

Commander
Hmm, I wonder if Win 10 would have worked with my old printer. I bought a new Dell with 8.1 in March and it absolutely refused to communicate with my HP 2050. After a few weeks of troubleshooting online and with Dell. HP and Microsoft the best I could get was, "Well, it should work but sometimes they don't." Thanks for that. A few days ago Walmart had the HP 2132 on sale for 39 bucks so I got it and I'm back in business.

The printer worked fine using my laptop with Win 7.

NYBo

Admiral
Hmm, no upgrade icon yet. I'd like to see a speed and compatibility test vs my current OS (Win 7) before taking the plunge, though.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As I said, I have been running the Tech release for a few months now and find it to be faster and more stream line that either 7 or 8.1 and most of the guys I know in the IT business like it for the most part as well. My wife has got the upgrade icon on her computer, but none of mine have yet, but when it is released I should get a update through Tech release to let me know when it is available.

bassman284

Commander
As I understand it you don't have to reserve a copy to get the free upgrade. The difference is that if you have a reservation, they will download it as soon as it's available. Otherwise you have to go to MS website and ask for it.

RGrew176

Commander
Before I download the update to Windows 10 I think I will want to go to a store and play with a computer that has Windows 10 on it so I can get a feel for it.

NYBo

Admiral
Icon showed up today. Since the choice to install or not comes later, I reserved my copy.