Nascar - Speed Racer Junkie Sunday - Race #12 - Coca Cola 600 And The Indy 500

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm going to get dizzy! Coming up this Sunday, 1100 miles of round and round and round and round. The 99th running of the Indy 500 race starting at 12:15 followed by the Coke 600 green flag 6 hours later. The first event at the IMS was a helium gas-filled balloon competition on Saturday, June 5, 1909.

The 2015 Indy 500 has had it's share of ups and downs since the first practice session. Three cars went flying, fortunately only the cars were hurt. Not so in the case of James Hinchcliffe, who crashed hard after the right, front suspension failed during practice on Monday. Without getting too gory, he underwent surgery on Monday and will miss the 500. Ryan Briscoe is filling in and will start at the back of the field.

Indy Trivia - What was the first event held at what is now known as the Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

Back to Nascar - Along with 600 miles of Cup racing, the XFINITY series will contest the Hisense 300 Saturday. Here is the MRN schedule with the first Cup practice starting things off today;

cc600.PNG

48 drivers will be trying to qualify for the 43 starting slots.

Weather should not be a factor for the 600. The forecasts from the WX guessers shows no rain through Monday.

News and Notes
  • Only one driver will attempt the Double, sort of. Jeff Gordon has been named the Indy 500 pace care driver, so at the end of the 500 he has to hustle off to Buffalo...er....Charlotte.
  • Birth Announcements - Kyle Busch became a daddy on Monday when his son was born. Brad Keselowski also became a daddy with the birth of a daughter on Wednesday.
  • Kyle Busch will be driving in his 1st Cup points race of the year.
  • The 2016 Nascar Hall of Fame class was named - Jerry Cook, Bobby Isaac, Terry Labonte, O. Bruton Smith and Curtis Turner.
  • Furniture Row Racing, the only Cup team not based in the Charlotte area (Denver), may be starting a 2nd team. Pending a sponsor, of course.
  • The #48 team got a warning for modifying the side skirts during the All-Star race.
  • 5 teams were issued warnings for Kansas inspection faux pas - Logano, Mears, Whitt, Junior and Menard.
  • Atlanta is trying to get a later date in the schedule. The 1st of March was way too early this year.
  • All teams are now required to wear fire protective gear following fires occurring during pit stops.
  • David Letterman is a big racing fan and part-owner of Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing in IndyCar. Here is a clip of one of his Top Ten lists presented by Dale Earnhardt after he finally won a Daytona 500- http://nascartalk.nbcsports.com/201...presented-david-lettermans-top-10-list-video/
  • Instead of the drivers name on the windshield this week, each of the cars will have the name of a Fallen Hero. Memorial Day is to honor those who have given their lives so we can enjoy freedom. I'm sure many of the names on the cars didn't consider themselves to be heroes, just a man or women doing their duty. RIP and Thank You.

iboats Fantasy Live
  • aspeck won FL, Kansas edition and for his smart choices, has another :first: on his mantle. This win also kept 'speck on top of the overall standings. Congrats, Mr. Speck. :D
  • We're probably rusty after a two week gap making picks and changes to our iboats Fantasy Live teams. That's no excuse - Dust off the cobwebs and Git 'er Dun. Good luck.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The #48 team got a warning for modifying the side skirts during the All-Star race.
5 teams were issued warnings for Kansas inspection faux pas - Logano, Mears, Whitt, Junior and Menard.

Suspend them all for 4 races.............

aspeck

Staff member
So Gordon is the care driver ... He driving the Ambulance? Ha! Hmmm what to tweak? Not quite sure? Could this be Smoke's turning point?

GA_Boater

So Gordon is the care driver ... He driving the Ambulance? Ha! Hmmm what to tweak? Not quite sure? Could this be Smoke's turning point?

Yes - He gets to drive with the flashing lights and siren. unlike the pace care which only has flashing lights. I read it after typing, check for typos, read after posting and still had one extra e! :doh:

GA_Boater

Matt Kenseth is on pole for the Coke 600, followed by Logano, Edwards, Biffle, Hamlin, Keselowski, Ragan, Harvick, Larson, Truex Jr., Dillon and Stewart. Not making the race are Burton, Bliss, Kvapil, Green and Gaughan. Jeb Burton wasn't the slowest qualifier this week, that honor went to Brendan Gaughan.

How about Jeff Gordon getting a retirement job? No, he won't be a greeter at Walmart. Starting next year, he will be Fox Nascar Race Analyst, sitting beside Darrell Waltrip and Mike Joy.

GA_Boater

This is what Fox Sports said;

Gordon will call all NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races, practice and qualifying sessions for FOX Sports alongside play-by-play announcer Mike Joy and NASCAR Hall of Famer and analyst Darrell Waltrip. Chris Myers hosts the network's coverage alongside analysts Larry McReynolds and Michael Waltrip.

aspeck

Staff member
Reshuffled the team. ... Could be a go big or go home moment .... We will see ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
This is what Fox Sports said;
Gordon will call all NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races, practice and qualifying sessions for FOX Sports alongside play-by-play announcer Mike Joy and NASCAR Hall of Famer and analyst Darrell Waltrip. Chris Myers hosts the network's coverage alongside analysts Larry McReynolds and Michael Waltrip.

At least it isn't Mikey. He's probably filed a formal protest already since he's "experienced".....

GA_Boater

Both Waltrips in the same booth for every race would kill nascar.

I never see or hear Jeff Hammond any more, which isn't necessarily bad.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Both Waltrips in the same booth for every race would kill nascar.

I never see or hear Jeff Hammond any more, which isn't necessarily bad.

Lol I was thinking the same thing! I don't mind Hammond.. I like Kyle Petty.......:car:

64osby

Admiral
We are camping at the beach on Lake Michigan. Hope I can pull in a MRN station. Forgot to record the race.

Nice that fallen soldiers are being recognized.

Just hope NASCAR is not following the same road as the NFL.

GA_Boater

We are camping at the beach on Lake Michigan. Hope I can pull in a MRN station. Forgot to record the race.

Nice that fallen soldiers are being recognized.

Just hope NASCAR is not following the same road as the NFL.

All you're gonna hear is static, 64. PRN is doing the race, here are the MI stations, maybe one is close;

radio.PNG

The difference between the NFL and Nascar is Goodell answers to the owners and I think he may now be on the wrong side of Kraft. Nascar is owned by the France family and answers to no one.

64osby

Admiral
Grand Haven 93.1 should work. Thanks!

I was referring to the NFL getting millions to "Honor our soldiers". Seems more like paid advertising.

GA_Boater

Gotcha! A story down here is that the Falcons got more than any other team. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Nascar is paid to honor our soldiers too. But no reports, so only unfounded speculation.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Who won Xfinity? today, been in town running errands, then came home to a very sad report from my father, so have not taken the time to look to see what is going on.

GA_Boater

Austin Dillon won from the pole. MT. Followed by Hamlin, Kahne, Smith and Wallace Jr.

Hope things are OK on the family front.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Austin Dillon won from the pole. MT. Followed by Hamlin, Kahne, Smith and Wallace Jr.

Hope things are OK on the family front.

Thanks GA, figured he was going to win. Unfortunately, Dad is in pretty bad shape, I may have to relocate for a while to help him out.