Pregnant wife and boating?

hostage

Lieutenant
My wife just started her 2nd trimester and we have no idea how she would handle a boat. We will try it out some time soon, though has any one had any experience with this, as I am new territory? We were going to get a slip again, though we are unsure at this point.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
This question is better for her doctor. Some risk to the baby is introduced, it depends on a lot more factors than her second trimester.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You would be surprised at the things that are off limits to pregnant moms. Agree to check with her OB. With that said, there is a huge difference between offshore boating and boating on a calm inland lake. For the most part, your wife's body will decide.

hostage

Lieutenant
The doctor said no water skiing, though I didn't think to ask her about boating in general ><

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would think if she couldn't go boating he would have said it, rather than just no water skiing........ May want to double check just to ease your mind. 1st kid I bet.....

Edit: My wife was out in our 24' when we had it at 8 months. I wouldn't go out in pounding waves. Your wife would not like you....

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
My mom was boating in August and had me in September ... some people say it didn't hurt me ;):eek::D My wife was boating right up to the end with ours. I did adjust my driving to be a "little more gentle," but other than that, no problem.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Heck my first wife was helping me drag and Elk out of the woods, when she was 8.5 months pregnant with my Daughter. So, being pregnant is not a handicap, but it is always best to check with her OBGYN to make sure, but unless she is having complications, she will probably be fine.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My wife was flying with me in our Mooney (4-seat retractable single-engine airplane) at eight months. With both our kids. This was before I owned a boat, so no specific advice there, but I feel certain we would have boated. Ask the doc for sure.

dwco5051

Commander
My wife was flying with me in our Mooney (4-seat retractable single-engine airplane) at eight months. With both our kids. This was before I owned a boat, so no specific advice there, but I feel certain we would have boated. Ask the doc for sure.

I had a friend who had one of these, I think it was a 231. You had to be fairly agile just to get in it. I am six foot but have very short legs and I had to almost have the yoke touching me for the pedals to be comfortable. At eight months it is a good thing she didn't have to take over control. At eight months my first wife was still riding on the back of my 48 Indian Chief. It all depends on the woman and what her doctor says.