Ideas for on boat entertainment work little kids while cruising

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
All you folks who have boated with little kids, I need some ideas. Kids are 5 and 3. While anchored we have a blast and everyone really behaves well. The issue is while cruising the kids seem to get a little restless.

What are some ideas you guys have used and some rules for the water while under way? We have a 20 ft bow rider with sport seating. I know no standing on seats, but how bad of an idea is it to let them walk? Should they stay out of the bow? I just want to keep them safe but I feel the plan of "sit still on your bottom" isn't the right plan for this age.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I have a 202BR. The kids have to pick a spot before we get up to any speed and stay there. Normally they are in the bow but they have to be on their butts in the seat and grab the rail. If they need to move it has to be important and I slow down to off plane speed before they can. Most times is it not a problem because they love the wind in their face and looking around. Get some drink cups that seal for them so they are not constantly asking for a drink.

I have had a boat for about 10 years. The daughter was 4 when I got it and my son grew up on it and is now almost 7. Just get them in a routine for boating.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the encouragement for getting into a routine for boating. What are thoughts on letting them sit on the floor while underway? This would allow them to play a little but not sure what I'm overlooking.

I guess since I control the throttle I cam always make sure they follow rules. I just want to make sure I keep them safe.

thumpar

Admiral
My son will sometimes sit on the floor. I just don't like them moving around once on plane. One thing to be careful of is to make sure they are ready when you throttle up and don't pull the throttle back too fast. I also make frequent stops. A normal day trip is 25 miles down the lake and 25 back. There are about 5 stops along the way with a couple for floating and eating. Make sure they eat and drink. The younger ones will just want to play instead of eating and then get grumpy. If you have the bow filler cushions take them with you. My son likes to fall asleep under them after the last stop on the way to the ramp.

southkogs

Staff member
thumpar has some good stuff for you.

Add in - let 'em drive on your lap a little. You control, they think they control. With the 5 YO, let 'em take the helm at low speed for a while. Take your time for a little bit of the trip, then when it's go fast time let 'em sit on your lap.

Plan snack time around cruises too. That'll buy you a little time.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
This is awesome guys, I appreciate it. I had never let them eat while under way for feat of choking but I guess snack selection can help with that.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer
I use to play the "What If" game.....

I would ask a question such as "What if we hit a wave and I was tossed over the side of the boat?" They would be expected to come up with a game plan as to what they would do.

My kids kind of liked it because it involved them with what we were doing at the present moment.

What if we hit a log hard and sprang a leak?
What if we saw a boat on fire?
What if we saw Mommy's latest boyfriend floating alone in the middle of the lake?
Those types of questions....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the issue with sitting on the floor when the boat is moving, most times will make the person or child seasick. the sense of motion without the visual stimulation of motion.

As Thumpar suggested, get the kids in a habbit of sitting when underway. I grew up boating from the time I was 6 months old in mom's arms. Dad made it clear to me and my siblings as far back as I can remember. sit down, be quiet, enjoy the ride. We used to point at wild life, and dad would slow down and get close for us to take a look. Family of deer, bald eagles, flock of ducks, etc. When we boated on the Menomonee river, we would help dad look for floaters or stumps in our path.

Dad sat us on his lap when we were young so we could "take the wheel". we were actually driving the boat solo by the time we were teens as we had the knowledge and respect of boating taught to us often.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have an idea of having them sit and enjoying the ride. I also looked up some things that I can have them prep with, take transom straps to the trick, get toys out, hand me bumpers out of the compartment, etc. I like looking for wildlife, etc. I can just take a little more time on the journey.

southkogs

Staff member
Oh, and ... hopefully y'all fly a US flag on yer' ship.

I've made posting the colors a big deal on our boat - 17' foot bow rider, nuthin' fancy. Kids of ANY age can have have the special job of posting or retrieving the colors. Makes flyin' the flag a little bit bigger deal, and adds some memories.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Having two boys myself and having them boat since they were newborns and me boating since I was three months old, I can say that they generally don't sit still willingly for long. Like was said above, we'd have them pick a spot, keep their butt on the seat or floor and hold on. Of course they wanted to wander such as moving from the bow to the floor of the bow or want to scoot back to wherever mom was in the boat. Get them each a pair of sunglasses with a floating strap for when they are in the bow and they will enjoy just sitting up there and watching the scene. Kids also love to snack the whole time out on the boat...like someone flips a switch as soon as they board. I generally will get stuff that won't make a mess such as avoiding chocolate that will smear or colored drinks because they will spill on stuff plus I keep the carpet out of the boat. We will generally have a soft side cooler with drinks and snacks. It's a great time to teach them boat safety and operation over the years as they grow that there is a lot less forgiveness of mistakes out on the water and the rules actually mean something.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
So as far as bow seating is concerned, do you just let them and mom go up there, leave the glass open and go slower (just on plane)? When they get restless up there would you just come off plane, let them move seats and get back on plane?

One thing I thought is to designate our stop spots as part of a float plan i hAve them help me make. Then communicate to the kids that we get lunch at the lunch stop and feed ducks at the duck spot, etc. Then if they get to restless while under way I'll just come off plane until they sit. If it happens to take forever to get to the lunch spot, so be it. They can learn responsibility without the fight and should learn to sit pretty quickly.

thumpar

Admiral
I will let the kids sit up front even at WOT. My glass is always open on the water. They grew up on a boat. If someone wants to move I will go to a just on plane speed and they have to stay, no second chances. We have spots that we anchor at that they know where they are. For lunch I usually just float so that they don't try to get to one of the beaches.

southkogs

Staff member
I don't let people move around while we're on plane. The boat is just too small and too affected by the water surface. However, they can sit up from regardless. Otherwise, my trips sound much like what you describe Keith.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the advice everyone. The family really responded well to this approach and we had a great time today (other than me ruining in to shallow water). Wife even said she thought it was the best day on the boat yet.