You're doing it wrong.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That's why it is always important to turn off the engine in the boat when trailering. If the engine throttle lever moves forward, things like this can happen... :facepalm:

I would love to hear him explain that to the insurance adjuster...

Baldo69

Cadet
haha I don't need a trailer if I can just haul my boat like that:lol:

sahendo

Seaman
He should have just told the wife he wanted a whole new setup! He didn't have to smash it up to get a new rig.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Deja vue all over again....

That very same thing happened to me, excpet I was standing still at the stoplight when the drunk hit me from behind.

The other difference was that the boat never left the trailer. The bow was firmly attached to the winch and the stern tiedowns kept the stern in place. The tongue split in half - the front part remained on the ball and the back part literally drove over the trunk and veered to the side.

Good thing he didn't hit me square because I had a convertible and the top was down.

aspeck

Staff member
Evidence of a sudden stop (note pole and front end) MIGHT have contributed to this boat/trailer/truck configuration!:eek:;):facepalm: oops!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Do you realize how far he now has to back the truck into the water to float that boat off... :facepalm:

leonreno

Seaman Apprentice
I've always wanted to install a power pole on my boat too!! But that's not the right way.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
He would launch it the same way. 30 MPH in reverse and dynamite the brakes. It'll come off just fine provided he has the outdrive raised.

aspeck

Staff member
Kind of flies in the face of the statement "A bad day fishing is better than a good day working..." :eek:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
witnessed a similar event on Tuesday driving home from work on 275. first accident was a truck pulling a landscaping trailer full of yard waste. looks like the driver attempted a panic stop, trailer swung around and jack-knifed embedding itself into the side of the truck, then both the truck and trailer were taking up 3 lanes of traffic.

Traffic was still only crawling along because a few miles later, second accident just prior to the skyway toll booths. boat/trailer/truck accident. appears no transom tie downs used on a float-on trailer and the truck attempted a panic stop in traffic. the truck had the cab smashed from behind as the boat broke off the winch post and landed on the truck. The driver must have then turned to the soft shoulder on the left which then flipped the truck breaking off the trailer coupler and tossing the boat onto the highway divider. the emergency crews had the truck being winched on to a flat-bed, the boat being winched onto a new trailer, and the wrecked trailer was being winched onto another flat bed as I rolled past with traffic. interesting set of skid marks, broken fiberglass, broken glass and debris in the road.

both cases they were doing it wrong.