Ticks!!!!!!!!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I've never seen so many in spring. I live in sand country and it's been dry. I literally walk across the yard and have to pick 1/2 dozen off. I walked down to my boat and the wheel facing west was loaded with them. Unreal............

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Family back home says same thing. some of the diseases the little buggers have are quite nasty.

alldodge

Staff member
I've never seen so many in spring. I live in sand country and it's been dry. I literally walk across the yard and have to pick 1/2 dozen off. I walked down to my boat and the wheel facing west was loaded with them. Unreal............

Shake and shiver, agree they are bad this season but have not seen them as bad as your stating. My mother in law in French Lick IN they have always been bad. Little pieces if s**t that can hide real well until later. Locally many have found them in the unmentionable area and so far I've been clean, just a matter of time

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hope the boat isn't loaded with 'em, Musky. :eek:

Those little buggers can be feasting on you and you never know it until you see one.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
So far I haven't been bit, yet. Was bit about 6 times last year. Deer tick or not they can all carry a disease. Do tick checks multiple times a day.....:facepalm::laugh:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Bad around here also, for 2 weeks already.

I've been staying out of the grass and brush.
Worked in my woods a little, and rode the atv in the fields, so far tick free.

Neighbor hung the bed sheets out to dry, and had 4 of them on the sheets in an hour.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
May have to use some serious DEET spray. And even use it in the boat as well. When I hunted regularly, it was pretty common to get a tick or two. But remove them and use some good medication on the bite area and all should be well. Non-hunters have no idea how many ticks are crawling on deer all the time. It is amazing to see such things... An absolute eye opener for certain! :eek: :faint2:

aspeck

Staff member
Only good part about ticks is needing the wife to do a thorough check for ticks after being outside ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
May have to use some serious DEET spray. And even use it in the boat as well. When I hunted regularly, it was pretty common to get a tick or two. But remove them and use some good medication on the bite area and all should be well. Non-hunters have no idea how many ticks are crawling on deer all the time. It is amazing to see such things... An absolute eye opener for certain! :eek: :faint2:

I have some spray with 40% Deet. I guess I need to spray daily....

Only good part about ticks is needing the wife to do a thorough check for ticks after being outside ...

:thumb:...

Ps. I actually looked in the boat today, GA. I had visions of the whole floor moving........:eek:

Last edited:

Jeep Man

Commander
Got a tip off the interwebs last year. A little dish soap on a cotton swab and hold it on the area the tick burrows in. The tick will detach and attach to the swab. Worked last year with on of the grandkids. Now I keep soap and swabs on the boat and in my tackle box.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Got a tip off the interwebs last year. A little dish soap on a cotton swab and hold it on the area the tick burrows in. The tick will detach and attach to the swab. Worked last year with on of the grandkids. Now I keep soap and swabs on the boat and in my tackle box.

I just had that same conversation with a friend and neither one of us could remember what to put on the swab, now we know............... Thanks Jeep Man...

64osby

Admiral
We have had several in the house, pretty sure they a hitching a ride on the cats.

Woke up in the middle of the night after feeling one working his way up my arm. He ended up cut in half and flushed. Nasty things they are.

Great tip on the soap and swab. Thanks

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Bad around these parts also ! Both me and the admiral have had to remove a couple starting to burrow in ..

MRS

Commander
Watch them I got the big D lime about 26 years ago not fun all my joints started to hurt and not feeling good. Looked down on my calf and had a perfect bulleye knew what is was then had to tell the doctor what it was he looked it up and yup blood test proved it. Here in California was not known so much as it was back east. Use to do a lot of hog hunting archery so was in the brush alot on antibiotices strong ones for 21 days off for 7 days back on for 21 more days really messes up your system but if you do not kill it complete you will still have it. So if you see a bulleye around a bite get it checked out fast...

82rude

Rear Admiral
WIMUSKY never mind the wimpy 40 percent stuff go to wallyworld and get the 100 percent deet stuff.its called repel 100. its actually 98.11 percent deet.

alldodge

Staff member
No expert here but my understanding is the tick passes the infection when they are coming out (on their own) or being pulled out. Anything that is put on a tick which causes it to pull out, it sort of throws up on the way out. The preferred method is to take small pointed tweezers and get next to the skin and start a steady pull, not hard, The tick will release and the tweezers keeps it from throwing up.

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

WIMUSKY

Staff member
WIMUSKY never mind the wimpy 40 percent stuff go to wallyworld and get the 100 percent deet stuff.its called repel 100. its actually 98.11 percent deet.

Now that sounds downright deadly........

I guess I thought using soap on a q-tip would back the tick out instantly. Not so? I've never tried it. I know they would rather have you use tweezers than your fingers to pull them out. Using your fingers compresses the tick an squeezes the tick juice into you....... But, who takes the time to use tweezers...........

rbh

Fleet Admiral
What ever happened to taking a pin and heating it up with a bick lighter or whatever and touching it to the tick to get it to pull back?

82rude

Rear Admiral
theres nothing wrong with repel 100.i would of had the 3rd limb growing out of my forehead anyways im sure.:lol: