Dog Pee on lawn..

MRS

Commander
Ok you guys helped me with the weeds now it is dog pee. I have been putting amonia sulfate on it but not doing so good brown dead spots where he go's. Guess I was born to not have a complete lawn. Always had dogs love them just not the brown spots...

southkogs

Staff member
So, this isn't going to help you much but ... oddly (and I thought it was females more than males that damaged the grass), but I've not noticed any trouble where they go on the lawn this year. I've got a good green one going at the moment.

I think we changed their food for a little while, and I didn't put down a pre-emergent this year. Not sure if the lack of pre-emergent would have anything to do with it.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm no expert on this, but I believe that the spots are due to the concentration of ammonia in the urine. Ammonia will kill grass, that's for sure. I've never found a prevention or correction...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We used to have one of those commercial pee pads on the porch, and that is where the dogs did their pee business, however when they had to do their other business! But if you have pets, it is very difficult to keep them from peeing in the grass.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Odd we owned two Siberian Huskies and never ever had any problem with spotted lawn. And I do take extremely good care of my lawn so I would see such issues without a doubt.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Odd we owned two Siberian Huskies and never ever had any problem with spotted lawn. And I do take extremely good care of my lawn so I would see such issues without a doubt.

We have a female Husky too with no problems yet. Now when we had a female Lab and Border Collie/Malamute mix I had brown spots. It was my understanding the females had more ammonia, actually nitrogen, in their urine. Not sure why the Husky isn't browning it out. I believe there is something you can do, but I just don't remember...Lime? May have to google it....

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
We have a female Husky too with no problems yet. Now when we had a female Lab and Border Collie/Malamute mix I had brown spots. It was my understanding the females had more ammonia, actually nitrogen, in their urine. Not sure why the Husky isn't browning it out. I believe there is something you can do, but I just don't remember...Lime? May have to google it....

Hummm, both of our Huskies were females as well. And we had them from over 13 years and 16 years before they passed. But never ever had any issues... IDK But I will say, great dogs without a doubt! :noidea:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Hummm, both of our Huskies were females as well. And we had them from over 13 years and 16 years before they passed. But never ever had any issues... IDK But I will say, great dogs without a doubt! :noidea:

Huskies are awesome. Ours is a lap dog...Lol

Everything I've read basically sez to water the area after they go. It will dilute the urine......

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/gardennotes/553.html

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Female lab cross did the same thing browning out spots, but later did the grass grow back great! and no more dandylions in that spot.

Kinda like pee and grow. LOL

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Females are the bigger problem not as much because of chemistry of the urine, but that they tend to squat and let it all out in one spot....male dogs like to wander a bit and mark territory...especially trees, hydrants etc.
Lots of water and a bit of dolomitic limestone minimises damage.

MRS

Commander
Thanks for the help Bentley is charpay and rodision mostly rodision I know I spelled it wrong but that is as close as I can get. 87lbs. 2yr.s old stands and go,s alot will google it and see what comes up great dog just pee's to much on my lawn...:glee:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Females are the bigger problem not as much because of chemistry of the urine, but that they tend to squat and let it all out in one spot....male dogs like to wander a bit and mark territory...especially trees, hydrants etc.
Lots of water and a bit of dolomitic limestone minimizes damage.

True. Also, as mentioned above, it is nitrogen that kills the lawn. Funny, a little nitrogen - lawn turns green, too much - burns as if you poured gasoline on the lawn. I have 2 female dogs and they are burning my lawn so bad it will be completely gone in a few more months (small lawn - about 25' X 60').

I read on a gardening forum yesterday that sugar neutralizes the nitrogen from dog urine. It looks like people have been either sprinkling about a tablespoon of regular sugar on each spot or just putting a few pounds in a handheld fertilizer spreader and giving the entire lawn a dose. I did both this morning and watered afterward to get it into the soil (and so the dogs wouldn't overdose on sugar). I will let you know if it makes a difference. If not, I am only out a few $.

MRS

Commander
SD, I think I will also give that a try tomorrow cannot hurt anything plus, will make the grass taste sweeter for turbo the tortoise. Thanks will let you know if it helps or if I find something else that might work.

82rude

Rear Admiral
train fido to pee in your neighbors yard.problem solved.at least the pee problem will be solved you might have to deal with others after.lol.:D

NYBo

Admiral
I read somewhere that pouring beer on the spot will counteract the urine. A crime against humanity to use beer for such a purpose, if you ask me.:faint2:

MRS

Commander
I read somewhere that pouring beer on the spot will counteract the urine. A crime against humanity to use beer for such a purpose, if you ask me.:faint2:

NYBo, now that you mention that I have heard that will have to try that it. But cannot use dark beer cause then Bentley will lick a hole in the lawn. :playful:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
In the winter mine pees in one spot and it gets burnt out. Once the snow melts she pees everywhere so there are nice and bright green spots everywhere. I'm thinking about bottling it and spraying it over the whole lawn!

My uncle used to chase his Springers around with a hose and he'd water down where the dog went. That worked but seemed to take a lot of effort.

A friend made made a big "sand box" and filled it with pea gravel. It worked great for a short period of time but eventually you end up with a really smelly pile of gravel and all the rain in the world wont wash the smell away.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Awe if dog pee was all I had to worry about, walked out this morning to 3 nice steaming horse piles and this afternoon, had a dozen deer in the yard doing their business throw a few snowshoes in, man I am about ready to move out of Montana!

NOT!