Hello all... I'm Back!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Didya miss me? LOL!

Anyway, I sold my Sea Nymph several years ago and have been boatless since then. Until today when I bought a 1976 Starcraft Kingfisher 16 footer. The seller had advertised it as an 18 foot Starcraft aluminum boat so I'd researched and figured it was a Mariner or SS or whatnot. Imagine my surprise after I drove the 100 miles to check it out, only to discover that the boat had shrunk a full 2 feet in length when I arrived! Ah well. It was a very good deal anyway so I bought the little guy and brought it home, no problemo.

The boat is in overall good condition but the antique 15hp Evinrude with pressurized fuel tank system has GOT to go! Since I'd expected a larger boat, I'd been looking at engines closer to 120 -140hp but the max rating for the Kingfisher is 50hp.

I'm currently researching availability and pricing used motors and found a running Bearcat 55 locally for cheap. The weight for the short shaft version of that old 4-stroke motor is 239 lbs. But I don't know what a more modern 2-stroke weighs on average either.

Anyway, hello again all and it's GOOD to be back!

Links and recommendations for motor options will be much appreciated, including the Bearcat.

Thanks!

82rude

Rear Admiral
my 60 etec weights in at 240 lbs.that bearcat would be nice.on line somewhere theres a test between a modern 4 stoke 50? merc and a 55 bearcat.know what ?the numbers were so close it was stunning.gph,speed etc were all so close.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I did some more research last night and it seems that the Bearcat is about the same weight, if not a little lighter, than many modern four-stroke engines in that size range. Pretty neat. That being said, it's still 50-60 pounds heavier than a more modern two-stroke of the same horsepower, even as far back as the 1980s.

Am reluctant to add the heavier Bearcat motor but if it actually runs and I get it for a song, it might be worth it, ya think? Maybe?

I am continuing my research for alternatives.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the link. Interesting for sure.

But I passed on the Bearcat. The owner originally said it was running but I pressed for details today and was told "it was running when we got it" but now it needs a distributor cap and freeze plugs and isn't working. I have no interest and little ability in trying to deal with stuff like that due to medical reasons. So I'm looking around for other options now.

Sure is good to be a boat owner again! Spent a few minutes just gawking at the boat this evening. :D