When does a boat become a....

Fun Times

Staff member
When you can no longer fish out of it with a rod and reel, it becomes a ship.:D:fish2:

Boat
A small vessel propelled on water by oars, sails, or an engine.
"a fishing boat"

Vessel
A ship or large boat.

Ship
A vessel larger than a boat for transporting people or goods by sea.

Yacht
A medium-sized sailboat equipped for cruising or racing.
A powered boat or small ship equipped for cruising, typically for private or official use.

Ships can usually be distinguished from boats based on size and the ship's ability to operate independently for extended periods. A commonly used rule of thumb is that if one vessel can carry another, the larger of the two is a ship. Dinghies are carried on sailing yachts as small as 35 feet (10.67 m), clearly not ships; this rule of thumb is not foolproof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship

dwco5051

Commander
When you can no longer fish out of it with a rod and reel, it becomes a ship.:D:fish2:

Boat
A small vessel propelled on water by oars, sails, or an engine.
"a fishing boat"

Vessel
A ship or large boat.

Ship
A vessel larger than a boat for transporting people or goods by sea.

Yacht
A medium-sized sailboat equipped for cruising or racing.
A powered boat or small ship equipped for cruising, typically for private or official use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship

Submarines are called "boats" except in official documents. There are many theories why this name is used, pick the one that seems to make the most sense

Great Lakes freighters are commonly referred to as boats. Probably because lake boats were manned in the beginning by Mid-western farms boys who wanted to go to sea. A lot of terms that most mariners used were not common usage to a young lad from Wisconsin years ago. One that comes to mind is calling the rails a fence.

Pusher boats (tow boats) and steamboats on the rivers are called boats for the same reasons I think as Lake boats.

Some on this list who have had as many birthdays as I have can remember when navigation rules were divided into Inland Rules, Great Lakes Rules, and Western Rivers Rules. One of the reasons for this was the differences in terms generally used.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
It's situational:

When paying taxes, registration or moorage, it's just a little boat.
When trying to sound as though I'm an expert mariner and know it all, it's a vessel.
When trying to tell others how seaworthy and stout she is and how expertly I maintain her, it's a ship.
Whey trying to pick up chicks, it's a yacht.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
When your repairs are more than busting out another thousand

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
It's situational:

When paying taxes, registration or moorage, it's just a little boat.
When trying to sound as though I'm an expert mariner and know it all, it's a vessel.
When trying to tell others how seaworthy and stout she is and how expertly I maintain her, it's a ship.
Whey trying to pick up chicks, it's a yacht.

That make perfect sense to me and makes me feel better...

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
You can put a boat on a ship... you can't put a ship on a boat.