New car for the BOSS

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Wife just went and bought herself a new 2015 KIA Optima and I like it. She traded her 2009 Kia Rio which I have to say was a great little car. She had 105000 mi. on the Rio and it still had the original brakes and exhaust on it. So we had no complaints with that one.

She had wanted an Optima since she bought the Rio but at the time it was more than was in the budget. So now she has the car she wanted and is a very happy camper. Now we will see if the Optima is as reliable and well built as the Rio was.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I've got no complaints about the 2012 Kia Sorento i got the Admiral on NewYears eve. 16K when we got it. 24K now.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If I didn't need a truck I think I'd be looking to buy a Forte for myself.

southkogs

Staff member
Kia's design team has really come alive in the last few years. I'm still hooked on Detroit Iron, but I've gotta' give it to Kia that they've made some huge headway.

Hope the Admiral enjoys the new wheels.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Oh she is for sure. She told me the 1st day she drove it to work she had a little problem. She back into her parking space everyday and told me she normally zips right in but with the new bigger car it took her 3 tries to back in. I tried hard not to laugh out loud. I drove it for the 1st time and found it very comfortable and responsive.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Must be that time of year when the wives get the itch for a new ride. Mine just bought a Chrysler 200S, the hotrod of the 200s......... She loves it. Daughter is getting the Charger that the wife had.....

Twidget

Commander
My dyed in the wool Chevy neighbor went over to Kia a few years ago and loves them. The Optima is a good looking car.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I used to be a Chevy guy until I bought a new 2000 Malibu. I now drive a 2004 GMC Canyon that I bought with 60k mi on it. Little brother id a die hard Chrysler guy.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We just got my wife another Honda Pilot. The first we bought certified pre-owned and had it for 7 1/2 years. It had 177,640 miles on it when we traded. We bought new this time since the price differential between new/used was pretty small. If anybody is looking for an SUV in this class, they're great. My wife's vehicle leads a hard life. Don't ask. Just trust me. But the Pilot we just traded was the best car we've had in 35 years of marriage.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I wonder if your Kia Rio had stainless exhaust? I haven't had an exhaust system rust or even need maintenance since they went to the stainless exhaust systems. Before that, here in MN, they would rust down pretty quickly.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I wonder if your Kia Rio had stainless exhaust? I haven't had an exhaust system rust or even need maintenance since they went to the stainless exhaust systems. Before that, here in MN, they would rust down pretty quickly.

That I couldn't answer but have to agree that even here is Wisconsin seemed I was always replacing exhaust parts.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Please to hear your comments. I am currently cautious of the Korean cars. We need 2 new vehicles soon and don't know what to get next.

Kia have introduced a 7 year factory warranty here, so wife is wondering a Kia Sorento, but they are expensive.

She has an 08 Captiva (GM - Dawoo?) from new.
Last year the Turbo (Diesel), and control unit for airbags failed - big money.
Now the reversing camera and ABS/traction control have intermittent problems.
They also want it serviced every 6 months which I think is a 'have'.

Not sure what to do.

Cheers
Phillip

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The Kia RIO we traded had 106000mi on it. Still had original exhaust and brakes. At 100,000mi check the Kia dealer mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with it other than it was ready for brake work. 6years old, parked outside in the weather and not a spot of rust on it anywhere. I am more than impressed with Kia.

aspeck

Staff member
We had a couple of Kia's at our mission in Ghana, West Africa. They were cheaper than everything else and decent transportation. We got almost 100K out of them in the heat and dust of Ghana. But the fits and finishes were definitely "cheap" and light weight compared to the GM vehicles I am used to. They served their purpose, but the time came to replace them and we "moved up" to Mitsubishi ... a Pajero Sport (not available in the US) and an L100 Pick-up. So far so good ... If I could handle a Ford, I would have bought the one from Penn State Salvage ... a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid with 58,000 miles could have been had for $6300! Just can't handle a Ford ... too many years of GM loyalty.