I just figured out, why I do my own work!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
With being as stove up as I am, I tentatively started taking some things to the shop last summer to be worked on, and just now figured out why I had refused to do this most of my life! I took my 9.8hp Mercury in and had the lower unit oil changed last summer, put one trip to the lake on it and figured I would change it again, before selling it this season. Well I crack the lower drain plug, low and behold, a small amount of water comes out, followed by a small amount of milky ugly oil, a very small amount. So I start checking to see what is going on, well there are no gaskets or o rings on the plugs!. Who ever the shop had change the oil, didn't replace the gaskets! Man.

:frusty:

nwcove

Admiral
....i'd rather screw something up on my own rather than pay someone to screw it up for me.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IMO that is SOP for some shops when changing lower unit oil. Heard numerous similar complaints.

Hope ya caught it early enough.

robert graham

Admiral
If it was saltwater then maybe not so good....freshwater and maybe/hopefully you can just flush the lower unit and replace the oil.....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well fortunately, the closest salt water is over 700 miles away, and it is just cold rocky mountain water, but it is still very irritating.

Things just don't rust quite so fast in this cold clear water.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MTB some times when I see the folks working on most anything in the "pro" shops, I get discouraged and just do the work myself.

Tnstratofam

Commander
The Admiral is constantly reminding me of all the little things around my shop that need fixing. Her first comment is almost always " Why don't you just take it somewhere, and get *insert item here* fixed". It is then that she remembers the few things we've had fixed by someone else, and how that turned out.:facepalm: Most of the time the repair is just enough to get the item going again which usually lasts till we get it home. I just don't think people care if things are fixed right.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Glad I live where I do. We have a local shop here I can trust. They have done lots of work for me. On the one or two times there is a problem after the fact they are great and are willing to deal with it. They go over the top when I bring something in. They give the whole unit a visual. If they see something out of the ordinary they give me call about it. Give me advice on how critical it is. Whether or not it need immediate attention, or if it can wait a while.

I even get priority treatment because of the work I have given them over the last few years. I can even get small jobs done around the holidays for free. They call it Xmas gift.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hear ya MTboatguy! That goes for pretty much anything mechanical. You think it's somehow going to save you time and or money, but ends up being just the opposite. As soon as that little voice in my head starts to say "lets just take it to the shop..." I just smack myself in the head with a wrench. Usually works.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So I start checking to see what is going on, well there are no gaskets or o rings on the plugs!. Who ever the shop had change the oil, didn't replace the gaskets! Man.
I bet 90% of people on these forums re use old gaskets o-rings rather than replace them every time like they are supposed to.

When I bought some new o-rings for the Mercury outboard that I own, the shop guy said I was probably one of the few home repair owners that actually do that. He told me you would be amazed how many time they get drives in there that had water in them because the owners didn't know you were supposed to change them every time.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Bruce,

I served in the Middle East and several countries in Africa, I Know how important gaskets are! I was more amazed, there were NO gaskets, who ever changed my oil, didn't figure they needed any gaskets to seal this lower unit back up!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I was just pointing that out in general. Not directing the comment toward you.