Doesn't anybody make a....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I can't find a simple 1 gallon gas can! everybody makes 1 gal 4 oz, 2 gallon 5 oz, I need a simple 1 gallon gas can! arggggggggg.....

:mad2:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MTboatguy, just don't fill the one gallon 4oz to the top. Stop at one gallon... :noidea:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Easier said than done, when you are pouring from a 5 gallon can to a 1 gal, 4 oz can, I ended up using a 20 oz measuring cup I had, that was 6 measuring cups and then 8 oz.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Next time, fill the can, then pour off 3 fingers in a highball glass. :)

Jeep Man

Commander
The reason for this is that they are all made you know where, and as the world is based on the imperial system or the metric system, unless it is American made, your not going to get an American gallon size container. Used to be that we always needed to convert Canadian (imperial) gallons to American whenever we hopped across the border, now we have to convert liters to American. PITA all the way.

bigdee

Commander
Use a sharpie or score a line at the one gallon level. Even the old metal one gallon cans had headspace and held more than a gallon

thumpar

Admiral
Most of the ones I have show markings for the gallons on the side. Look for one of those.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Easier said than done, when you are pouring from a 5 gallon can to a 1 gal, 4 oz can, I ended up using a 20 oz measuring cup I had, that was 6 measuring cups and then 8 oz.

The difference is less than 4 parts in a hundred.
I can't imagine what you are doing that requires a higher precision than that.:confused:
Using an undersize measuring cup 7 times isn't likely to get you closer to the elusive "one gallon exactly" than one fill with the 1 gallon 4 oz can.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You know I actually thought about this thread a few days ago while cutting the lawn. Why, I have no idea. It just hit me at that time. Why not buy a one gallon can of mineral sprits and once empty, you have a one gallon can, or any other one gallon metal can that you can buy in Lowes or HD. :noidea:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks guys, I got everything measured out like I needed and things worked out fine, I have several 1 gallon metal cans with various stuff in them and will keep one once it is empty in case I need to do this again.

nwcove

Admiral
The reason for this is that they are all made you know where, and as the world is based on the imperial system or the metric system, unless it is American made, your not going to get an American gallon size container. Used to be that we always needed to convert Canadian (imperial) gallons to American whenever we hopped across the border, now we have to convert liters to American. PITA all the way.

theres an app for that. lol