Weeds what is it?

MRS

Commander
Ok just replaced lawn with new sod because old lawn was full of this stuff. Now lawn looking good but this stuff is starting to grow on the edges in the dirt, would sure like to get something that will kill it for good before it gets to the lawn again. Just not sure what it is Thanks for any advise on this stuff.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What part of the country are you in, a lot of stuff that we do in my area, we get through the ag dept. through the state University, they will send an intern out, have them look at the situation and make recommendations based on their findings and the climate the we is in.

MRS

Commander
High desert in Southern California, good idea could probably send them a photo bet they will know what it is. I am born raised here in So, Calif. the only thing I would worry about sending them a photo they might tell me it is a rare weed that only grows in my yard so I cannot use my backyard.:drum:
Thanks for the reply seems like the more I pull them the faster they grow back.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I pull them the faster they grow back.

That does not surprise me, often times invasive's will eject their pollens when pulled out and moved around, which is why if they are not treated correctly they will spread easier.

By the looks of what you posted, I would be more inclined to believe parts of the roots are being left in the ground and it is a bed spreading ground cover type weed and the roots of each plant is corrected to the next one, which why it is important to make sure you have something that will kill the whole root system.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Does this stuff have a small purple flower when it blooms? It does not look like creeping charlie to me, the leaves on his plants look like they are smooth edged and shiny, more like a succulent type leaf.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Kind of resembles "dollar weed". Could be some off-spring of it. If pulling it hasn't solved your problem, you need to hit it with "Roundup". Roundup get to the actual root and kill it so it doesn't return...

MRS

Commander
sphelps, that sure looks like it thanks so far only on the dirt edges. That stuff just takes over everything in the yard,,,

MRS

Commander
Does this stuff have a small purple flower when it blooms? It does not look like creeping charlie to me, the leaves on his plants look like they are smooth edged and shiny, more like a succulent type leaf.

Yes it does.

MRS

Commander
WIMUSKY, Wow that is alot of weeds sometimes I feel like I have atleast one of each of those. Here in the Desert the wind blows alittle of everything into the yard.:frusty:

MRS

Commander
I use it to kill weeds in areas I can't use weed killers. Like where small children and pets are.

Thanks will have to give it a try grass is for Grandkids dogs and turbo. That is why I worry about spraying if have to I guess spray only edges but hopefully boiling water will do it Thanks.

bassman284

Commander
Here's something that kind of looks like. Scroll to the 5th pair of pictures, the one on the right. this is plant species of the San Jacinto mountains