A little red truck.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I would love to have you all back, heck a few of our ex partners in crime have become moderators...,but trying to make something the way all of us imagine it once was just does not work. The best we can do is go with a few lines of a seventies pop group called the Strawbs. "Aye me, things aren't what they used to be. Aye my, in times gone by."
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnV_3bqldR0

It might be nice to try and contact all those radical geezers and raise some... Oops we're no longer allowed to say that here

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral
interesting read ! i think the forum needs a " enter at your own risk section" , nothing over the top allowed, but ???? lol

That's what DC use to be. Until it got sanitised. It really was a 'free-for-all'. Nothing barred; guns, politics, religion. Got heated real quick. Plenty of us got 'sin-binned' in the process. I remember sitting out for 2 weeks when JB (RIP) bought the hammer down on me. Ahhh, those were the days... :rolleyes: I remember more than once getting up out of my chair seriously steamed at some drongo or other...

Mods were asked to 'clean it up' quite a long time ago. Now we have forum guidelines on subjects considered taboo ^^^ and we guide the topic around to a less controversial tone. Not that we can't reminisce.... :D :D

Chris.....

hate to quote myself, but seeing the long term members leaving, mostly because of the upgrade issues, the site does need a place for " guy talk" within reason, just to make it more than a source of info, time to add some character(s) jmo ( if you dont like my comment, ask your local politician and law enforcement agency for permission to confess your dislike to a priest??) ....MODS!!! lol

aspeck

Staff member
Nwcove, we will absolve you of this sin, but remember, we don't allow bashing of another member (especially the mod squad) :)

That said, there are days I fondly remember the old banter. Then there are days I remember how high my BP would get. Would love to see a middle road struck, but unfortunately there are always a pirate or two that wants to stretch the envelop till it rips. Because of this, the easiest way to deal with it is just say "NO." And the problem with a free-for-all area is that someone's feelings will still be hurt. And that doesn't help iboats sales. That is the bottom line, this forum exists in its "free" state as an income and traffic generator to the iboats store. So, as a business, what are you going to allow and what are you going to disallow. Always a tough decision.

After saying all that, I would love an "Old iboats Family Reunion" again! Looking back at some of Technostingray, aka Technostupeedo,, aka Castaway Ray brought back some good, and a few not so good, memories.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Nwcove, we will absolve you of this sin, but remember, we don't allow bashing of another member (especially the mod squad) :)

That said, there are days I fondly remember the old banter. Then there are days I remember how high my BP would get. Would love to see a middle road struck, but unfortunately there are always a pirate or two that wants to stretch the envelop till it rips. Because of this, the easiest way to deal with it is just say "NO." And the problem with a free-for-all area is that someone's feelings will still be hurt. And that doesn't help iboats sales. That is the bottom line, this forum exists in its "free" state as an income and traffic generator to the iboats store. So, as a business, what are you going to allow and what are you going to disallow. Always a tough decision.

After saying all that, I would love an "Old iboats Family Reunion" again! Looking back at some of Technostingray, aka Technostupeedo,, aka Castaway Ray brought back some good, and a few not so good, memories.

Very well put, 'Speck. If we had a "guys have at it"(NASCAR term) section, within the first day someone would take it too far, feelings would get hurt, insults would fly and Topics would be shut down. We already have DC to talk about just about anything, excluding politics, religion etc. Why are those Topics banned? Because everyone is extremely passionate about "their side". I think we have a good balance the way it is now.....

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
If you want BS and boating, there is THT....

I use the hull truth for technical help. However their dockside talk, is mostly "the bilge talk" with people in there who almost exclusively try to trash talk each other purely for the sake of being rude and unpleasant. In iboats dockside chat there was controversy but never anything that went down to that level.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh the tht bilge takes things to a whole 'nother level.

and honestly I get much better help here than on tht.

aspeck

Staff member
FWIW, in conversing with Techno recently, I learned that Techno was NOT Castaway Ray. Who would have thunk it?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Boomyall a whole bunch of us left when it just got to be if you didnt think exactly like a couple of the mods you just got crap all the time. It wasnt fun anymore. Gauge Guy, Strat, OMC, Kenneth Brown, Tylerin, Kelton Crew, Scrapper RIP, and a handful of others kept in touch on a page dedicated to Lester AKA Spinnerbaitnut. Wouldnt it raise some eyebrows if that crew of pirates showed up here. I havent been here in a long time. Dont know why but the other day I came here and Saw Little red truck. Remember "Anchor on the ramp " Lol.

Add to the list Rubber Frog aka Latex Amphbian, Reel Poor, and Scaaty to mention a few more. Does any one remember Riv and his "deal" with high end boat manufacture to replace his boat in exchange for him ending and deleting his thread here on iboats? That thread landed me more the a few PM's from the Mods at that time.

aspeck

Staff member
LT, I can't imagine you getting any MOD attention! HA! Of course I was right there with ya! And don't forget SS Mayfloat to the list!

FLATHEAD

Commander
Art, I never thought it got all that carried away. Maybe a few of the political thread but even then those that dished it out also took thier share. The one problem was that a couple mods had no problem throwing out a thinly vailed jab directed at a member, and then got all offended when the member gave it right back. I saw a lot of that. Good to be king I guess.

Hey who was that kid from Boston that was a hothead. Forget his name.

Art how was your deer season on that end of the state?

aspeck

Staff member
FH, I didn't either, but I wasn't a MOD then, I was a trouble maker! Ha! As Mods we are working on being kinder and gentler, but in the same vain the powers that be don't want the politics, religion, or the real emotional topics to start. Just don't want to chase any away.

The kid with the neighbor with the power washer who had a Boston Whaler, I believe, at 15, his dad had rentals ... That kid? Drawing a blank on the name...I would blame it on age, but I have always been horrible with names.

As for deer, saw a lot more this year than past years. Our group killed a spike and a 7 point and a few does. We had a VERY successful Colorado hunt, so the freezers were full and our attention was on 2 13 year old girls getting shots.

FLATHEAD

Commander
Art I know you were not a mod then and I remember your hand getting slapped a time or two. I look at it this way. Back in the day this section would have hundreds of post per day and many , many new topics per day. Lots of people here and a lot of them did buisness with Iboats. After the purge this place is all but dead. I just am not seeing where the squeeky clean style is bringing people to the site. Seems to have chased more away. Ah, but enough with beating that horse.

That was the kid. Our deer season was decent. We dont shoot does anymore. The 5 C regs are wiping them out. I managed a nice 8 with the bow in Nov.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
I also miss Lady Fish and the Drunk'n Pirate she claimed as her other half. Even being a Mod she took issue with some of the other Mods actions. Anyway, I wonder how retirement is treating them?

aspeck

Staff member
When she retired and she and the drunken pirate started moving around the country in their camper with home base being a cabin on a remote lake, I lost touch. Her blog went dark, the emails quit working ... Had a great visit with LF and the pirate before their retirement. Glad I got to meet them personally.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Yah Art, I spoke with her a few times between the last hurricane, home sale and their retirement. Lost touch after they went mobile.