What a storm last night.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
After all these years I have to say that last night was the 1st time that I ever feared a storm. I normally enjoy watching the light show during a lightening storm but not this time. We had the storm cell pass right pass us, very fortunate that there was no tornado with it. We did get some good size hail. The storm has passed now but the winds have picked up and it's blowing everything around.

Thoughts and best wished for those people down in Illinois! There were a couple of reports that that tornado was on the ground for over an hour.

I know what you mean Captain. I live in Melbourne Florida East Central near Cape Kennedy Space Station. I have been here for a couple of hurricanes and it scares me to sit in the house waiting for the roof to blow off. seems like our storms are getting worse with each new year. Stay safe and God Bless you and your family. Paul Zarpaylic

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Saw some vids on FB of tornados from yesterday. Fascinating and scary at the same time. Wouldn't be very fascinating if it was on top of me......

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Sure wasn't a lot of fun. About 7pm last night the NBC channel out of Chicago had uninterrupted coverage and we had sirens blowing all night. So I was able to watch it moving in and track it. then about 9:45 pm we had sirens going off about every 5 minutes for about 1/2 hour. Also have a brother and daughter that were also right in the storm path.
The scariest part of this storm with the tornado is that it just didn't want to quit! It traveled a long way.

64osby

Admiral
I'm on the East side of the lake. The storms lost intensity before they made it here thankfully. We had hard rain and strong winds but nothing circular.

The Weather channel had some intense videos.

Glad you weathered the storm bd.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Some weird weather we're having here. Yesterday afternoon I was out working on an outboard engine. The sun was shining and about 60 deg when a big black cloud rolled over and the temp dropped and so did the hail. Lasted about 10 minutes and then the sun was back out. Pretty wild!

bassman284

Commander
If you stay with it for a couple of minutes, this link will show you the tornado that hit the Rochelle, IL area. What a monster. We had some hit in eastern Iowa that day but it appears they just dropped in to gather energy before heading to Illinois.

Tornadoes are just plain scary, not just because of the power but because until you actually see it coming, you don't know where it's going to go. And until it moves past you, you're not sure how big it's going to be.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
They now say it was a EF4 tornado with winds around 200MPH. Fairdale Illinois is about 30 miles west of me.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That same cell is the one that passed over us here. Looked like it started to run out of steam just after it passed Woodstock Illinois which is about 20 mi. SW of me. Then after it passed us it fell apart rather quickly.