Cataract Surgery...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm sure this is old news to many of you, but cataract surgery is AMAZING...! In about ten minutes on the table (heavily sedated and unaware of the activity) I recovered the vision I had thirty or so years ago.

My left eye had begun to fog up about nine months ago - just a nuisance when driving at night or looking into a bright scene. But it deteriorated quickly, until four weeks ago it was like looking at the world through a gin bottle. My right eye had simultaneously developed a slight double vision, blurring everything I looked at, although it hadn't fogged noticeably.

I had the surgery - left eye about three weeks ago and right about two weeks ago. All I can say is, wow! Each time, I came out of the operating room, recovered from the sedation, and realized I could see with the affected eye. I mean really see! Bright, with colors like that eye hadn't seen them in decades.

Now I'm typing this without glasses, and can see distance very well. No glasses for that either. This may change somewhat in the next month or two, and require correction to maintain optimal vision. But my experience (preceded by that of several of my friends, who all said similar things) has been nothing short of wonderful.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's been about 3 years for me. After the first eye was done and I closed the newly good eye and alternated back and forth, I decided I was blind. No glasses needed since and I can safely drive at night again. It does come on slowly until you realize you don't see well anymore.

RGrew176

Commander
That is something I am facing myself. They have been monitoring my situation. I'm due to go to the optometrist next month for my annual checkup. My vision in my right eye has started to blur too. I have not noticed any cloudiness yet but the blurred vision is a yes.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know that is coming for me down the road as well, but presently it hasn't effected my vision to the point to need surgery...yet! However, back about 7 or 8 years ago or longer I did have Lasik to one eye and immediately was night and day vision improvement. I was better then 20/20 within seconds of the surgery. Amazing and exciting too... Last year my wife had to have one of her eyes with cataracts corrected and the cataract removed. Again amazing vision improvement. So don't live with such easily fixable issues. There is a lot to see out there and worries about somebody working on your eyes is silly. This is modern technology now and done daily all over the country... Go for it! :thumb:

NYBo

Admiral
Yeah, this old fart will be facing this in a few years. Glad the surgery has come so far.

ehenry

Commander
I'm actually in the process of getting this proceedure scheduled and done. They will do my left eye first and then my right eye at some point. I"ve been basically blind in my right eye, 20/200, since birth and vision in that eye could not be corrected. There is now a cataract in my right eye as well that the doctors cannot see through and they say it can stay or come out. Their concern is that I may bave double vision after removing the cataract in the right eye.

Going to definately have the left eye done as soon as it can be shceduled. Everyone i've talked to thats had it done say there's nothing to it and wished theyed had it done sooner.

ezbtr

Commander
had my right eye done 18 mos ago, saw 20/20 next day, 20 mins maybe surgery , got the more expensive($1200) lens, love it :)