Too old to do stuff

bassman284

Commander
and yet I hate to pay someone else to do it. Anyone else in this boat? Simple jobs I used to be able to do for myself are now pretty much out of the question. Too gimpy. I went to the marina this afternoon and got set up to have a new Humminbird installed and a new wiring harness in the trailer. Right now I'm thinking I should have had them repack my bearings as well but I guess I'm not quite ready to admit I really can't do that anymore either.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
All I can say, is welcome to the club, I don't know that I am to old to do somethings, or that I have smartened up enough to go ahead and pay someone else to do it.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Welcome to the stone age.

fetch

NYBo

Admiral
Getting there myself regarding some vehicle repairs. Especially during the winter.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If you don't use it, you'll lose it...... Just need to be smart on what to do and what to walk away from......

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
No Title

here you go wimusky. sorry about that 1st try, wanted to watch the games....senior moment ...:confused:

Attachments

• photo217632.jpg
    photo217632.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can see that viscous aging curve setting in as well. I still do most everything, but I have started weighing the cost to pay somebody to the aches it will cost me to do it myself. So far I suffer through most everything and take the next morning aches and wonder whether it was really worth it! :crutch:

There are times I do things and then figured my time has to be worth more then that! :greedy_dollars:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Bassman. Ya, you're not alone. I think old age and disability hit a lot harder for those of us that are DIY'ers and have always done everything themselves. I find that I need to adapt my work methods and my psyche to the realities of life and make the best of it. (I have replaced my many-times-repaired 40-year-old snowblower that I used to have to help/push and guide with a reliable new one that now pulls, guides and supports me. I haven't yet found someone else to clear the driveway, but that day is coming too.)
- Grandad

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
My wife (57yo) has always liked washing her car. This year she started going to a car wash . Her story was that it is environmentally friendly thing to do since they recycle the water. All I said was "Great idea"

Twidget

Commander
I dont want to go there... Things were a lot cheaper when I did them myself. :shocked:

ezbtr

Commander
yeah me too (gimpy), I hate when I have to take my truck to a shop, but still do stuff in garage, minor carpentry, and house fixes :rolleyes:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I am getting ready to see how well I can still do stuff, I have to change the ball joints and steering arms in one of my old Ford trucks, this could be fun!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I am getting ready to see how well I can still do stuff, I have to change the ball joints and steering arms in one of my old Ford trucks, this could be fun!

That's interesting. Just three weeks ago now I rebuilding every part in our '98 Blazer's front end. All the ball joints, A arm bushings, tie rod ends, idler arm, center link, sway bar bushings, Every part in the entire front end with Moog life time replacement parts, and then had it realigned. Good luck with your front end project. It took my son and I about 9 man-hours to do everything... But I have a 20 ton press and that made everything go a little faster as well. Don't know about your setup, but be very careful with compressed suspension springs if you have them.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That's interesting. Just three weeks ago now I rebuilding every part in our '98 Blazer's front end. All the ball joints, A arm bushings, tie rod ends, idler arm, center link, sway bar bushings, Every part in the entire front end with Moog life time replacement parts, and then had it realigned. Good luck with your front end project. It took my son and I about 9 man-hours to do everything... But I have a 20 ton press and that made everything go a little faster as well. Don't know about your setup, but be very careful with compressed suspension springs if you have them.

Fortunately, this is a Heavy Duty Ford 3/4 ton with leaf spring suspension in the front, so nothing under compression to really worry about, I don't have a press, but I do have all of the tools to do it, I had to do it on one of my other trucks a couple of years ago, so have done it before. The biggest difficulty with taking these rigs apart around here is all of the darn rust from the road treatment systems they use in the winter, it is a real pain in the rear.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Fortunately, this is a Heavy Duty Ford 3/4 ton with leaf spring suspension in the front, so nothing under compression to really worry about, I don't have a press, but I do have all of the tools to do it, I had to do it on one of my other trucks a couple of years ago, so have done it before. The biggest difficulty with taking these rigs apart around here is all of the darn rust from the road treatment systems they use in the winter, it is a real pain in the rear.

Sounds like you have a workable plan. I can't even imagine the rust from the road salts and stuff used during winter snows and such. I wish you great luck and speed though. Some folks that haven never ever done such projects, just don't know what it takes to do that type project. But then think of the huge money you save doing it yourself... Labor hour rates these days can easily double or triple or more the total cost of such projects. Parts are the cheapest cost! :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well I just received confirmation that my disability has been approved. Not ready to mentally retire, not ready to financially retire but certainly ready to physically retire. Because of my physical condition I been through 3 different jobs in the past 12 months. Now to see what the future holds!

bassman284

Commander
Not sure I was ever young enough to mess around with ball joints.