Nascar - Race #6 - Martinsville

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's time for the first 2015 race at Martinsville this week. We have Cup racing and Trucks are running for the first time in weeks. This is the last Truck race until May 8th, so they're taking April off. :eek: The famed "Paperclip" has no X-Men race, next race is Texas following the Easter break for everybody.

There are 46 entries for the 43 race spots, so 3 will watch from the stands. Chase Elliott will make his 1st Cup attempt in the #25, edging ever closer to a ride in the #24.

The Saturday Truck race is the Kroger 250 and Cup is the STP 500 on Sunday, The schedule from MRN;
xxx
Date
Event
Time
Radio/TV
FRI 3/27​
Camping World Truck Series Practice​
10:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.​
[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
Sprint Cup Series Practice​
12:00 p.m. - 1:25 p.m.​
MRN/[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
Camping World Truck Series Practice​
1:30 p.m. - 2:25 p.m.​
[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
Camping World Truck Series Final Practice​
3:00 p.m. - 4:25 p.m.​
[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
Sprint Cup Series Qualifying​
4:45 p.m.​
MRN/[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD] (4:30)​
SAT 3/28​
Sprint Cup Series Practice​
10:00 a.m. - 10:55 a.m.​
MRN/[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
Camping World Truck Series Qualifying​
11:15 a.m.​
[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
Sprint Cup Series Final Practice​
1:00 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.​
MRN/[BOLD]FS2[/BOLD]​
Radio Pre-Race​
2:00 p.m.​
[BOLD]FS1 (MRN?)[/BOLD]​
TV Pre-Race​
2:00 p.m.​
[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
Camping World Truck Series Kroger 250
2:30 p.m.​
MRN/[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
Green Flag​
2:46 p.m.​
MRN/[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
SUN 3/29​
Radio Pre-Race​
12:00 p.m.​
MRN​
TV Pre-Race​
11:30 a.m.​
[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
Sprint Cup Series STP 500
1:00 p.m.​
MRN/[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​
Green Flag​
1:13 p.m.​
MRN/[BOLD]FS1[/BOLD]​

Here's my Sunday race schedule. :mad:
xxx

NEWS & NOTES
  • The Cup race will not be on broadcast TV, only on Fox Sucky1.
  • Interesting Fontana number from Jayski's - Total race broadcast time 151 minutes, total commercial broadcast time 49 Minutes. One third of the race was commercials, last year one quarter of the race was commercials, 162 minutes vs 44 commercial minutes. I wonder why the races have seemed dull and boring this year?
  • Safety - Additional tire barriers are being added around Martinsville. Talladega and Indy are adding more SAFER barriers
  • Daytona is removing the backstretch grandstand seating which will result in 101,000 seats for next years D500. Also coming down is the Sprint Cup Tower, a fixture from back in the Winston Cup days.
  • Two qualifying changes - Group qualifying will have 5 minutes added to the first session at short and intermediate tracks for all 3 series. It looks like qualifying for restrictor-plate tracks will return to single car, just like the old days. If it happens, we should see it at 'Dega. Good thing because group Q-ing doesn't work on 2,5 mile tracks.
  • Nascar is cutting back on the number of tire sets allowable per race starting this week in a move to save teams money since they cut the Cup purses, I guess.
  • Slugger Labbe, crew chief for the #33, Brian Scott, has been fined $50K, suspended for 3 races and placed on probation 'til the end of the year. Aluminum suspension pieces were substituted for approved steel pieces. :nono:
  • Finally - You know you always wanted to do it and know you can do a better job. Now, here's your chance - http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/3/24/8282897/nascar-team-for-sale-vision-racing-xfinity-series. We could take up a collection for the iboats X-Men Racing Team. Oops, I'm setting a poor example by breaking rules. :peep: On my way to the chalkboard to start writing.

iboats Fantasy Live

Should we start calling this the QC Gong Show because he's been gonging us? :rant: He has been cleaning up with 3 :first:s in a row and is on top of the overall leader board, too. Can we play, QC? :sour:

Congrats and hope one of us can give you a run. :D

Humpy_Boater

GA_Boater

Cup qualifying is finally over after the day's activities had a 2 hour rain delay, Weather-wise, the rest of the weekend looks chilly, but no more rain.

Logano is on the pole, followed by Newman, Truex Jr., Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, Larson, Kenseth, Kahne, Allmedinger, Edwards and Keselowski.

Y'all enjoy watching the race on FS1 while I watch infomercials on my local Fox affiliate. :mad:

aspeck

Staff member
Hey GA, you are welcome to come watch it at my house ... Bring some snacks.

GA_Boater

A kind offer, aspeck. I'll probably munch all the snacks on the way up. Or turn right and watch it from the track. :D

64osby

Admiral
GA stop complaining and GO BOATING! :D

I would but it is 32 degrees again, low of 14 last night.:blue:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I read an article yesterday that lots of tire fixing is being accused right now, by a lot of the big name drivers, so something is going on.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Just turned to FS1 in time to see the winner, Logano, give his victory speech..

64osby

Admiral
He made an awesome pass on the GWC restart went from 3rd to 1st on the first corner.

GA_Boater

I read an article yesterday that lots of tire fixing is being accused right now, by a lot of the big name drivers, so something is going on.

I just ran across this - Hamlin doesn't like shifters and now he wants to ban tire cheaters. I hope Dave Rogers isn't caught drilling itsy-bitsy holes in tires. :Dhttp://nascartalk.nbcsports.com/201...time-ban-for-those-caught-with-illegal-tires/

Just turned to FS1 in time to see the winner, Logano, give his victory speech..

64osby

Admiral
  • Interesting Fontana number from Jayski's - Total race broadcast time 151 minutes, total commercial broadcast time 49 Minutes. One third of the race was commercials, last year one quarter of the race was commercials, 162 minutes vs 44 commercial minutes. I wonder why the races have seemed dull and boring this year?
Posted by GA

This is why I try to record the races. I can watch at my leisure, FF through the commercials or when Mikey gets on a roll, pause when the Admiral beckons, the kids need attention or the dog need to run. Rewind when needed and still catch all the action.

All the safety designs and regs are turning Sprint Cup into a safer sport that is less exciting to watch. The pit stops might be the most exciting part of the race.

GA_Boater

Posted by GA

This is why I try to record the races. I can watch at my leisure, FF through the commercials or when Mikey gets on a roll, pause when the Admiral beckons, the kids need attention or the dog need to run. Rewind when needed and still catch all the action.

All the safety designs and regs are turning Sprint Cup into a safer sport that is less exciting to watch. The pit stops might be the most exciting part of the race.

Nascar is doing it's best to make pit stops exciting. With all the penalties for speeding, over the wall gang and loose tires - Not to mention slow stops, races are being lost in the pits.

I will allow it.

Hmmmmm. What to do? Martinsville could cough up an underdog. I am so not sure what to do this week.

You could give up Busch and Harvick, QC. Nothing but losers,week and week out. :lol:

BTW - Did anyone see that Larson collapsed while doing autographs after Happy Hour. He's only 22. He saw a neurologist, but no word if Nascar has cleared him to race. Since I have him on my roster, what to do?

64osby

Admiral
I had adjusted my team and went back to look at it. The FL site is locked up and it didn't take my changes.

It also shows 69 laps complete? I'm in 12th place and Logano DNQ?

FlaCowboy

Ensign
I will allow it.

Hmmmmm. What to do? Martinsville could cough up an underdog. I am so not sure what to do this week.

Yep...this is one of those races where a caution flag can split the field with half of them pitting and the other half staying out for track position :eek: