IRS wants THEIR Billion back . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
Well the Admiral called me on my way home from work today all upset. It seems that we got a demand letter from the IRS for taxes owed . . . happened to be related to a 529 account from a couple of years ago.

After an hour on hold and then talking with the IRS, they said that we did not file anything wrong and did not owe them anything after all, and were closing the case and will send us a confirmation, etc. After discussing with the Admiral when I got home, we both feel like they are 'phishing' for money from people who had/have 529 college savings accounts. :noidea:

Perhaps . . . .

jkust

Rear Admiral
Last year we had received a pretty threatening letter from the IRS...not demanding but threatening though it was a first contact letter. It was related to quarterly taxes they for whatever reason thought we didn't pay. After some time on the phone, they realized their error and actually apologized. What surprised me is that they keep track throughout the year as it was after tax season was over and related to the then current year.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I read an article a few days ago in one of the finance columns that said, the IRS is getting bombarded by so many fraud schemes these days that they cannot effectively even look at legitimate tax issues now, even our state tax dept is have real difficulty in keep up with legitimate issues now, in the first 2 months of this year, they say they have already denied 529 refund requests as fraud and they expect hundreds more before this year is done.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am reminded of Will Rodgers.

Mod EDIT - We aren't going there, no matter who said it or when. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - A touchy subject. Please be careful. Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just a warning folks, I (we, wifey and I) receive a voice mail about two days ago now, that stated we had some very serious tax allegations about our taxes (which we haven't even filed yet this year) and that we had to contact them immediately at the number they provided to keep from severe punishments to follow. I took that number and did a reverse lookup and WALA a total scam going on all across the country with the same warnings and number. So be careful and don't think because someone calls you and tell you they are the IRS that it's true and give them your personal SS numbers and such... For starters, the IRS will NEVER ever call you about tax issues. You will get a certified letter in the mail if they want to contact you! Sad to see and hear about so many folks that scam other people out of their money these days... SMH!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is just the benefits of living in a connected world, on the good side, we have websites, like this where people across the world get to be friends, friends we would never even have thought of, downside, there are a lot of very smart people out their using their brain power for things not so above board, just pays to be careful and prudent.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Just a warning folks, I (we, wifey and I) receive a voice mail about two days ago now, that stated we had some very serious tax allegations about our taxes (which we haven't even filed yet this year) and that we had to contact them immediately at the number they provided to keep from severe punishments to follow. I took that number and did a reverse lookup and WALA a total scam going on all across the country with the same warnings and number. So be careful and don't think because someone calls you and tell you they are the IRS that it's true and give them your personal SS numbers and such... For starters, the IRS will NEVER ever call you about tax issues. You will get a certified letter in the mail if they want to contact you! Sad to see and hear about so many folks that scam other people out of their money these days... SMH!

I remember that being on the news.......

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I remember that being on the news.......

I get these calls every once in a while, and I just ask them for their identification information, such as ID number, division or unit number, station number in the IRS system, main chief in charge of their unit, then I let them know I will have one of my buddies who still works in computer security at the Pentagon check on their credentials, then if they are verified, I will call their unit chief and discuss the issue with him/her. They normally hang up real quick! The last few years of my stint in the Army, I was stationed at the Pentagon and made a whole bunch of friends!

:D

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, crazy stuff going on these days. I also happened to meet with my 'Tax Guy' today and mentioned the IRS thing. He said that they are getting bombarded with Identify Theft related issues and such. He suspected that they were just seeing who would 'bite' on the 529 thing.

As for those fraudulent phone calls . . . we got one similar a couple of months back from someone claiming to be an attorney calling about some sort of civil suit and bad things were going to happen if we did not pay.

I guess the best thing to do is keep your poker face on at all times, no matter what . . . :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The beauty of caller-id. If I don't recognize the number or caller, they can leave a message...... Funny how it usually never happens......

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just another reason the whole tax code should be replaced with something more fair and simpler .
But the crooks would still find a way scam people even if it was replaced ..

TexMonty

Seaman
There certainly are scams, but also don't believe the IRS just cause they say you owe them in a letter. They have tried to hit me twice on 529 contributions - I am like look guys that's post tax money so are you serious? They have also sent me a couple other letters about tax owed that ended up not correct. They always go away. I am always curious if the not so savy people (or people that don't take time to dig into it) pay when they shouldn't.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Tex, unfortunately, a lot of people pay when they shouldn't have to, that is programed into their collections.

64osby

Admiral
I have learned over the years that with regards to the IRS you are guilty until proven innocent. Very backwards from the rest of our legal system.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have learned over the years that with regards to the IRS you are guilty until proven innocent. Very backwards from the rest of our legal system.

Oh I don't know, that seems to fall in line with the rest of our legal system. Guilty until proven innocent..........

FYI. We're right at that line and about to step over it which would get this closed. I'm walking that line too.......

Last edited: