Tire manufafture date. Should I be complaining.

Tyme2fish

Commander
I replaced the tires on my trailer strictly because of their age, eleven years. Yeah, I know that's too old to trust. Tread was still good, etc but I ordered new tires from local shop. I mentioned the date of the "new" tires and the clerk repsonded with, "I had that same issue with a customer yesterday. His are dated January 2015."

I took the wheels off my trailer and took them to the shop. When I picked them I asked about the date of the new tires. 2114 was the code. That means they were manufactured in May of 2014 or almost a year ago.

Question: Should I be upset? What would you do?

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would not worry, it all comes down to how they were stored, when it comes to tires, date don't matter, UV exposure does, if they were storing properly, then you could have purchased a set put up in the 60's and you would be fine.

alldodge

Staff member
I replaced the tires on my trailer strictly because of their age, eleven years. Yeah, I know that's too old to trust. Tread was still good, etc but I ordered new tires from local shop. I mentioned the date of the "new" tires and the clerk repsonded with, "I had that same issue with a customer yesterday. His are dated January 2015."

I took the wheels off my trailer and took them to the shop. When I picked them I asked about the date of the new tires. 2114 was the code. That means they were manufactured in May of 2014 or almost a year ago.

Question: Should I be upset? What would you do?

One year would not bother me, a good two years would