F1 season starts!

bassman284

Commander
First race of the season starts in about a half hour at Albert Park in Melbourne, AU. I'm really missing JB right now, he was a major Formula 1 fan so all I can do is raise a toddy in a toast. Here's to you JB, enjoy the race ol' bud.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the heads up. I knew the season was starting soon. On at 6:00 am here. Curious to see how Vettel and his new team make out this season.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I used to watch F1 all the time. May have to get back into it and NASCAR Trucks!

bassman284

Commander
Bizarre turn of events. I don't believe I've ever seen TWO cars break on the surveillance lap. Very interesting weekend what with lawsuits and reliability problems. Some of the cars are definitely not ready for prime time. We'll see what they can do in the next two weeks.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I caught a couple of minutes of the E race yesterday, it is pretty amazing how fast they go on batteries.

bassman284

Commander
I caught a couple of minutes of the E race yesterday, it is pretty amazing how fast they go on batteries.

Did you watch them "refuel"? About halfway through the race they pull into the garage, jump into another car and take off to the finish.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I Saw that in the race I watched last season, I was trying to figure out what the heck they were doing...

bassman284

Commander
Since it would take to long to change batteries, they just change cars. If you're going to take a long trip in your electric car just have a few spare cars staged along the way.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
They have the technology that can charge them while they are driving, it amazes me, nobody has brought it back to the market, the Zero Car, had the ability to recharge while it was driving down the road.

bassman284

Commander
Yeah but recharge how? Did they have an internal combustion engine to charge batteries?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You don't have to have an internal combustion engine to charge a batter, you have 4 rolling points on electric wheels, that you can actually attach small high output generators to, that is what we used to charge car batteries with, my first car had a Generator, not and Alternator. Anytime you have a rotating mass, such as a generator in a Dam, you can generate electricity and it can be stored if it is DC. Would not be difficult, the efficiency of these little high output generators is amazing. Coupled with a small regulator, you would have a car that could drive just about anywhere.

Last edited: