Nascar Race #4 - CampingWorld.com 500 at Phoenix

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well boys and girls, we're at Phoenix for the festivities. The CampingWorld.com 500 (KM) will be run on Sunday with the XFINITY Axalta Faster, Tougher, Brighter 200 on Saturday. Where do they come up with these names?

One more thought - With CampingWorld sponsoring the Cup race, where is the CampingWotld Truck series? Oh, they don't run for another two weeks. Nascar - you pay your race scheduler too much! :facepalm:

The entry list has 45 names listed, so 2 will not make the race. A side note - Reed Sorenson was the 46th entry, but he and his team have withdrawn because they have no sponsor and obviously, no money. Here is the weekend schedule from MRN, starting with Cup practice at 3PM tomorrow;

Date
Event
Time
Radio/TV
FRI 3/13​
Sprint Cup Series Practice​
3:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.​
MRN/FS1​
XFINITY Series Practice​
4:30 p.m. - 5:25 p.m.​
FS1​
XFINITY Series Final Practice​
6:00 p.m. - 7:25 p.m.​
FS2​
Sprint Cup Series Qualifying​
7:50 p.m.​
MRN/FS2 (7:30)​
SAT 3/14​
Sprint Cup Series Practice​
11:30 a.m. - 12:25 p.m,​
MRN/FS1​
XFINITY Series Qualifying​
12:45 p.m.​
FS1​
Sprint Cup Series Final Practice​
2:30 p.m. - 3:20 p.m.​
MRN/FS1​
Radio Pre-Race​
3:30 p.m.​
MRN​
TV Pre Race​
FOX​
4:00 p.m.​
MRN/FOX​
Green Flag​
4:16 p.m.​
MRN/FOX​
SUN 3/15​
Radio Pre-Race​
2:30 p.m.​
MRN​
TV Pre-Race​
3:00 p.m.​
FOX​
Sprint Cup Series CampingWorld.com 500
MRN/FOX​
Green Flag​
3:45 p.m.​
MRN/FOX​

News and Extras
  • The big news is the return of Kurt Busch following the lifting of Nascar's indefinite suspension. Chevy has also lifted it's suspension, so KB is a paid Chevy spokesman again. Since Nascar and Busch have been mum on the terms of the agreement to lift the suspension, we can only assume Busch finished writing "I won't be a bad boy anymore" on the blackboard as judged by Bart Simpson, the leading expert in the field.
  • Two teams received punishment for stuff during the Vegas race.
    • Steve Addington, Crew Chief of the #51 team of Allgaier, was fined $25K because ballast fell off of the car during the race.
    • The Crew Chief of the #2, Bad Brad's team, was hit with probation through the end of the year, no fine reported. After pre-race inspection was completed on the #2, the car moved to the pits where Nascar officials saw crew members monkeying with the sheet metal around the rear wheel openings. The car was summoned back to inspection for closer laser scrutineering. The car failed and as a result, Crew Chief Paul Wolfe was placed on probation.
  • ISIS hacked Tont Stewart's Eldora Speedway website, along with some other area based sites. Stewart's response is the best ever - "If there's anybody I'd want mad at me, I guess it would be them," . Way to go, Smoke!
  • Not Nascar related - Jeremy Clarkson, one of the hosts of the popular BBC auto series Top Gear has been suspended and the remaining three shows for this season have been dropped from BBC's schedule. Clarkson allegedly punched one of the show's producers. Wonder if he's too old to drive a Cup car? Might fit in for the post-race "discussions" if Nascar allows them again.

iboats Fantasy Live

Our weekly winner for Las Vegas was QC, The :first: trophy is on an Amazon drone winging (whirring?) it's way to QC's mantle. The overall lead was picked up by Tinknocker. Congrats gentlemen!

Tune up your picks for the CampingWorld 500. Good luck, everyone.

Humpy_Boater

sam60

Captain
It will be a bit warm in Phoenix on Sunday. Track will be slick and some will need to turn right to go left. Should be fun to watch. Downshifting in turn 3 will be interesting for those that choose to.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Phoenix qualifying results;

Harvik has the pole and the rest of the top 12 is Logano , McMurray, Kenseth, Newman, Keselowski, Edward, Busch, Kahne, Gordon, Dillon, and Larson. Going home are Kvapil and Berryhill.

More News
  • John Cohen, Owner of Team Xtreme #44 with Travis Kvapil has an outstanding arrest warrant for a civil court ruling. Will Nascar suspend him? At least there is a warrant.
  • Tony Stewart is spending money. He bought All Star Circuit of Champions, a Outlaw Sprint Car series.
  • Rule change - Starting with Phoenix, any team failing more than two pre-qualifying inspections will be penalized 15 minutes in the next practice session. It will not affect qualifying, only the next practice time allotted.
  • Jeff Gordon met with Nascar about installation of more SAFER barriers. He came out the meeting and said everything is hunky-dory. and he was jumping the gun. Oops!

Opinion

It's time to drop the waiver business for Chase eligibility. Nascar has waived the eligibility requirement for every driver asking for the waiver, which is supposed to be for rare instances. Stewart, Vickers and now Busch, have been waived from the requirement to attempt a full season to be eligible and with Kyle Busch expected to be waived when he returns, has invalidated "rare instances". Nascar's words - "NASCAR, for rare instances, can waive the requirement of attempting to qualify for all of the first 26 races as long as the driver is in the Top 30 in points." Nascar should say drivers in the top 30 after race 26 and a win are eligible, regardless of races attempted, will get into one of the 16 Chase positions, provided they meet the remaining conditions for becoming one of the 16 Chasers. Off the soapbox.

Humpy_Boater

EDIT - Becuse some thoink they speel beter than mi. Sum peeples keds! :D OMG - Somebody reads my drivel. I am impressed. :watermelon:

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Might as well change the wording since every instance seems to be "rare"........ Personally, I like my steaks medium rare....... With a bunch of 'shrooms.... :)

aspeck

Staff member
with every front there is a rear, so "rear instances" happen often. Rare instances happen every time I have steak, because rare steak is the best. And tuna, rare tuna is good also.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I very seriously doubt that Kyle will be back in his car this year, that is a tough injury to recover from.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
with every front there is a rear, so "rear instances" happen often. Rare instances happen every time I have steak, because rare steak is the best. And tuna, rare tuna is good also.

:eek::laugh::pound:

64osby

Admiral
Snuck some time to readjust last weeks adjustments. :embarassed::D

Down in Sunny Florida for my nephews wedding. Drove through New Smyrna Beach and Dayton yesterday. Didn't go look at the track, but it is Bike Week.

Wow! What a crazy madhouse.:eek: Lots of great looking bikes and cars rolling around.:joyous:

GA_Boater

Might as well change the wording since every instance seems to be "rare"........ Personally, I like my steaks medium rare....... With a bunch of 'shrooms.... :)

:eek::laugh::pound:

You guys can :kiss: my
images
!
bounce.gif

Happy hour is over with Harvick running the fastest lap.

To the rare - Allmendinger due to an engine change.

sam60

Captain
Phoenix is a fun race. Did Rattlesnake hill twice.

Go sit up there if you get the opportunity. Fun people and good times.

I have grown weary of crowds.

:der:

GA_Boater

Logano won the XFINITY race followed by 4 non-points collecting drivers. Ty Dillon and Chase Elliott were the first full-time X-Men in 6th and 7th.

The last of the Cup news/updates - Hamlin wants Nascar to ban shifting at Phoenix. He says it's a short track and shifting should be outlawed by Nascar changing the rear gear. I'm starting to think he forgot how to drve a stick shift. Automatics anyone!

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
:facepalm:Duh ... "I don't want to shift any more, it is too hard! In fact, could you just operate my car by remote control and I will sit in here with a monitor and watch TV and eat chips and pretzels and drink beer?" How lazy can a driver be???? Maybe he is tired of bumping Danica and getting in trouble with Ricky?:bump::fencing:

GA_Boater

Nascar Drone races! And they can make Amazon deliveries during pit stops. :doh:

QC

Supreme Mariner
Phoenix is a fun race. Did Rattlesnake hill twice.

Go sit up there if you get the opportunity. Fun people and good times.

I have grown weary of crowds.

:der:
Yeah done the hill twice. Love it!!

Getting ready for Fontucky. If you want to know the downside of the infield scene, just take a read of this ad from one of the fine patrons I may find myself near. :eek:

I have a extra Infield Ticket One Of your friends got sick and Can't come.
So we will sell it for cost $90 . Reg price is $100
You will pay $100
This ticket is for someone that has a friend in the infield. !
Your not staying in my Motor Home !! LOL
I will be in the Infield text me
NO EMAILS !! No Computer at the Track ! LOL
TEXT ONLY !

GA_Boater

I want to see the CL ad for selling his whatever? :D ...................No I don't.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
:facepalm:Duh ... "I don't want to shift any more, it is too hard! In fact, could you just operate my car by remote control and I will sit in here with a monitor and watch TV and eat chips and pretzels and drink beer?" How lazy can a driver be???? Maybe he is tired of bumping Danica and getting in trouble with Ricky?:bump::fencing:

In Hamlin's whinny little voice...........Lol

You know those cars that can park themselves, might as well have cars that can completely drive themselves too and NASCAR drivers can sit there all race and maybe nap for a while, wave at the crowd etc..... Hamlin is an idiot......