7 Day Carnival Cruise

ehenry

Commander
The wife left Sunday on a seven day cruise out of New Orleans on the Carnival Dream to the western Carribean. She's done cruises before but never one of this duration. This is her 3rd cruise to go on and if there is no type of problem this time it will be the first problem free cruise

First cruise was Carnival Ecstacy out of New Orlean to Western Carribean and the ship sailed in a couple big circles out in the gulf, went to Key West Florida for 8 hours the straight back to New Orlean. She got a 4 day cruise out of the deal but Carnaval didnt tell the passengers that due to the swine flu scare in Mexico that they would not be going to the scheduled ports until they pulled away from the dock and were well out in the gulf. One guy on the boat lived in Key West and flew to New Orleans for this cruise. When the ship docked in Key West he went home, checked on his place, mowed the grass and got back on the boat.

Second Cruise was out of Jacksonville, FL on Carnival. Not sure of what ship, to the Bahamas with a couple three stops I think. The cruise itself was fine with no issues but on the flight down her luggage was plundered and her fake jewelry and her makeup bag was stolen. The damn makeup was a bigger loss than the fake jewlery. Several hundred bucks worth. I had no clue makeup was that damned expensive. She goes NO WHERE without full war paint on. Fortunately the airliine, Delta, replaced everything that was taken with no argument at all.

On this cruise she and her roommate spent a little more money for a larger cabin with a balcony on one of the upper decks. I think she will really enjoy that.

I'm not sure I want to get on a boat with four thousand other yahoos intent on partying and drinking for seven days.

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
ehenry, is this YOUR 7 day vacation, or hers?

ehenry

Commander
GM280, read the last line of my post. Besides, its a girl trip. Every cruise she's gone on has been with a bunch of local women friends of hers and none of the other husbands go. Last thing I need is to spend seven days with a bunch of cackling hens.......If she ever does get me to go on a cruise it will be just she and me and maybe one or two other couples.

I couldnt have gone even if I had wanted to. Its sring break for the schools here and two of the four people in our department are out taking their kids and or grand kids on trips to Disney world and Universal Studios.......Somebody has to mind the store.

Speck, no vacation for me. The weather here at home sux. Its suppose to rain for the next 7 days. Cant get out and do a thing unless i'm wearing mud boots.

Last edited:

bassman284

Commander
I'm with ehenry. I just don't see the attraction of a cruise. I'd go crazy. The only reason I get on a boat is to fish from it.

southkogs

Staff member
... I'm not sure I want to get on a boat with four thousand other yahoos intent on partying and drinking for seven days.
... buuuuuuuuut if they'll let me drive :encouragement:

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
As one buddy said, "it's nice to have someone kiss your back side for a week now and then".

ehenry

Commander
I might would one of the glacier cruises to Alaska or maybe a river boat cruise down the Mississippi from up north but thats bout it. The way my luck runs, I'd get on the ship and it would shoot craps like that Carnival ship did in the gulf and be dead in the water for 5 days, no power, no water, no toilets.....nawp thats not for me! That was a BAD deal for the folks on that cruise.

aspeck

Staff member
I thought I would never like a cruise ... was dragged kicking and screaming onto the ship the first time. Have now done 3 cruises. It depends on the ship, the amenities on board, and the entertainment. Cruises can be a LOT of fun, or they can be a drag. Before I changed my eating habits, and I was living to eat, it was heaven. Now eating takes a lower priority, but I will still do a cruise if the location and prices are right ...

ehenry

Commander
Well, Looks like the cruise girls are batting 1000 on problems. The wifes sister went on the cruise and got her wallet stolen in Belize. Fortunately she found it missing quickly, canceled the one credit card that was in it and only lost $200 cash. Thief did not get her passport or anything else.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
That's nuthin' funny ... it just plain stinks. Sorry to hear of it. Glad no one was hurt though.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I thought I would never like a cruise ... was dragged kicking and screaming onto the ship the first time. Have now done 3 cruises. It depends on the ship, the amenities on board, and the entertainment. Cruises can be a LOT of fun, or they can be a drag. Before I changed my eating habits, and I was living to eat, it was heaven. Now eating takes a lower priority, but I will still do a cruise if the location and prices are right ...

The first and last cruise that I went on (early 90's to the Bahamas) was kind of a fulfillment of a life long dream. I too lived to eat and and all my young life my good friend's parent would bring home menus from their cruises to Hawaii. They made me drool for food that I would never see at home.

Fast forward back to the cruise. For dinner they had this big, gorgeous buffet. The ship had been rolling a bit and I was on the edge of nausea. All I could do was to walk around and stare at all the scrumptious food. If I had taken one bite, it would have been all over.

In my current days, I could never do justice to feasts like that. I eat a fraction of what I used to. When we go out to eat, I invariably bring home half my dinner. Sometimes the Mrs and I will even split a dinner.

Twidget

Commander
The only cruises I ever went on involved a bunch of haze gray paint.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Did our first cruise November 2013. Aft view extended balcony cabin, 4 nights and Bahamas from Fort Lauderdale. We went with an open mind and loved every second of it. Did another in September 2014 for 3 nights, another in December 2014 for 7 nights and the most recent one in February this year for 8 nights. The food is great but not what we really go for. Love the days at sea. Not all noise and party either. There are adult only quiet areas on deck as well. Next one booked for December this year for 8 nights again. We may just do another 3 or 4 night one in between if the right thing comes along.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Knowing my predisposition to air sickness (even with meds), I can only imagine me on a week long cruise and blowing grits 24/7 and laying in the room doctoring such conditions. That IS the main reason we haven't ventured on one. Because I think an Alaska cruise to the glaciers would be extremely interesting. But afraid to take the change!

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
We've been looking...only one I'd be interested in is the Mediterranean to Caribbean.. A couple of days in the Med. then cross the Atlantic for a couple of days in the Islands. (8-10 days) The cruises are cheap and half empty.
Airfare has stopped us so far.

DayCruiser

Ensign
Did our first cruise November 2013. Aft view extended balcony cabin, 4 nights and Bahamas from Fort Lauderdale. We went with an open mind and loved every second of it. Did another in September 2014 for 3 nights, another in December 2014 for 7 nights and the most recent one in February this year for 8 nights. The food is great but not what we really go for. Love the days at sea. Not all noise and party either. There are adult only quiet areas on deck as well. Next one booked for December this year for 8 nights again. We may just do another 3 or 4 night one in between if the right thing comes along.

I would do the same. Partying days are long over. I don't like games or dancing. Really don't like to socialize all that much. I do love the Ocean. Food and relaxing by the Sea are all I need. That is if I didn't get sea sick. Haven't been on a boat on the Ocean so I don't know what would happen. I know I would take some pills to try and prevent it

Last edited: