KB Sr

WIMUSKY

Staff member
  • Kurt Busch will not be charged by the Delaware Attorney General's office UPDATE: Kurt Busch will not be charged by the Delaware Attorney General's office. Attorney General Matt Denn's office declined to file charges stemming from a complaint filed in November by the driver's ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll. Thursday's decision concludes a months-long investigation that has kept the NASCAR world guessing what would happen to the driver known as "The Outlaw."
    "After a thorough consideration of all of the available information about the case, it is determined that the admissible evidence and available witnesses would likely be insufficient to meet the burden of establishing beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Busch committed a crime during the Sept. 26 incident," Delaware Attorney General spokesman Carl Kanefsky said in an email. "Likelihood of meeting that high burden of proof is the standard for prosecutors in bringing a case. For this reason, the Department of Justice will not pursue criminal charges in this case."
    Driscoll, president of the Armed Forces Foundation and a defense contractor, alleges Busch grabbed her by the throat and slammed her head three times against the bedroom wall of his motor home during a race weekend in Dover. A Kent County Family Court commissioner ruled in favor of Driscoll last week and granted a protection order against the driver in a separate civil matter. NASCAR, acting off that civil decision, suspended the driver indefinitely, two days before the Daytona 500.
    The order, which expires in 2016, stipulates that Busch has to stay 100 yards away from Driscoll, her home and workplace. At NASCAR races he has to maintain the maximum "practicable" distance from her and not attempt to contact her. "We're very disappointed that the Attorney General's office chose not to prosecute, but it only makes the order for the (protection order) that much more important," said Carolyn McNeice, Driscoll's attorney. "I understand their position, but I am disappointed."(Delaware News Journal)
    AND The decision by the Delaware Attorney General's office, might not affect Busch in the interim because he's under suspension by NASCAR. The sport indefinitely suspended the Stewart-Haas Racing driver before the Daytona 500 -- a decision that was upheld on appeal -- after a family court commissioner issued a detailed opinion Feb. 20 saying that Busch had committed an act of domestic violence against Driscoll. NASCAR hasn't announced the guidelines for Busch's reinstatement but is using a domestic violence expert to help determine Busch's path. Busch has agreed to the NASCAR guidelines. The burden of proof is different in the criminal and civil cases that stem from this incident.
    Kurt Busch Statement: "I am grateful that the prosecutors in Delaware listened, carefully considered the evidence, and after a thorough investigation decided to not file criminal charges against me. I wish to thank my family, friends, fans, and race team who stood by me throughout this nightmare with their unwavering support. Thanks also goes to my legal team for making sure that the truth got out and was fully provided to the prosecutors. As I have said from the beginning, I did not commit domestic abuse. I look forward to being back in racing as soon as possible and moving on with my life."(ESPN)(3-5-2015)

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I sure don't have to agree with the way he has conducted himself in the past when he was younger, nor do I have to agree with his style of racing to say, I don't believe it was fair to suspend him like NASCAR did, based on a civil opinion with no strength in the criminal allegations and now my opinion has been backed up by the criminal authorities declining to prosecute.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Well there is still a protection order in place which is very serious under the Federal guidelines. Protection Orders do not require the burden of proof as a criminal charge does. I hope he has surrendered all his personal weapons and is actually banned from purchasing any until the order is lifted. Yes - he is banned under the Brady Bill. Based on his history of tempers, alcohol and women I think he should seek employment at a 7-11 (of course one that also sells gas)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
I don't know fellas....

Part of me says this guy has had more run ins with people that he deserves a pretty bad beating....

But the other side says NASCAR really pounded him on an accusation without the power of Law and that typically rubs me the wrong way also.

Ultimately I believe in the Law, and I believe it worked properly in this case, I think that if KB doesn't like what NASCAR has done he can go racing open wheel. NASCAR is a private organization, one that must have positive public perception, KB being allowed to race in NASCAR would damage NASCAR's public perception, none of us know how much, but every time NASCAR has had a public relations problem they are quick to cut it loose, yes NASCAR may have a biased or unusual idea of what actions can be public relations issues, but so does the NHL, and the public has responded positively to NASCAR's handling of those issues.

When you race within the NASCAR organization, you sign a contract, you have to in order to get your license, in that contract there are terms and conditions, KB violated those terms and conditions, NASCAR Policy, and will either abide by NASCAR, or race in some other organization.

I'm fine with it, and from what I have seen on NASCAR Forums I am a part of, a large majority of NASCAR fans are as well, KB does not have many bridges left to burn.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Totally agree, Lipp.........

Just because he wasn't criminally prosecuted does not mean he's innocent. It just means that it would be too difficult to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt". Something happened. The only people that know are KB, GF and I believe the GFs kid was there too. There's he said, she said and the middle where the truth lies....

KB is working with NASCAR in the Road to Recovery program. No one as of now knows the details or the length of that program involving KB. Even if he completes the program, he may have run out of strikes....

aspeck

Staff member
I have dealt with too many DR cases ... the burden of proof is far less for a restraining order than it is for a criminal trial. However, with KB's past record, and yes, change is possible, the perception is going to be difficult for him to overcome. I am hoping that NASCAR's steps to redemption plan is truly a good plan that will bring about actual AND perceived changes for KB. All I can say is prayers and good luck to the man ... I hope he finds his way.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
One of the first jobs I had in the Army after I started on my recovery road in '92, (I was shot in ;91) was a gig sitting on a panel, that heard various criminal cases to see if there was cause to move forward, in my capacity, much of it was drugs and domestic violence cases(you would be surprised at the number of DM accusations that happen in the Military) It is amazing how peoples tempers work, I always found, that yes, DM is prevalent, and not just by men, I have ran into some real SOB women! I do know that DM is a very hot topic right now, as it should be, but remember it is an easy accusation to make and many peoples lives have been ruined by that type of accusation. The one thing I have seen in the limited reports available in the news is KB has not really wavered in what he has stated, Driscoll on the other hand, has varied on things since this accusation was lodged and one of the most telling things in this case has been the very important person in her life, who stated she would not believe her story.

I know a lot of people don't like KB, it gets shown on here quite often, but I also don't believe someone should be sanctioned because of an accusation, I think NASCAR hammered him so hard, because of outside factors(Rice) and KB has done a lot of things in the past, where NASCAR finally said, enough is enough, problem is, I believe he is being punished for past transgressions and not current. I talked with a couple of my friends still serving and they are working on crimial situations that happen in the Military and they have had dealings with Driscoll in the last couple of years, based on what they told me, she is not a nice preson either, they are of the opinion, KB, walked into the snake pit and got bit by a viper.

I am not a KB fan, but I am glad that NASCAR has given him a path to redemtion, I just hope it is not a biased path and I hope KB takes a lot inside himself and figures out what he can do to improve himself for the better, because he can drive a car, now he just has to figure out how to be a man. But just remember, becasue the accusation has been made, does not always mean it was what was claimed.

bassman284

Commander
One of the first jobs I had in the Army after I started on my recovery road in '92, (I was shot in ;91) was a gig sitting on a panel, that heard various criminal cases to see if there was cause to move forward, in my capacity, much of it was drugs and domestic violence cases(you would be surprised at the number of DM accusations that happen in the Military) It is amazing how peoples tempers work, I always found, that yes, DM is prevalent, and not just by men, I have ran into some real SOB women! I do know that DM is a very hot topic right now, as it should be, but remember it is an easy accusation to make and many peoples lives have been ruined by that type of accusation. The one thing I have seen in the limited reports available in the news is KB has not really wavered in what he has stated, Driscoll on the other hand, has varied on things since this accusation was lodged and one of the most telling things in this case has been the very important person in her life, who stated she would not believe her story.

I know a lot of people don't like KB, it gets shown on here quite often, but I also don't believe someone should be sanctioned because of an accusation, I think NASCAR hammered him so hard, because of outside factors(Rice) and KB has done a lot of things in the past, where NASCAR finally said, enough is enough, problem is, I believe he is being punished for past transgressions and not current. I talked with a couple of my friends still serving and they are working on crimial situations that happen in the Military and they have had dealings with Driscoll in the last couple of years, based on what they told me, she is not a nice preson either, they are of the opinion, KB, walked into the snake pit and got bit by a viper.

I am not a KB fan, but I am glad that NASCAR has given him a path to redemtion, I just hope it is not a biased path and I hope KB takes a lot inside himself and figures out what he can do to improve himself for the better, because he can drive a car, now he just has to figure out how to be a man. But just remember, becasue the accusation has been made, does not always mean it was what was claimed.

That's powerful stuff, MT. I've long had a strong dislike for KB because he is a jerk and a puke. But the more I followed this story, the more I started feeling sorry for him. I've had the misfortune of being attracted to what turned out to be crazy lady stalkers a couple of times and everything I read about the case told me that's what happened to KB. I recognized a whole bunch of symptoms. Fortunately my stalkers weren't gummint trained assassins. Well, maybe that one gal, hard to tell. In any case, as you mentioned, Driscoll's story gets stranger every time she tells it. First she's a trained assassin who takes out South American drug lords, then she's just a single mom trying to get along.

I have to say I don't really blame NASCAR for suspending him. While they have no idea what actually happened (and probably don't really care all that much), they have to get out in front in this day and age. Show that they're serious about this stuff, even if they don't truly understand the situation. Shoot first, ask questions later. They have to show they're as proactive as the NFL and nobody is really going to object about a puke like Kurt being suspended. Almost nobody really likes him.

I'm mostly an IndyCar fan and Kurt raced the Indy 500 last May and did a pretty decent job. He had one wreck in practice where he admitted it was because he tried to drive the Indy car like a Cup car through Turn 4. It didn't go well. He generally came off as a good guy who was enjoying himself and finished 6th in the race which made him Rookie of the Year. Most IndyCar fans are hoping he will come back this year.

Bottom line, nobody really knows what really happened in the motor home except Kurt and Patricia and neither one is particularly believable. The person I really feel bad for is her son. This stuff shouldn't be happening to a kid.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
don't forget MT that KB has had many run ins, I do not think that NASCAR jumped the gun on this one due to KB's history as a whole, understanding that this is the first DV I know of. I think that NASCAR has grown tired of KB, I can honestly say that I do not know if he will ever race NASCAR again, if he does I do not think he gets another chance.

If it were up to me I would hook him up with Ronda Rousey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OARa6KXur0

I to have heard of Driscoll and I have heard similar of her, but you lie with dogs....

he made his bed he has to sleep in it.

Last edited: