What is this?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
It's hanging straight down from the ceiling in my daughters dorm room. I guess there have been others that her roommate removed. It looks like some sort of cocoon? I'm going to have her look at the end to see if there is a hole in it. Most of the cocoons I've seen are laying flat against the ceiling or wall. This is in Duluth, Mn where it is frigid this time of year.... They do have a study lounge with a bunch of plants on their floor. Wonder if it's from the plants? A bug could have came from anywhere on the floor everytime they open the door. She said it's probably less than an inch long...... I've never seen something like it.....

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
it is a bug cocoon, I get weird ones around here in the winter all of the time, they attach and hang until the weather starts warming up again in the spring, probably some type of small moth, come June they will be around here in droves.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Termites?

I looked at them too..... They have a bug or 2 flying around every now and then about the size of a mosquito, but it's not a skeeter. Her roommate is more worried about it than my daughter. Roommate washed "all" her clothes. Daughter doesn't want to... I wouldn't either...Lol

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Termites?

I don't think so, in the northern teer states I have not seen a lot of evidence that we have much of a termite problem, one thing nice about it, we don't have fleas either, they just don't do well in the cold winters. Like I said, it looks like the small moth cocoons that we get around here in the winter, I would pull it down and destroy it if it was me, I have to pull dozens of them from my porch ceiling every winter.

aspeck

Staff member
If I were her I would pack all my clothes up and take them home for mom to wash!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh come on it is so obvious that while we are on Mars with our rover tooling around, they are on Earth doing the same thing... *** for tat...

rogerwa

Commander
If that is UMD, I have a son who is a freshman there this year.. No idea about the spot.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If I were her I would pack all my clothes up and take them home for mom to wash!

Wouldn't be the first time! She is coming home this weekend...Hmmmmmmmmm

It's certainly nothing to worry about...

Tell that to 2 girls..... :facepalm: My daughter is the least concerned.....

If that is UMD, I have a son who is a freshman there this year.. No idea about the spot.

Yep UMD, she's a freshman too.......

They said the coccoon moved. It may be just a bug even tho it didn't look like a bug in the pic. It was on the ceiling and my daughter went up and smushed it. She said it was a moth. The only issue would be if it's a clothes moth.......

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have three girls... and the wife... all deathly afraid of grasshoppers and such. I feel your pain brotha! :tea: