Hot tubs anyone?

Dogsluvtrux

Cadet
Looking at getting a hot tub....one, love being in the water but winter in Central IL doesn't allow it. Two, multiple broken bones, dislocated joints and generally pretty good stories of stupid things of my youth...and Three, I'm getting old! Never owned a hot tub, but enjoy them when I get in, anybody own (owned) one to recommend a brand? Local dealer is Hot Springs, but seems pricey. Maybe expectations are off? Looking for 6 person, not sure about a lounger option. Thoughts?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have owned quite a few of them over the years, my favorite was the Hot Springs, yes pricey, but the best quality tub we ever owned, never had a problem with it and when I sold it, I received almost what I paid for it and we had it 4 years. I no longer have an outdoor tub, to darn expensive to keep hot, we now have a large indoor Jacuzzi tub in the master bath, my wife does not like hot more, but I love them, and use them for the exact same reasons you have mentioned.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
We have had 2 over the years. The first was a semi-portable. Nice but not really deep enough. Now we have a larger tub. It does have a combo seat in it. One of the seats can be used as a regular seat or as a lounger. Ours is a Lazy Boy. I add chemicals once a week to maintain the balance, other than that it is pretty much maintenance free.

When looking, consider your uses. They come with everything, TV's, stereos. What will it be used like? Will you and the admiral use it, or use with it friends?

Salt water pools are supposed to be easier to maintain. Look at operational/maintenance costs. Is there a dealer nearby for service work if needed. Do you have a place to dump the water? Ours recommends changing the water every 3 months depending on usage.

Ours is outside under the gazebo on a concrete floor. If it is on a deck, make sure that the deck can hold it. Up here decks have to be able to hold 5000lbs to support a hot tub. Before the gazebo our was on the deck. It is a great feeling sitting out at night in the hot tub looking up at the stars.

How easy/hard is it to get power to it? If you place it outside to help keep heating costs down, put rigid foam underneath.

Do you have a place to dump the water?

Dogsluvtrux

Cadet
We poured 1700 square foot of a patio a few years ago and put up a 24' above ground pool, and the backwash goes into a French drain underneath the trampoline. We live on a few acres outside of town, closest neighbor is a mile or two away. Electrical was run for the pool, but looks like I def. want 220v, should be too bad to do since we upgraded to 200amp service when we put in the pool (added a generator as well)....like the idea about the foam. Do I need to do it if it's setting on a concrete pad? 90% or more of the time it will be the Admiral, myself and the kids (6,9,17), maybe family on occasion. I'm assuming hot tubs are like tents.....a six person will sleep 3-4 unless you want to be really cozy.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Definitely put the foam under the tub on the concrete pad. The concrete will be a giant heat sink trying to suck the heat out of the tub. The foam will make it more efficient and help to reduce your power bill.

You're right hot tubs are like tents. Our 6 person tub will seat 6 but they will be cozy. For comfort, the most is about 5. You will most likely need a shut off nearby, this part of electric code. Check with a local electrician. They are easy to connect. Depending on the distance from your panel and hot tub size you will need at least 8 gauge wire or maybe larger.

For maintenance I found the best way is to add them right after you get out. This way, the tub is ready for the next time you want to use it. Some colours are easier to clean than others. We have hard water here, so we get a scale ring where the cover meets the acrylic. It is easily wiped off, but a darker colour(ours is white) would make it less noticeable.

They are awesome to use after you have had a hard day. I use it just before bed to unwind and sleep like a log.

Ours also has a neat feature. There are 2 small "jets" that are above the water line. They almost like a small water fall, that are adjustable. Having that warm water fall on the back of your neck is very relaxing. Like I said earlier check on the options available.

Also look at packages. Some suppliers give you just the hot tub. Ours came with everything. The only thing I needed was a length of power cable and bathing suit. The local disconnect, and enough chemicals to last the first 3 months all came with the tub. They even delivered and placed the hot tub. Since you are outside of town, this is a huge feature to have. Also look at after purchase service. If you ever need it, maintenance/warranty service is nice to have, without additional fees.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hot Springs are the best. My mom has a Hot Springs and I don't. The Hot Springs will likely pay for itself over time in electricity savings.

I don't use mine anymore because it isn't worth the electricity cost for the amount of time I use it.

Dogsluvtrux

Cadet
That's a good point.....realistically what does a hot tub cost to run per month? I know, if I have to ask, I can't afford it....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have mine on 220 so I keep it at 80 until I want to use it and it takes a few hours to heat it up to 102. Is Southern California it's between $30 and $50 depending on how much you use it. A lot depends on your electrical costs and how cold it is outside.

i was using mine less that one time a month so I turned it off and drained it. It's free to any one who wants to cart it off!

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Might take you up on that Bruce, as soon as I can take the plow off the flatbed!

dwco5051

Commander
That's a good point.....realistically what does a hot tub cost to run per month? I know, if I have to ask, I can't afford it....

Mine ran about $30 a month here in Central Pennsylvania and I used it year round.

I had it when I was in my my middle to late '50s. I was playing hockey at the time in a league where most of the players were college age. Our ice time was very late in the evening and many a time getting home and hitting the tub around midnight was the only thing that kept me able to go to work the next morning.

Last edited:

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My dad had the ultimate setup. A little 6 person for mom and him on the side deck. Here is the awesome part. It was on the wall adjacent to the kitchen so he twinned it. There was another hot water heater, stove/oven, sink, dishwasher, garbage disposal, refrigerator/freezer and counter space with a tv and bbq grill all out on the deck. That's not even the best part. He never put chemical in it ever. You could get in with sunscreen on or a little sweaty and it didn't matter. He plumbed it into the backyard sprinklers and watered the yard mon-fri. The Friday night he would rinse it a little and fill it up with twin 55gl natural gas water heaters as hot as he could get it. After about an hour the hot tub heater would make up the rest. It was perfect! My dad's a genius.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My 6 person Hot Springs would not have been filled with even twin 55 gallon tanks, that sucker was big, my 6 foot Jacuzzi bath tub takes 55 gallons to get it full.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
My dad had the ultimate setup. A little 6 person for mom and him on the side deck. Here is the awesome part. It was on the wall adjacent to the kitchen so he twinned it. There was another hot water heater, stove/oven, sink, dishwasher, garbage disposal, refrigerator/freezer and counter space with a tv and bbq grill all out on the deck. That's not even the best part. He never put chemical in it ever. You could get in with sunscreen on or a little sweaty and it didn't matter. He plumbed it into the backyard sprinklers and watered the yard mon-fri. The Friday night he would rinse it a little and fill it up with twin 55gl natural gas water heaters as hot as he could get it. After about an hour the hot tub heater would make up the rest. It was perfect! My dad's a genius.

This sounds kind of like our gazebo. We have the hot tub, fridge, sink, BBQ, gas griddle, dining table and a couple of chairs out there. When we built it we went to a sail maker and had vinyl panels made. They were a chocolate brown border with a clear vinyl (think boat cavas top style) arch top windows. These extend from the top down to a handrail set at 40" height. From the handrail down we have safety glass windows. This past summer we put in bug screen so we can enjoy it with out having the annoyance of Mosquitos, or other biting insects. Also put a heater out there so we can extend the amount of time we use it.

We used safety glass because of our small nieces and nephews. If the glass breaks it doesn't fall apart in large sharp pieces like regular glass. It also doesn't fall apart like tempered glass. Because it is laminated, it will break but basically stays together.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 6 person Hot Springs would not have been filled with even twin 55 gallon tanks, that sucker was big, my 6 foot Jacuzzi bath tub takes 55 gallons to get it full.

Sure full at 130 degrees and they fully recover in about 30 minutes. So figure about 400 gallons of 100 degree water in that first hour with the jacuzzi heater helping. Plus we are big people in my family. My dad is 6'1" I am 6'4" my wife is over 6'. We displace a lot of water. Also getting in at 90 degrees is easy on the body and who cares if it was 6" shallow at first. The whole idea is it was a fast fill/heat up where most others would take all weekend. I now have a tankless water heater so if I do the same setup mine will be hot as fast as I could fill it. A little costly though.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
We recently upgraded from an old Coleman 3-person (only if you're really friendly) to a Hot Spring 3-person tub. The Hot Spring is light years beyond the Coleman in quality and build. I'd highly recommend a Hot Spring tub.